follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Someone asked a similar question in Nasioc and this was my reply to them.

I went from a sti to a brz. My biggest complaint with the STI (08' stage 2+) was that you never really got more than 2-5 seconds at WOT before you were going way too fast. It honestly felt like I could never use all the power or grip. It was a fun car in the twisties too but you had to push it so hard to get there. For better or for worse, the BRZ does not have this problem. It does not feel like I'm going slow everywhere like my STI did. Does that make sense?
Yeah, faster/grippier cars often aren't as fun on the road. The Evo IX feels great to drive though. The feedback and responsiveness of the steering is better than the BRZ. But the Evo does have a higher center of gravity and a less direct drivetain. Not to mention, some turbo lag.

I prefer my Eclipse GSX over the Evo because it's a little lower down with a smaller turbo for better daily driving. But the FR-S feels unique enough to make worth owning alongside my Eclipse.

So as with anything, that's something you're going to have to figure out on your own. Waiting until you've paid off your Evo sounds like a good plan though. Of course, waiting also means you may have to put a lot of $ into maintenance with the timing belts and such.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Different kind of car. I had an EVO 8.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes I would.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
PRORICAN

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Unless you're killing yourself at the pump, no.

Unless you want to change AutoX classes, no.

Unless you can't afford your Evo payments and can get a lower payment on the BRZ, no.

I wouldn't trade my STI for one.
This^ I traded my EvoX to lower my payments and also because I had way too many miles on it. If I had lower miles then I don't know if I would have...
PRORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #34
apexaddict

Drives: 2013 FR-S
For what it's worth, I've owned two Evo 9s (at different times) and recently sold my last one to buy an FR-S.

I love Evos, know them like the back of my hand, and have had a lot of success with autocrossing them, but I simply wanted something simpler and different, with a half-decent interior and decent gas mileage for my 70-mile daily commute.

I daily-drove an E85-tuned Evo for nearly 5 months - boy am I saving at the pump now.
#14 STX Scion FR-S - powered by Stranoparts and Moto-East
apexaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apexaddict For This Useful Post:
blu_ (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #35
kyolml

Drives: STI 2008, M3
Evo X maybe,

Evo IX, absolutely no.

Lets find another view. IX is more of a hardcore car, and BRZ is much tamer in the control feel. BRZ is accurate and simple car, which is refreshing in 2012, (think 240SX back in the days), but not with the race car rawness-feel, which Evo IX has some. You can tell it at the moment you drive it. That's one of the reasons people liking their 993s way better than any 996s> cars and will never trade it in for one, because the older cars are special, more raw, more...you name it, even though the newer ones are faster.

At the end of the day, after all the hypes die down, it's about the characters and the feels the car rule, and FR-S/BRZ doesn't convince me that they have those after my first drive. I might change my opinion later with more time with them, but no, not at this point.
kyolml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #36
spiller

Drives: JZA70 Supra, Lancer Evo 5, 86 GTS
I have an Evo 5 and I'll be selling it when I get my 86 because I don't have the space or time to drive all of my cars, the evo has to make way. As someone said above, Evo's are not drivers' cars. They have an artificial driving experience all one needs to do in order to go fast in one is learn how the brake hard and accelerate quickly. The car does the rest for you. Evo's multiply actual driving talent by at least 50% in my honest opinion. I much prefer tracking my JZA70 and I'm sure I'll be able to say the same for my 86.

Let's not also forget that the BRZ looks far better than an Evo9
spiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #37
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't plan on selling either of my Evos.

My long-term plan is
USDM Evo X MR: Daily driver. Light cosmetic/performance mods. The interior quality is more than sufficiently refined for my tastes. But then again my first car was a ragtop Jeep Wrangler so maybe I just have low standards. Room for adults in the back (I DD often), AWD for inclement weather (I'm trying to relocate to Central/Eastern Europe).

JDM Evo IV: Track day car. MOAR POWR! Aiming for a 2.3 or 2.4L, possibly meth injection, and a slightly bigger turbo for ~450whp/tq. The car already feels like a rocket largely stock, and I've got ridiculously bad crank walk too.

One of the twins, trying to fill either of the above roles, would be a downgrade by any objective measure. I still want to own BOTH of them (blue Subie and red TRD 86), but I won't give up an Evo to do it. Gives me time to save money and wait for a supercharger anyway.
Noble713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
I don't plan on selling either of my Evos.

My long-term plan is
USDM Evo X MR: Daily driver. Light cosmetic/performance mods. The interior quality is more than sufficiently refined for my tastes. But then again my first car was a ragtop Jeep Wrangler so maybe I just have low standards. Room for adults in the back (I DD often), AWD for inclement weather (I'm trying to relocate to Central/Eastern Europe).

JDM Evo IV: Track day car. MOAR POWR! Aiming for a 2.3 or 2.4L, possibly meth injection, and a slightly bigger turbo for ~450whp/tq. The car already feels like a rocket largely stock, and I've got ridiculously bad crank walk too.

One of the twins, trying to fill either of the above roles, would be a downgrade by any objective measure. I still want to own BOTH of them (blue Subie and red TRD 86), but I won't give up an Evo to do it. Gives me time to save money and wait for a supercharger anyway.
Hey, how does the turbo lag feel on the IV compared to an X. The IV has the smallest twin-scroll turbo mitsubishi has ever used on it. Does it pick up at 2-3k rpm or does it still feel a bit weak down low?

Also, I'm worried I may have recently developed crankwalk on my Eclipse. It's been making a knocking sound/feeling especially when I set off.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #39
Godzilla

Drives: Godz x MDX x C300
I wish I have a chance to test out the brz or frs first. I had owned few sport cars for past few years. Evo8,360whp 335i 340whp, m3 350whp, r35 480whp, I'm at the point that... Do I really need all those hp? I'm really interesting to get a brz to bring back the driving pleasure without overwhelm by hp.

If u got sick of high hp for a while, i would trade in XI for brz.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:
blu_ (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
DOMOAE92

Drives: DGM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Hey, how does the turbo lag feel on the IV compared to an X. The IV has the smallest twin-scroll turbo mitsubishi has ever used on it. Does it pick up at 2-3k rpm or does it still feel a bit weak down low?

Also, I'm worried I may have recently developed crankwalk on my Eclipse. It's been making a knocking sound/feeling especially when I set off.

Spools up at 3K and just keeps pulling after that. Then at like 5.5k Mivec kicks in.
DOMOAE92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #41
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMOAE92 View Post
Spools up at 3K and just keeps pulling after that. Then at like 5.5k Mivec kicks in.
I was talking about the Evo IV (4). The Evo IX is the only one with MIVEC which I have driven a few times.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #42
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, so many different replies in this thread! As I have driven a ton of wrx's and STis, but never any evo's or have even ever ridden in an evo, I guess I need to check them out one day to see for myself. Then can compare the two AWD rivals to the twins... heh

A lot of good points coming from each camp, however.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote