follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #3963
Revolutions Performance

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ RP Turbo Kit
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nameless Performance Equal Length Stepped Header

I will agree that there may be additional gains to be had with further tuning. In a customer pay situation there has to be a balance between the time spent and the money paid, though. I'm happy with the gains I got over the stock mapping and so is the customer. If this were my own car, or my header that I was trying to sell, I would likely spend a lot of time on it trying to extract every last hp at every rpm. I spent about 12 hours on my car when it was stock dialing in every parameter I could think of. Would it be worthwhile to the customer to have me do the same on his car? Maybe. Would he be willing to pay for the time involved to do tune that takes 12 hours? Doubtful. So I took what I learned with my car, applied some of those changes and adjusted from there. With dyno tuning we have a limited amount of time to get the best overall gains while maintaining safety and keeping the costs reasonable. The oem puts thousands of hours into their calibrations, we do not have that luxury. Granted, they are not just tuning for power, but emissions, drivability, nvh, and economy but you can see my point.
Revolutions Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Revolutions Performance For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (03-24-2014), FrsDuke (03-23-2014), LPC_FRS (03-23-2014), mad_sb (03-24-2014), Sargy (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #3964
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions Performance View Post
I will agree that there may be additional gains to be had with further tuning. In a customer pay situation there has to be a balance between the time spent and the money paid, though. I'm happy with the gains I got over the stock mapping and so is the customer. If this were my own car, or my header that I was trying to sell, I would likely spend a lot of time on it trying to extract every last hp at every rpm. I spent about 12 hours on my car when it was stock dialing in every parameter I could think of. Would it be worthwhile to the customer to have me do the same on his car? Maybe. Would he be willing to pay for the time involved to do tune that takes 12 hours? Doubtful. So I took what I learned with my car, applied some of those changes and adjusted from there. With dyno tuning we have a limited amount of time to get the best overall gains while maintaining safety and keeping the costs reasonable. The oem puts thousands of hours into their calibrations, we do not have that luxury. Granted, they are not just tuning for power, but emissions, drivability, nvh, and economy but you can see my point.
I think people are more having a knee jerk reaction to the always lower Dyno Dynamics peak numbers than your tuning.

The relative gains and power delivery you got look good to me.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #3965
Revolutions Performance

I'm used to the "low numbers" haters haha. It's funny too, because these are sea level corrected numbers. People would cry if I posted the uncorrected numbers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revolutions Performance For This Useful Post:
Dimman (03-23-2014), FrsDuke (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #3966
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Quote:
Sorry if it seemed I was at all degrading your tune. Certainly wasn't my intention. What you are saying is exactly why I said its a good idea to see more than one result before drawing a conclusion. I for one am quite pleased with your results as I'm sure the customer is

I'm also very impressed with your openness about cam phasing and your methods. If you were in Austin you'd have my business.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrsDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #3967
Revolutions Performance

I'm really curious to see what other people achieve with this header as well. I need to find time and a car to test my design as well. I expect that mine will not make nearly as much midrange tq, but will make more top end power. We will see.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #3968
LPC_FRS

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
anyone running the new full 3 " exhaust yet? if so any sound clips?
LPC_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #3969
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I spent a good deal of time trying different cam phasing as well as ignition timing and afr's. I'd say this is what this car has in it. I was a little surprised to see a smaller gain in the top end than I expected but I was really happy with the midrange gains I was able to pull out of it vs the untuned setup. I spent a decent amount of time trying to squeeze a bit more topend power out of it but it wasn't to be had. I doubt the stock midpipe really holds anything back at these power levels. On my car with our turbo kit the exhaust is totally stock after the downpipe and I don't feel like it's really holding us back in the 300-320whp range.

Also, I think the majority of folks going for these headers are looking to eliminate the dip, but pick up a little all around. In daily driving I think most people aren't revving much over 5k. If you are, you are really beating on the car for every last bit of power. To each their own, but I think this piece achieves it's goals very well. We have our own equal length header that I will be testing soon as well so see how it compares. I'm interested to see the results.

Do you think that the AT BRZ also can see this kind of mid range encourage result with this header and tune?
Thanks.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #3970
Revolutions Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Do you think that the AT BRZ also can see this kind of mid range encourage result with this header and tune?
Thanks.

I don't see why not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revolutions Performance For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #3971
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
anyone else worried about the possible leaks from the header?
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #3972
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I'm going to be going back to N/a from my Innovate Super Charger running this set up....

1.Crawford Manifold Raisers
2.Nameless Performance Header
3.Nameless Performance OP/FP 3in Combo
4.Perrin 3in Cai + Perrin 3in Inlet
5.Moto-East Flex Fuel Kit
6.Tune (not sure on tuner yet)

(other mods I already have)
7.Perrin LWCP
8.ACT Streetlite Clutch + Prolite Flywheel
9.Nameless Performance 3in to dual 2in Proto Type exhaust.

Hopeing for 200+ WHP on E85......

Before my charger my car was making 191whp with the RevWorks header and stock airbox. So I have faith in this new set up... Wont be anything like boost has been though.

This is the dyno from the new CrawFord Manifold spacers. So this header + Manifold Spacers + Flex Fuel + 3in intake should become interesting.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickFRS For This Useful Post:
Crawford Performance (04-01-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #3973
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
@NickFRS why you ditching the supercharger?

Has anyone with a Perrin unresonated 2.5 catback bought this header? I have this catback and want to know if this header would be earbleed loud paired up with it.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #3974
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
@NickFRS why you ditching the supercharger?

Has anyone with a Perrin unresonated 2.5 catback bought this header? I have this catback and want to know if this header would be earbleed loud paired up with it.
I have. Bought a resonated mid-pipe to replace the unresonated one. It's loud but not earbleeding loud. Want to make it less raspy though.

Last edited by Efferalgan; 03-23-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #3975
enjoyminutemaid

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
I have. Bought a resonated mid-pipe to replace the unresonated one. It's loud but not earbleeding loud. Want to make it less raspy though.
What kind of frontpipe do you have?
enjoyminutemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #3976
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Well, i am very disappointed in those dyno results, I personally wanted to see a flat torque curve with more emphasis on 5k and up rather than a mountain of torque that will be useless once you rev past 5,000 rpm. I hope your stock midpipe is holding back the power over 5k and also that the tune in not optimal (not for your sake obviously, but rather for the performance of the header)

Thank you for posting. If I don't see some more promising dyno's my coated header may be for sale in a couple weeks completely un-used.
Quote:
I spent a good deal of time trying different cam phasing as well as ignition timing and afr's. I'd say this is what this car has in it. I was a little surprised to see a smaller gain in the top end than I expected but I was really happy with the midrange gains I was able to pull out of it vs the untuned setup. I spent a decent amount of time trying to squeeze a bit more topend power out of it but it wasn't to be had. I doubt the stock midpipe really holds anything back at these power levels. On my car with our turbo kit the exhaust is totally stock after the downpipe and I don't feel like it's really holding us back in the 300-320whp range.

Also, I think the majority of folks going for these headers are looking to eliminate the dip, but pick up a little all around. In daily driving I think most people aren't revving much over 5k. If you are, you are really beating on the car for every last bit of power. To each their own, but I think this piece achieves it's goals very well. We have our own equal length header that I will be testing soon as well so see how it compares. I'm interested to see the results.
I'm just guessing a bit, but is the lack of top end gains showing the limitations of the stock cams up top?

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag