follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
This is a service I have never heard of. Really small local shop? That is a pretty cool convenience for a winter tire setup. Not sure if I'd do it with nicer wheels but stocks and a winter setup? Sure.
Smallish town shop. They have 4 big containers out back that they store your wheels in and take great care of them so even nice ones would be fine. They are a very professional shop so they don't cut any corners on the installation and removal. They used to just charge $20 to swap the wheels and the storage was free. Last year their insurance went up because of all the storage so they added a $10 a year storage fee. Still bloody cheap and as convenient as hell! It is hilarious to see my car in there though since they specialize in Police cars and lifted pickup trucks. My wife works for an RV sales place and they do all their work as well.
arrow34 (12-08-2016), Summerwolf (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #30
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,068 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is a service I have never heard of. Really small local shop? That is a pretty cool convenience for a winter tire setup. Not sure if I'd do it with nicer wheels but stocks and a winter setup? Sure.

I know of several independent shops that do this. Obviously, it depends primarily on what kind of building they're in to begin with, but surprisingly few people take advantage of this service, so space usually isn't a big problem anyways...
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #31
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Again. I could put my own on but I simply don't want to! My tire shop stores mine and for $30 a year I can just pull in and have a quick coffee and doughnut while they take about 10 minutes to swap them out. Why the hell would I want to mess around with a jack in my open driveway for an hour just to change some wheels? Time for me is precious but money I have loads of.
There are also people that live in apartments where it just is not practical to work on their own cars especially something such as changing wheels. There is nothing wrong with people having others work on their cars if that is what they want.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #32
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Smallish town shop. They have 4 big containers out back that they store your wheels in and take great care of them so even nice ones would be fine. They are a very professional shop so they don't cut any corners on the installation and removal. They used to just charge $20 to swap the wheels and the storage was free. Last year their insurance went up because of all the storage so they added a $10 a year storage fee. Still bloody cheap and as convenient as hell! It is hilarious to see my car in there though since they specialize in Police cars and lifted pickup trucks. My wife works for an RV sales place and they do all their work as well.
That is a pretty good service, I like that. For $30 a year, storage and swap of your wheels. The donuts and coffee make it even more better. Roll up, sit back, and enjoy my coffee and donuts while someone else does the work.
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRyderx2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #33
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart ricers View Post

What is "dumb" about it? I no longer need to stroke my ego that I can do the work. I proved that a long long time ago. I don't find working on my car a fun or enjoyable thing and it has become a task that I would rather just have somebody else do. I have no decent place to do the work and most of my tools and equipment disappeared years ago.
I am in no way advocating that everybody should think the same way as I do but there are many people that do and it is in not "dumb" in any fashion.
MuseChaser (12-06-2016), Summerwolf (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #34
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Smart to me. If you know they have your seasonal tires you're likely to do other / more business with them to begin with. Plus the convenience.

Smart.... I like it. Never seen a business do that here, although we don't get a whole ton of snow I guess either.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
Smart to me. If you know they have your seasonal tires you're likely to do other / more business with them to begin with. Plus the convenience.

Smart.... I like it. Never seen a business do that here, although we don't get a whole ton of snow I guess either.
In the 10 minutes I was there this fall they sold 2 sets of 4X4 tires and a complete installed lift kit on a F250. I would certainly say that it brings people in.
Summerwolf (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #36
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
why is the dealer putting your winter wheels on

jesus!

do you guys even own tools?
I swap my winters/summers at home and have been doing so for twenty years - I should have clarified that my lug nut hand torque request is something I ask for when I have a service that requires the wheels be removed.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #37
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Dont worry 4 studs in the rear should be fine. Sounds like an upside down bar stool to me. LOL
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Dont worry 4 studs in the rear should be fine. Sounds like an upside down bar stool to me. LOL
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2016, 01:17 AM   #39
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The only dumb thing is you insisting on doing your own work based on what you feel is the right course of action.

Do you know the concept of "time value of money"? If so, what is your time worth?

For some people that can do their own mechanical work, the time is better spent doing other things (or nothing at all) versus doing your own work.

Plus, the proper way of installing studs require you to take the wheel hub off, and not everyone has access to a press.

But yes, it's dumb. Keep thinking that.

-alex
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (12-09-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 AM   #40
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I once had sex with a Fiat 500 full of little people dressed as clowns. The Fiat had one stripped stud. We were fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (12-09-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #41
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
kids dont own tools or work on ther cars these dayz

so sad

pay a dealer to swap winter wheels? im so disappointed in this generation
Old 12-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
kids dont own tools or work on ther cars these dayz

so sad

pay a dealer to swap winter wheels? im so disappointed in this generation
Do you seriously believe that all "kids" worked on their cars throughout history? I bet the number is closer to 10% than anything else. Because you did and I did does not mean that everybody did. Not to mention that back in those days a handful of wrenches, a couple of screwdrivers and a hammer were all you needed to rebuild an engine. That is simply not the case with modern cars. There are probably way more on this forum that do their own work than in the general public and it will still be a small percentage. Not realistic to look down your nose at people that do not have the facilities to store and change wheels. The dude living in a 20th floor one bedroom apartment isn't going to stake his off season wheels in the corner of his living room nor haul all the tools and jack down twice a year to do the work. Nothing sad about the whole thing and you need to stop applying your past and interests to those of the newer generation (or most of the old for that matter).
This is the topic that was being bitterly argued over when I was temp banned since the other dude just could not see that not everybody has the facilities or ability to even change their own oil so I am sensitive to the implications and insults thrown out at those that don't.
MuseChaser (12-07-2016)

Closed Thread