follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #43
runfrodorun

Drives: Red 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't blip on an up shift. I know it is tempting but it is backwards to what you want to achieve. When down shifting you are going from a gear with lower RPMs to one that is going to bring them up so you have to blip to rev match and speed up the engine closer to where you want to be. When up shifting you are going from a gear that is in high RPMs into one that will start out much lower. You actually want the RPMs to drop a bit in the up shift to be closer to the synchros speed in the higher gear.
Make sense?
I do not blip on upshifts, sorry if what I wrote was confusing. Was just talking about downshifts. I just let the RPM fall, and I engage when the time is right. Or if I'm single clutching, I just shift with a purpose. Not as fast as I can, just with a purpose, and I release the clutch when the RPM's match.
runfrodorun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to runfrodorun For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #44
runfrodorun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Oh, I wasn't suggesting the mod. Quite the opposite. Bring it back to stock and see if that doesn't first solve the issue.

Sorry. I can see how my post read that way.
I have your sig link opened in another tab, I hope I can get to doing the adjustment some time in the next week, otherwise it will have to be a thing for next year.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrodorun View Post
I do not blip on upshifts, sorry if what I wrote was confusing. Was just talking about downshifts. I just let the RPM fall, and I engage when the time is right. Or if I'm single clutching, I just shift with a purpose. Not as fast as I can, just with a purpose, and I release the clutch when the RPM's match.
Perfect. Just trying to work through all the possibilities since it is odd that one guy had the same issue with two trannys.
I seem to be blessed with a perfect tranny so I am always baffled when somebody has issues. They apparently were not all made the same.
Capt Spaulding (11-09-2017), runfrodorun (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #46
runfrodorun

Quote:
Perfect. Just trying to work through all the possibilities since it is odd that one guy had the same issue with two trannys.
I seem to be blessed with a perfect tranny so I am always baffled when somebody has issues. They apparently were not all made the same.
I agree its strange, but I just don't see how I could be driving this poorly after a million miles in manuals. I do appreciate your diligence though, if I'm doing something wrong I would want to know, since it's my wallet that gets punished for it. I'm going to try doing the clutch adjustment and see what happens with that. the symptoms do reek of a poorly adjusted clutch, and I thought that I ruled that out but in light of some of this new information, I'm going to go back to that. I could see somebody wanting to delay the travel if they tracked it, because then they would want more force in the fully engaged position to prevent slip under high stress situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to runfrodorun For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #47
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,986 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I agree its strange, but I just don't see how I could be driving this poorly after a million miles in manuals. ...........
I think you should just get rid of that car ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #48
Tcoat

Quote:
I agree its strange, but I just don't see how I could be driving this poorly after a million miles in manuals. I do appreciate your diligence though, if I'm doing something wrong I would want to know, since it's my wallet that gets punished for it. I'm going to try doing the clutch adjustment and see what happens with that. the symptoms do reek of a poorly adjusted clutch, and I thought that I ruled that out but in light of some of this new information, I'm going to go back to that. I could see somebody wanting to delay the travel if they tracked it, because then they would want more force in the fully engaged position to prevent slip under high stress situations.
At least you understand I am just trying to remove variables not critique your driving without having a clue how you drive. Too many would get all pissy instead of answering.
Now that we have remove technique for the list I have to go with Ultra on that it seems to be more clutch related than synchro. I can see one tranny being beat on with bad synchros but the new one should not be the same. The coincidence is more than my poor feeble mind can accept.

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-08-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
runfrodorun (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #49
runfrodorun

Quote:
At least you understand I am just trying to remove variables not critique your driving with having a clue how you drive. To many would get all pissy instead of answering.
Now that we have remove technique for the list I have to go with Ultra on that it seems to be more clutch related than synchro. I can see one tranny being beat on with bad synchrs but the new one should not be the same. The coincidence is mare than my poor feeble mind can accept.
I agree.

I just met with a member, and we compared cars. His shifted /significantly/ nicer than mine with the original transmission in it. /S-i-g-n-i-f-i-c-a-n-t-l-y/.

If I push the clutch in extra hard and wait a long time, and then shift with a lot of force, it seems to go in without as many complaints, but it still chatters and grinds just a tad once in a while.

Will adjust next summer, and hope to god that that solves the problem. I will be a very happy guy if it does.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #50
runfrodorun

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I think you should just get rid of that car ..........

humfrz
If it comes to that it might just be LS2 time. But that depends where I live and if emissions will be a concern.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #51
humfrz

Quote:
If it comes to that it might just be LS2 time. But that depends where I live and if emissions will be a concern.
Well, I really believe, that sometimes a car and a driver are just incompatible.

Obviously, something is messed up in the drivetrain of that car and it may not be worth your time and aggravation to try to figure it out.

I recall, back-in-the-day, I bought a new Austin Marina. I thought it would be a handy, practical little vehicle for my wife to drive.

I tried soooo hard to like that car .....

That car was nothing but a pain in the ass. You name it ...... it went wrong. Finally, the differential started grinding, so I opened it up, gad what a mess, so, I closed it back up and filled it up with axil grease.

I sold the car to this hot shot young man, that was a f _ _ _ ing know it all.

THE END

humfrz

PS @Tcoat ,have I told this story before ......
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, I really believe, that sometimes a car and a driver are just incompatible.

Obviously, something is messed up in the drivetrain of that car and it may not be worth your time and aggravation to try to figure it out.

I recall, back-in-the-day, I bought a new Austin Marina. I thought it would be a handy, practical little vehicle for my wife to drive.

I tried soooo hard to like that car .....

That car was nothing but a pain in the ass. You name it ...... it went wrong. Finally, the differential started grinding, so I opened it up, gad what a mess, so, I closed it back up and filled it up with axil grease.

I sold the car to this hot shot young man, that was a f _ _ _ ing know it all.

THE END

humfrz

PS @Tcoat ,have I told this story before ......
Nope. That is a new one. All clear.
humfrz (11-08-2017), Ultramaroon (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #53
humfrz

Quote:
Nope. That is a new one. All clear.
That's a relief ....... I thought maybe that I was going to have to start making up some new ones .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #54
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have your sig link opened in another tab, I hope I can get to doing the adjustment some time in the next week, otherwise it will have to be a thing for next year.
I remembered the no-brainer while driving home tonight. Bleed your system to make sure it isn't just air taking up travel!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #55
runfrodorun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I remembered the no-brainer while driving home tonight. Bleed your system to make sure it isn't just air taking up travel!
So I went out for a pretty long drive last night. After it was really warmed up, it was behaving pretty well, but it was just around town driving. May be a little different at freeway speeds. I also met up with a local FRS owner and drove his car, his transmission really felt perfect in comparison. His climate control wasn't behaving that differently from mine either. I may have just been remembering wrong; either that or mine has started working since. who knows.

I did some experiments with the clutch. I think it's totally disengaged anywhere less than 1.5inches from the floor, pretty generous amount of room. I could lift it up an inch, and slide it into first, then take it out without moving my foot, and then slide it back in and it would still be lined up and not spinning, meaning its still totally disengaged. so I think it's probably adjusted just fine. I think I could have gotten away with higher. if I wanted to move forward, it was about 1.5 inches that I had to be at to feel it start to grab. Just didn't see the sense in sitting there trying to grind my transmission in the parking lot, seemed silly. It was still skipping two or three teeth going into 5th almost every time, and once in a while it was still skipping a tooth or two going into 2nd, but it was significantly better.

So I guess the take away is this transmission is ridiculously cranky when its cold and still skips a few going in? I'll still try the clutch adjustment, maybe do a bleed in the spring but idk if anything will change. We'll just have to see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to runfrodorun For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-09-2017), Ultramaroon (11-09-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #56
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting reading. I'm another long time manual driver (European, never owned an automatic) and your transmission sounds very similar to mine. I'm on my second brz and they both are my least favorite gearboxes. Unpredictably stubborn and grindy some days, other days a slick delight to drive. Depends a bit on if I'm tired or not, but that doesn't explain it all - the other household car is an STi and that never grinds unless I really screw up the change. With the first brz I spent hours adjusting the clutch, changed to at least 5 different brands of oil, perrin transmission support, no better. With the 2nd brz I've changed the clutch slave as per ultramaroon's guide and the clutch feel is better for sure, but I've kept the original oil.
One thing I've noticed is the tranny is very sensitive to how I disengage the clutch - if I drop the clutch pedal after lifting off the gas to precisely where the car is coasting, no engine braking at all - then it usually slides easily into gear. If I lift off the gas a bit too much before pushing the clutch, so the car is engine braking, it almost always grinds or hesitates into the next gear.
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote