follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
diirk

Drives: 4Runner
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
Yeah, woman hate on car forums is why I always ultimately stop visiting every car forums I go on over time, cause I get sick of seeing posts from douchebag guys looking down on women, especially when it comes to cars. That's the same reason I avoid meets, I get ogled at and treated like I don't know anything, I've just come to the conclution that most car guys are chauvinistic jackasses.
My wife is the same. She races offroad and knows her way around a car. I'm working on getting her into some track days once the BRZ arrives.

Anyhow, she constantly gets guys thinking she doesn't know anything and is either in a position to not say anything or once again prove herself. It's gets tiring for her. She knows more about many aspects of cars and racing then the majority of guys. It definately affects my viewpoint of women and I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Then again. too many women don't know anything about cars, and in many cases can't/don't even pump their own gas. Both of which piss my wife off too. She figures anyone, male or female should at least be able to take care of the basics. Gas, change a tire, drive a manual, etc.

And here she is in our old racecar. Came in 2nd in class for the season.

diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
My wife is the same. She races offroad and knows her way around a car. I'm working on getting her into some track days once the BRZ arrives.

Anyhow, she constantly gets guys thinking she doesn't know anything and is either in a position to not say anything or once again prove herself. It's gets tiring for her. She knows more about many aspects of cars and racing then the majority of guys. It definately affects my viewpoint of women and I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Then again. too many women don't know anything about cars, and in many cases can't/don't even pump their own gas. Both of which piss my wife off too. She figures anyone, male or female should at least be able to take care of the basics. Gas, change a tire, drive a manual, etc.
Cool, and yeah, the women that don't bother to know anything about cars, change a spare, or how to do anything the least bit hands on like fix a running toilet or other things like that around the house are annoying, you should know how to do that basic stuff male or female.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #31
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, woman hate on car forums is why I always ultimately stop visiting every car forums I go on over time, cause I get sick of seeing posts from douchebag guys looking down on women, especially when it comes to cars. That's the same reason I avoid meets, I get ogled at and treated like I don't know anything, I've just come to the conclution that most car guys are chauvinistic jackasses.
I can see how it could be a problem. Many car guys don't respect women who are involved, hell they can barely respect other men in the car hobby. I also avoid meets due to all the animosity, disrespect and masculinity complexes. When i first read, "I've just come to the conclusion that most car guys are chauvinistic jackasses," I took offense; i found it to be misandristic. But as i gave it some thought, i concluded-- i feel the same. I love cars, yet if i see a guy who is also into cars, i avoid mentioning our mutual interest. It's because many don't want to connect, they want to compete. They immediately unzip their pants, whip out a ruler and want to start measuring.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #32
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
If theres any type of girl out there for car guys, it needs to be one that wants and willing for you to share your passion with her.
^This. You really benefit from having the sort of woman that you can "imprint" aspects of your personality and interests on.

I started with having my girl pose next to my car (that's my avatar pic), watching Initial D with her, taking her to the dealership to sit in a GT86, then teaching her the basics of driving manual (she learned faster than I did), then took her to some local drag races last month. Now whenever I make fun of her Daihaitsu Lotte Kei car and tell her to switch to a 180SX, S15 Silvia, or new GT86, she doesn't frown at the idea but merely insists that I buy it. Maybe in a few years I will...for myself of course. But I'll get an extra set of keys for her.
Noble713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
IDK why, but title reminded me this vid
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yLGIH7W9Y"]Shit Girls Say - Episode 1 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
Shizuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
I can see how it could be a problem. Many car guys don't respect women who are involved, hell they can barely respect other men in the car hobby. I also avoid meets due to all the animosity, disrespect and masculinity complexes. When i first read, "I've just come to the conclusion that most car guys are chauvinistic jackasses," I took offense; i found it to be misandristic. But as i gave it some thought, i concluded-- i feel the same. I love cars, yet if i see a guy who is also into cars, i avoid mentioning our mutual interest. It's because many don't want to connect, they want to compete. They immediately unzip their pants, whip out a ruler and want to start measuring.
Yeah, I didn't intend it to be misandristic, I have plenty of friends who are guys and are totally awesome, it's just something with men and cars (really anything technical) that seems turns them into asses with superiority complexes when it comes to women with the same interests, and yeah, even towards each other with the "measuring contest", and I think I get it even more so by guys in person because I don't dress like the typical girl who's into cars or has any technical knowledge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shizuma For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (09-05-2012), Thekaylakrunkk (12-13-2013)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
random

Drives: Multiple
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Truth. And I'm a guy.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #36
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Leave the guys to do their things and girls to do their thangs. If your significant other has genuine interest in you he/she will try to find a way to understand your interest because she generally likes/loves you and wants to be a part of it. Simple as that.

Guys like cars and girls like shoes. Keep both interests in their respective places.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss

Last edited by S2kphile; 09-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #37
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
how well does she drive a stick?

(not trying to be dirty, just got done teaching mine how to!)

Funny, mine taught me 12 years ago when we first started dating.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #38
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't intend it to be misandristic, I have plenty of friends who are guys and are totally awesome, it's just something with men and cars (really anything technical) that seems turns them into asses with superiority complexes when it comes to women with the same interests, and yeah, even towards each other with the "measuring contest", and I think I get it even more so by guys in person because I don't dress like the typical girl who's into cars or has any technical knowledge.
My experience is that car guys are as you described. But go to a race and talk to the drivers and it tends to be a different story. People are more intent on helping and learning then measuring. At least in the pits, and you can't talk to them on the track.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
Shizuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Guys like cars and girls like shoes. Keep both interests in their respective places.
That's not necessarily true though, I also know guys who like shoes and don't care about cars, and girls who like cars and don't care about shoes, or ones like myself who like both, and others who like neither.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #40
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
It's funny how a thread about Poo turned to a battle of the sexes.... Sortof.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #41
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

see that's where i'm different. when i've got a gf (like now), and i see a girl at a car meet, i treat her like just one of the guys. safest way to not make ashe mad.
wrxgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #42
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
see that's where i'm different. when i've got a gf (like now), and i see a girl at a car meet, i treat her like just one of the guys. safest way to not make ashe mad.
or just ignore her until she ask a question then go about simply as possible to answer her question. Usually when I see girls at these places they're with their boyfriends or they're modeling for some company. The one I'm asses to are the models. Why? because every guy there is ooogling them, being nice, asking for pictures, hitting on them; as a result, boosting their EGO. While I put them on the spot asking stupid questions about their companies products and making stupid ass jokes. Basically anything to neg their EGO. Yes, I'm a jerk and I don't give a ****.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Missy (12-13-2013)