follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #4075
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,169 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
@kch I'd skip the ds2500 if your track has heavy breaking zones - I got uneven deposits and crazy rotor vibrations. Essex recommended that they only be used for autox or very light tracking. I guess it also depends on what tires you're running.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
That's the impression I got as well. I'll be on 255/40/17 Maxxis VR-1s, which are probably sticky enough to warrant much better pads. Thanks.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #4076
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Brake pads: I'm used to tracking on stock calipers with Cobalt Friction XR2s. I just purchased the AP sprint kit, and it came with a set of both Fedoro DS2500 and Carbotech XP10. I also purchased some 1521s for daily driving.

Several questions:
1) Should I even bother with the DS2500s? It seems they're too noisy for DD and not enough for track use.
2) Is there any problem with using Carbotech XP10 front and Cobalt XR2 rear? The XP10 compound is a little less aggressive than the XR2s, but I'd rather not have to purchase new rear pads when I have tons of life left on the Cobalts.

Thanks!
You'll have a slight rear bias with the XP10/XR2 rear. Are you pedal dancing?

That's the closest combo, but ideally you want front and rear pads to be the same. Did you purchase brzaapi's kit?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
kch (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #4077
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,169 Times in 645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You'll have a slight rear bias with the XP10/XR2 rear. Are you pedal dancing?

That's the closest combo, but ideally you want front and rear pads to be the same. Did you purchase brzaapi's kit?
Yep, brzaapi's kit. Haven't pedal danced in the past (just 3sec TC hold), but will next time.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #4078
infinity21

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
This is more of a theoretical question but figured I'll ask here since it's been bugging me for a while.
If you're taking a corner in isolation (no worries about what happens before or after), is it faster to take it with a slight understeer or slight oversteer? Assuming the driving is perfect and the you can adjust damper settings to induce the desired behaviour in the car. Looking to understand the best way to maximize the available grip in the tires.
infinity21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #4079
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,522 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Ideally you don't want understeer or oversteer. Realistically, line choice and driving style contribute a lot.

edit: figured I'd clarify. The ideal car is one that never slides at the front or rear (ignoring slip angle and all of that fun stuff) but the driver's comfort plays in. Is the driver smooth enough to make a car that's 100% neutral work? Is the driver more comfortable with understeer or oversteer? A small line choice change can compensate for most car behaviors and if the driver is more comfortable they will be faster. Pro drivers are as fast as they are because they can very quickly adapt to a car by changing their cornering a little bit ir tweaking the car to their liking.

It's really interesting to have two people drive the same car and see how differently they approach the goal of going fast. I recently shared my car with a friend of mine that normally drives much faster cars and it was very revealing how differently we drive, some of it habit from different cars, some of it purely preference.

Last edited by DocWalt; 07-13-2016 at 01:33 PM.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
infinity21 (07-13-2016), ka-t_240 (07-13-2016), Racecomp Engineering (07-13-2016), strat61caster (07-13-2016), Uplink (07-27-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #4080
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity21 View Post
This is more of a theoretical question but figured I'll ask here since it's been bugging me for a while.
If you're taking a corner in isolation (no worries about what happens before or after), is it faster to take it with a slight understeer or slight oversteer? Assuming the driving is perfect and the you can adjust damper settings to induce the desired behaviour in the car. Looking to understand the best way to maximize the available grip in the tires.
Faster in what regard? Faster average speed through the corner? Faster entry speed? Faster exit speed?

Assuming it's a perfect 90 degree bend, for the highest average speed through the corner, slight oversteer.

However, using the damper to induce the desired behavior means you're reducing grip to get that desired behavior.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
CxG (07-13-2016), infinity21 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #4081
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Ideally you don't want understeer or oversteer. Realistically, line choice and driving style contribute a lot.

edit: figured I'd clarify. The ideal car is one that never slides at the front or rear (ignoring slip angle and all of that fun stuff) but the driver's comfort plays in. Is the driver smooth enough to make a car that's 100% neutral work? Is the driver more comfortable with understeer or oversteer? A small line choice change can compensate for most car behaviors and if the driver is more comfortable they will be faster. Pro drivers are as fast as they are because they can very quickly adapt to a car by changing their cornering a little bit ir tweaking the car to their liking.

It's really interesting to have two people drive the same car and see how differently they approach the goal of going fast. I recently shared my car with a friend of mine that normally drives much faster cars and it was very revealing how differently we drive, some of it habit from different cars, some of it purely preference.
In a purely theoretical context, draw a force vector diagram, of the rear wheels pushing the car forward for acceleration, and the front wheels exerting a tangential force for cornering. Now, tilt the drawing to simulate "oversteer" by tilting it in the force of the tangential force from the front wheels. Notice how the lateral tangential force is additive with the components of the rear force vector. Now, tilt it the other way to simulate understeer, and note how the vectors are now subtractive.

Oversteer is always faster, in a theoretical context. In a real world context, you have to be able to manage it, and most drivers will be faster with an understeery car, because they fear oversteer, and avoid it, instead of seeking to exploit it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (07-13-2016), infinity21 (07-13-2016), Lynxis (07-13-2016), strat61caster (07-13-2016), Uplink (07-27-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #4082
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,522 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I was trying to avoid the purely theoretical context for a reason It is definitely worth thinking about and knowing that a truly neutral car is slower than a car with slight oversteer, so hurray physics.

Mathematically neutral and real world neutral are two different things, in my experience. For example, I consider my BRZ neutral, but everybody that's ridden with me comments on how "active" (aka tail happy) I like my car to be. Someone that prefers that little bit of understeer is likely driving a car that's actually mathematically neutral
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
infinity21 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #4083
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I was trying to avoid the purely theoretical context for a reason It is definitely worth thinking about and knowing that a truly neutral car is slower than a car with slight oversteer, so hurray physics.

Mathematically neutral and real world neutral are two different things, in my experience. For example, I consider my BRZ neutral, but everybody that's ridden with me comments on how "active" (aka tail happy) I like my car to be. Someone that prefers that little bit of understeer is likely driving a car that's actually mathematically neutral
neutrality can change with throttle application

If you can't spin your rear tires at a given speed, then you want a looser car. If you can spin your tires at a given speed, then you want to make sure you know which way the rear will go when they spin. Neutral is relative, but loose is fast.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (07-13-2016), infinity21 (07-13-2016), TEWwild (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #4084
infinity21

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the input guys. I feel pretty comfortable with slight understeer (as with many others) but wanted to explore the other side of slip angles to see if it's worth mastering. My bouts with oversteer is one that aims to immediately correct it. I have no reservations going WOT out of corners and applying corrective steering as necessary but I'm not very good at sustaining slight oversteer so it's something I will work towards in future track days

Back to real life, I currently run RCE T2 which slightly understeers with 400/400 springs (at least that's my perception of the car's behaviour). Would it be faster to get the car to oversteer through appropriate brake/throttle/steering application or should I just stick to what I'm doing until I get stiffer springs in the rear? Perhaps the first step is to approach the apex smoothly and try to oversteer out of the corner?

A good example of my current driving style can be seen in the last minute or so of this video
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSI--VO6oZY"]2016-06-11 SPDA DDT lapping - YouTube[/ame]
infinity21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #4085
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I feel pretty comfortable with slight understeer (as with many others) but wanted to explore the other side of slip angles to see if it's worth mastering. My bouts with oversteer is one that aims to immediately correct it. I have no reservations going WOT out of corners and applying corrective steering as necessary but I'm not very good at sustaining slight oversteer so it's something I will work towards in future track days

Back to real life, I currently run RCE T2 which slightly understeers with 400/400 springs (at least that's my perception of the car's behaviour). Would it be faster to get the car to oversteer through appropriate brake/throttle/steering application or should I just stick to what I'm doing until I get stiffer springs in the rear? Perhaps the first step is to approach the apex smoothly and try to oversteer out of the corner?

A good example of my current driving style can be seen in the last minute or so of this video
Your car is faster in a state of heavy understeer. You can learn to throttle steer with your car, but it'll be slower than just letting it plow.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
infinity21 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #4086
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,187 Times in 594 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I am looking to change the pads in my almost track only car. (I drive to some car shows and to the track only.) I want to go with the Hawk DTC-60 pads. I hear rumors of blank rotors being 100% good to track with. Is this true? or is slotted the way to go? My car is NA with DOT slicks.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #4087
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
I am looking to change the pads in my almost track only car. (I drive to some car shows and to the track only.) I want to go with the Hawk DTC-60 pads. I hear rumors of blank rotors being 100% good to track with. Is this true? or is slotted the way to go? My car is NA with DOT slicks.

They are fine, I've ran a couple sets of HP+ and DTC60s on my car, no interest in spending more than amazon prime pricing on rotors.

***Just Remember the DTC 60 dust is corrosive and a bitch to get off after it gets wet and then hot again.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #4088
Yanbags

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys,

Question about wheel hub rings on track. I've read and was told mixed things from seemingly credible sources about whether or not to use them. On track, I'm running 17x9 Enkei RPF1 wheels w/ RE71R tires.

From what I'm gathering for the BRZ on the forums - the wheels are centered by the lugs since they're conical, and after proper star-pattern torquing, there is no load on the studs/lugs. My alignment/race shop and a customer of theirs this weekend claimed metal (aluminum?) hub rings are very much recommended because they've seen broken studs when not used. I tend to trust them because they have several years of track experience and STI/BRZ specific setups but I'm a sitting duck on this one.

What gives?

Quote:
Back to real life, I currently run RCE T2 which slightly understeers with 400/400 springs (at least that's my perception of the car's behaviour).
FYI - I also run the RCE T2 400/400 with their out of the box recommended settings for damper clicks and I wouldn't say it understeers at all on track. It could very well likely be your alignment setup; what are your alignment specs?
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yanbags For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (07-25-2016)