follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyttz View Post
ok, you need to understand the different types of transmission if you are going to talk about them...

automatic w/ torque converter - 370Z, old crappy sluggish automatics, etc. basically it can be as good as they want it to be, but bottom line is it will drain power and give you bad mpgs. built it can do great things, but that is expensive... so you usually see less than stellar examples.

automated dual clutch manual - DSG, EVO X MR, R35 GTR, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 458/ California, Porsche PDK. this is a manual transmission with two gear sets and two clutches. 1-3-5 and 2-4-6. when you are in one gear accelerating, the next one pre-engages to shift really fast and smooth. not as smooth as a traditional auto, not as controllable as a manual.

automated single clutch manual - Lexus LFA, older Ferrari's, Audi R8, Lamborghini, BMW SMG, SMART. manual transmission with 1 gear set and 1 clutch like a traditional manual. 1-2-3-4-5-6. basically, if you drive hard, it works great... but at low speeds, its like someone driving a manual for the first time. jerky, harsh engagement, and its also bad for the clutch.

that said, paddles aren't very intuitive to use unless you never drove a manual. i have driven all types and i couldn't even get used to a Ferrari. i was driving a Ferrari and i wanted a manual BAD. if you learned to drive on playstation, then perhaps you'd be happy using paddles like you would the L and R buttons to shift.

anyways, options seem likely to be traditional automatic w/ torque converter or automated dual clutch manual. the trend lately is towards the automated dual clutch manual because of gas mileage and its shifts are acceptably smooth for most applications. (high end luxury cars still stick to the old automatic for smoothness) regardless of what it is, it is only as good as they make it... so a test drive is in order regardless.

Thanks this explains alot! the complication of reading this makes me just wanna get a manual lol for alot one very basic reason. Auto is prolly an option that will jump the price by 1 or 2 k lol you can't seem to go wrong with a manual. And I just remembered it's going to be a manual box from the company that made the S2k manual. That's pretty much a selling point. Yeah I'll stick to manual lol But I'll give auto a chance when I test drive it
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #30
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Traditional torque converter autos actually are getting better I think because they're being designed to lock under more conditions, and are getting more gears.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
6MT for me. It is more fun plus if I ever decide to add a bunch of power, chances are that the Manual will handle it better than the auto.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #32
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Honestly, I'd pick manual even if I had to commute in hellifornica. I hate traffic like everybody else but shifting/clutching is second nature for me. I'd hate it if my knees ever went bad because I love to drive w/ manual gearbox..

This car probably won't be too bad with an automatic either, heck it'll probably get similar gas mileage for most people since autos tend to get a really tall OD. Which I think sucks because a manual should get both short gearing for acceleration and then the tall OD gearing for FE but I digress.

So no need to hate, slushies can hang too .

And the only Autos Subaru has in it's parts bin is the 4spd torque converter style and CVT. They don't use any of the automated manuals. The best hope in that regard is that they outsource or use a Toyota supplier. Although a CVT could technically be reprogrammed (aftermarket) to hold any 7 "gears ratios" you want, it might be a necessity to upgrade the CVT internals if you get above stock power .

He's to hoping the gearboxes in the FT-86 are solidly built variants !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #33
huyttz

Drives: 90 300ZX TT, 09 GTI, 03 WRX
well subaru is supposedly looking to aisin to source transmissions for this car... looking at their website, there is no dual clutch option, only a single clutch automated option. they do have a 6-speed traditional auto and CVT.
huyttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #34
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
6MT for me. Having an automatic would take a lot of the fun factor out of driving this car.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #35
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I dont get you guys, the car will come with a automatic stick WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS.

Paddle shifting is not automatic, i swear if u say otherwise...idk what to say..

So you get the LUXURY of having an automatic for traffic/ or if u wana text..eat..w/e u want. with paddle shifters, when you feel like owning some people on the track or on the street(dont do it!!)... lol

You can choose what gear u want to be in with a Paddle shifter...

Yes i have a Ps3, gt5 and a g27 wheel with paddle shifters + a stick shift.

I find paddle shifting fun.... maybe i drive gt-r thats why..
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #36
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
I dont get you guys, the car will come with a automatic stick WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS.

Paddle shifting is not automatic, i swear if u say otherwise...idk what to say..

So you get the LUXURY of having an automatic for traffic/ or if u wana text..eat..w/e u want. with paddle shifters, when you feel like owning some people on the track or on the street(dont do it!!)... lol

You're not making any sense.

The fun isn't in "picking" what gear you want.

It's in the hand-eye-foot coordination. Not only are you picking the gear but you are varying the degree of engagement with the clutch. This is something automatics can NEVER replace.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #37
dalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
You're not making any sense.

The fun isn't in "picking" what gear you want.

It's in the hand-eye-foot coordination. Not only are you picking the gear but you are varying the degree of engagement with the clutch. This is something automatics can NEVER replace.
Please explain what part i dont make sense in.

I do not understand you, explain more please.

Lets stop talking about the automatic gear box and stay focused on the paddle shifter.

edit:

Im thinking like this: The car will come with an automatic gearbox with paddles. To me, this means: You have the option of using the car just like you would in any automatic and the other option is to use the paddle shifters as a sequential.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #38
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Please explain what part i dont make sense in.

I do not understand you, explain more please.

Lets stop talking about the automatic gear box and stay focused on the paddle shifter.

edit:

Im thinking like this: The car will come with an automatic gearbox with paddles. To me, this means: You have the option of using the car just like you would in any automatic and the other option is to use the paddle shifters as a sequential.

why u so angry guy?

Relax dalli, we're talking about how the shifting is done not whether you can pick gears or not. If you don't do the actual shift work, they are considered automatic gearboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #39
dalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post

why u so angry guy?

Relax dalli, we're talking about how the shifting is done not whether you can pick gears or not. If you don't do the actual shift work, they are considered automatic gearboxes.
ok sorry lawl

gona go get my laundry

Keep this thread going guys, I want to see more of a technical aspect of it
Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #40
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Quote:
It's extremely simple: If a vehicle doesn't have a 3rd pedal (clutch) it should be considered an automatic transmission.

This goes for some of the newer sequential transmissions as well.

Stick in this day and age is great because it's just another way of telling people that they're not allowed to/can't drive your car unless they actually know how to handle and respect a car. If I end up getting a FR-S it'll be most definitely be stick so I can pull the same stunt.
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #41
dalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
It's extremely simple: If a vehicle doesn't have a 3rd pedal (clutch) it should be considered an automatic transmission.

Stick in this day and age is great because it's just another way of telling people that they're not allowed to/can't drive your car unless they actually know how to handle and respect a car. If I end up getting a FR-S it'll be most definitely be stick so I can pull the same stunt.
maybe the problem for me is that i live in NYC, i vowed i never get a car in nyc but im considering this car when i go upstate for university.

I do drive at times in nyc but only in my borough( local).

I want the manualllll sooooooo bad, like really bad but the traffic of nyc....

There isn't any point of having a car in NYC, especially if are commuting to Manhattan. The Trains take me faster to my location in Manhattan than a car. (I am comparing this to traffic)

All we do is...press gas>1ms later>press brake...repeat
Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #42
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post

My definition of auto-tragic is torque converter. Torque converters are evil, heavy, power suckers.

For example if they only made one transmission, I could tolerate a twin-clutch, but not a slush-box.

But 3 pedal manual for me, please and thank you.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote