follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Understood, and like I said, I totally understand why some folks would want it done to perfection, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I guess my point is that given, to me, my paint is not flawed and I'm quite happy with it, what is the harm doing it without all the extra dollars to get to some state that I don't see a need for? Could it look better, probably. Is it worth the cost to me to get it there, probably not given I'm satisfied now.
The quote I received included basic new car prep, but I asked for the price with correction in case there was the need. In any case, if you can't see the difference then there's no use 'splaining. If you've got the disposable income, get a FULL detail from some of the guys that the euro lux and exotic owners go to. I guarantee your car will look BETTER than new and you'll look like this:

Quote:
And to me, if I was going to spend the money for one or the other, I'd rather spend it on something that will protect from chipping rather than something that protects the shine. If I paid the same for Opticoat I'd regret it the first time a stone takes a chip out of the paint.
I understand the clear-bra, but the number of awesome installations I've seen are MINUSCULE compared to the number of fucked up installations. Going further, a good coverage (whole hood, bumper, mirrors, entire front fenders, area behind front wheel) clear bra can easily run over $1000. Rock chips will happen and they're unavoidable... for me it's about how easy it will be to be maintain the paint plus keeping it fresher looking longer.

Quote:
Different strokes... :happy0180:
:happy0180:
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
$1200 is what I would quote for full front.
Yeah, fuck that. Sorry, haha.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
michaelahess (08-01-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #31
picus

Drives: FJ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clear coated paints don't oxidize.

More on topic; would I leave that on the table? Maybe. It depends on a variety of circumstances. More importantly, with regard to this forum; the members here are likely looking for perfection or as close as possible given the limits of their budget. If they are presented with the option to OC for $300 or OC on 99% paint for $500 my guess is most will choose the later. I know I would.

If a dealer/wholesale opportunity presents itself, so be it...

edit; just to be clear, if someone wants OC on swirled paint, I get it... my point above was that people on this forum are likely trusting their detailer to do what is "best" within a certain budget. Odds are, that budget would include paint correction if needed.

RE: clear film; if you want the most protection within a reasonable budget filming the front end then OCing the entire car (including film) is, imo, your best bet.
picus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to picus For This Useful Post:
C. Charles Hahn (07-31-2012), Dadhawk (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #32
911fanatic

Drives: 2003 W8 Passat Wagen 4Motion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just did an Opti Coat today for a member here. As I instructed him, he had the car delivered with all the plastic intact and he removed it himself. The result? Absolutely flawless paint. Mind you, the car looked like it had been shot to death when I soaked it in Wolfs Deironizer!
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 911fanatic For This Useful Post:
DaJo (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #33
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,091 Times in 11,446 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Theal View Post
If I were a consumer looking to have Opticoat applied to my personal vehicle. I would look for someone who has a reputable name, with pricing I was comfortable with.
Absolutely, it really is what are you willing to pay traded off against the type of services you want.

Quote:
What it boils down to is how much are you willing to put into your investment?
And maybe that's where I differ from others. I have never owned a car I consider an investment, including the FR-S. It's a very expensive commodity item. It will be a VERY long time before any of us will be able to sell our cars for me than we have in them. Probably not in my lifetime, for younger folks, maybe.

Quote:
Do you want the car perfect or is the finish acceptable.
Also, once it is "perfect" how long will it stay that way vs. the price you pay? Even with Opticoat and a clear bra there are no guarantees that a week later the paint will be perfect. It has a better chance, but no guarantees.

Quote:
Keep in mind as a detailer I don't charge servcies based upon what the going rate is or what someone wants to pay me.. My prices are based on what I feel I'm worth.
I'm sure you do a great job and I mean to take nothing away from you at all. In the end though, anyone that stays in business for any length of time ultimately charges "what someone wants to pay" for their services. No businessperson can remain one very long without taking into consideration the value they provide, regardless of what they think their service or product is worth.

To me, it sounds like you have a realistic opinion of your service's value and you have the good fortune to be able to charge what you and your customers consider a reasonable fee.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #34
mikenap

Drives: Mazda3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Charles Hahn View Post
I usually tell people there's a base price that includes one polishing step, but if the car turns out to need more correction extra charges will apply as determined at the time of the appointment (or ahead of time if they request a consultation first).
Exactly what I've been doing. So far, only one 86 I've done has needed/wanted more correction than what a simple one-step would provide. As with everything else, there will be a balance between cost and expectations. If I can't reach that balance with a particular client, I'll politely decline the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikenap For This Useful Post:
C. Charles Hahn (07-31-2012), Dadhawk (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
M&M_Hwy9

Drives: Scion FR-S (AT) Asphalt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Help! Please dont hate me. I paid the dealer Almost $800 for the treatment, and lets just say, I am not happy with the end result. Can anything be done to correct this crappy application?
M&M_Hwy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
Zoomie

Drives: VW R32
Okay, one more time, WITH FEELING! What is Opti Guard? Who manufactures the product(DuPont, 3M etc)? What are the technical specs/chemical properties? How long has it been in use? What are the shortcomings/downsides(there are ALWAYS downsides)? At the present and after 35 years of detailing automobiles as a leisure activity but in a competition frame of mind my first reaction is SNAKE OIL! Please, prove me wrong...
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
Barry Theal

Drives: Fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Okay, one more time, WITH FEELING! What is Opti Guard? Who manufactures the product(DuPont, 3M etc)? What are the technical specs/chemical properties? How long has it been in use? What are the shortcomings/downsides(there are ALWAYS downsides)? At the present and after 35 years of detailing automobiles as a leisure activity but in a competition frame of mind my first reaction is SNAKE OIL! Please, prove me wrong...

Snake Oil? No not at all. Opticoat is a clear liquid that provides the Ultimate Paint Protection. Its durability is second to none. It is manufactuered By http://optimumcarcare.com/index.php Here is a thread where a vehicle was tested. If you have some time its worth a good read.http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html

Proven results!
Barry Theal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Theal For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2012), Zoomie (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
Hamza7

Drives: MiniVan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_Hwy9 View Post
Help! Please dont hate me. I paid the dealer Almost $800 for the treatment, and lets just say, I am not happy with the end result. Can anything be done to correct this crappy application?
Shit....let's just say it may cost you more money now. What they did was screw up the paint (probably) and now they've "laminated" the results in. Pictures would help, you should probably make a separate thread about this.
Hamza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
C. Charles Hahn

Drives: GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_Hwy9 View Post
When you say "dealer" I'm going to assume you are talking about something other than Opti-Coat?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #40
RaskyR1

Drives: 2012 TSX SE
So this is where all the detailing forum traffic has gone....
RaskyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaskyR1 For This Useful Post:
C. Charles Hahn (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Snake Oil? No not at all. Opticoat is a clear liquid that provides the Ultimate Paint Protection. Its durability is second to none. It is manufactuered By http://optimumcarcare.com/index.php Here is a thread where a vehicle was tested. If you have some time its worth a good read.http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html

Proven results!
Your definition really makes it sound like it protects the paint and can be used in place of a clear bra... which I don't think is true.

Does anybody else have any insight on this? or did I waste my money getting the clear bra?
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
^ it won't protect against chips like a clear braw will - money well spent on a clear braw
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote