follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #519
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roroskis View Post

They did give me an Application for Refund though, which is a form I'd fill out and send to the Sacramento DMV with the reason for requesting a refund, since they told me they don't do refunds at the DMV office (which I don't know whether or not it's bs too). Do you think this application would actually get me anywhere, or if not, what should I do?.
Once you've paid, you have to go through this process to get a refund...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/adm/adm399.htm

Again, talk to local manager/supervisor. At the same time, speak with someone in Sacramento by calling.

Get all the documentation ready as well as a printout of the website. That would be your backup.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
roroskis (11-23-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #520
tonylop33
Certified Car Nut

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

They did give me an Application for Refund though, which is a form I'd fill out and send to the Sacramento DMV with the reason for requesting a refund, since they told me they don't do refunds at the DMV office (which I don't know whether or not it's bs too). Do you think this application would actually get me anywhere, or if not, what should I do?
I have used that form for a refund on an unrelated issue. It took 8 weeks to get a refund. They told me at the time that no refunds are give at the office. I might still try to talk to the Manager and get them to agree that they made a mistake and then you can add that to the refund request.

Prior cars: 2011 GT-R (still owned), 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang, 2007 Mini Cooper S, 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata Turbo, 2003 G35 Sports Coupe, 2002 WRX, 2001 Z28 SS, 2000 300ZX, 1995 BMW M3, 1882 Nissan 280ZX, 1981 RX7, 1978 Camaro Z28, 1968 Shelby GT 350
tonylop33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonylop33 For This Useful Post:
roroskis (11-23-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #521
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for that Tony, it's really reassuring to hear that explained. I'd really hate to go back to that DMV though, it just seemed so disheartening to have to deal with them. Literally everyone I talked to at that DMV assumed I was wrong in thinking that the penalty was incorrect, and it's really hard to come in with a valid concern with the dismissive and unprofessional attitudes that they had "/

They did give me an Application for Refund though, which is a form I'd fill out and send to the Sacramento DMV with the reason for requesting a refund, since they told me they don't do refunds at the DMV office (which I don't know whether or not it's bs too). Do you think this application would actually get me anywhere, or if not, what should I do?

Thanks again so much for your guys' help. By the way, just so no one has this experience in the future, this is at the DMV office in Hawthorne, CA.
I've filled out that same form for a different issue. Be sure you complete the form with clear details and attach supporting documentation to back your point...you should get your refund...I got my refund in a month or so...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
roroskis (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #522
roroskis

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I've filled out that same form for a different issue. Be sure you complete the form with clear details and attach supporting documentation to back your point...you should get your refund...I got my refund in a month or so...
Thanks again you guys! I really appreciate all of the help. I'll fill out the form thoroughly and update if I get a refund. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else in the future ><
roroskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #523
monisan

Drives: 14' SWP BRZ Limited
Hi everyone! To introduce myself my name is Monica and I've been following the forum for quite a while. This past week I pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on my BRZ from Heuberger in CO. I filled out all the paperwork and mailed it out and I was curious as to whether or not you pay CA sales tax on shipping? Shipping is 725 and was included in the total price of my car. Curious to your experiences on this issue? I'm not sure if the cost of shipping is supposed to be included with the total price of the car
monisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #524
tonylop33
Certified Car Nut

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB Limited 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by monisan View Post
Hi everyone! To introduce myself my name is Monica and I've been following the forum for quite a while. This past week I pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on my BRZ from Heuberger in CO. I filled out all the paperwork and mailed it out and I was curious as to whether or not you pay CA sales tax on shipping? Shipping is 725 and was included in the total price of my car. Curious to your experiences on this issue? I'm not sure if the cost of shipping is supposed to be included with the total price of the car
Mention it to Dawn. She wrote my deal up with the shipping on the line after the cost of the car, so there was no tax on the shipping.

Prior cars: 2011 GT-R (still owned), 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang, 2007 Mini Cooper S, 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata Turbo, 2003 G35 Sports Coupe, 2002 WRX, 2001 Z28 SS, 2000 300ZX, 1995 BMW M3, 1882 Nissan 280ZX, 1981 RX7, 1978 Camaro Z28, 1968 Shelby GT 350
tonylop33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #525
roroskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
Mention it to Dawn. She wrote my deal up with the shipping on the line after the cost of the car, so there was no tax on the shipping.
Same here, she did the exact same thing for my shipping costs.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #526
monisan

@tonylop33 and @roroskis

So, the total cost of the car showed on the paperwork without the cost of shipping? and you had a separate line with your shipping charges? Dawn only mentioned a note on the side that 725 was for shipping, but on the actual total cost of my car shipping WAS included, so my car should've been 725 cheaper? I will definitely give her a call to clarify this as I don't want to pay taxes for shipping. I also paid for the car in full instead of financing if that makes a difference. I probably should've called before shipping off the documents but I am just so excited to get my car as soon as possible I forgot to look into it

Last edited by monisan; 11-24-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #527
davesbrz

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Quote:
@tonylop33 and @roroskis

So, the total cost of the car showed on the paperwork without the cost of shipping? and you had a separate line with your shipping charges? Dawn only mentioned a note on the side that 725 was for shipping, but on the actual total cost of my car shipping WAS included, so my car should've been 725 cheaper? I will definitely give her a call to clarify this as I don't want to pay taxes for shipping. I also paid for the car in full instead of financing if that makes a difference. I probably should've called before shipping off the documents but I am just so excited to get my car as soon as possible I forgot to look into it
Sounds like the same situation as mine, where shipping was written in the side note box - see this posting.
Yes, definitely give her a call - it would be best to make sure that this situation is corrected for all their future buyers.
The other place to check for the correct price is in Section 6 on the Reg343 form - but this one you can fix yourself if it is pre-filled by them incorrectly (because there's no sigs yet). The P.O. on the other hand will get certified/notarized as an "Original" copy, so that has to corrected before the notarization or be re-done, re-sent and re-signed by you.

If all else fails... what the folks at DMV told me is that , if I want, I can request a refund for the tax paid on shipping from the Calif Board of Equalization.
The form seems to be at this link.
davesbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #528
monisan

I'm definitely going to give her a call and most likely ask her to redo that one form that states the total price of my car. Could really put that extra tax money into other things for the new car. I will also bring up that other members on the forum have had this same problem and that DMV is not okay with it. I will get back to everyone on Monday after I call her

Last edited by monisan; 11-25-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #529
monisan

Just an update on the situation: Dawn said that when calculating the total price of the car the system only allows her to add shipping to the total price of the car since I am paying in cash (I think it is separate or a different matter if you're financing). Anyways, she printed another form for me stating exactly what the charges are adding up to the total price and stating my car value before transportation. It will be included in my package when the car arrives. Hopefully DMV won't be too much of a hassle. A tip for future buyers would be to double check that shipping is printed on a separate line and not in the total price of the car before the paperwork is shipped out. I will give an update on the situation once I register the car at DMV and see whether or not taxes will be collected for shipping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monisan For This Useful Post:
davesbrz (11-25-2013), roroskis (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #530
roroskis

Quote:
Just an update on the situation: Dawn said that when calculating the total price of the car the system only allows her to add shipping to the total price of the car since I am paying in cash (I think it is separate or a different matter if you're financing). Anyways, she printed another form for me stating exactly what the charges are adding up to the total price and stating my car value before transportation. It will be included in my package when the car arrives. Hopefully DMV won't be too much of a hassle. A tip for future buyers would be to double check that shipping is printed on a separate line and not in the total price of the car before the paperwork is shipped out. I will give an update on the situation once I register the car at DMV and see whether or not taxes will be collected for shipping.
Thanks for the update Monica, this is really useful information for anyone in the same situation. I hope it goes well at the DMV.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #531
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
What about for dealer destination charge? This shouldn't be taxed as well?
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #532
monisan

Dawn didn't specifically mention dealer destination charges but I would assume it is already accounted for in the total price they offered me. I do believe that shipping services are not taxable in California unless included in the total price of the item (in this case car). I assume Heuberger and most other dealerships include the dealer destination fee in their initial prices, therefore it is taxable. Shipping the car to CA, on the other hand, is completely optional and I believe shouldn't be taxable because it's something additional to what you're buying. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by monisan; 11-26-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Tags
brz, buying, california, colorado, msrp