follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #3053
JulesBrz111

Drives: Silver AT Stock BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am new here as well.

I am trying to upload I had the CEL/SL a few weeks ago. The dealer tried to fix it but it is now hppening again.

I came from the Philippines.
JulesBrz111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #3054
Aznprd21

Drives: 15 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesBrz111 View Post
I am new here as well.

I am trying to upload I had the CEL/SL a few weeks ago. The dealer tried to fix it but it is now hppening again.

I came from the Philippines.

What code did you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aznprd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #3055
JulesBrz111

Drives: Silver AT Stock BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hello Sir Aznprd21,

Where should I look for that code?do I need to buy my own sensor to check the codes?
JulesBrz111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #3056
Aznprd21

Drives: 15 frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesBrz111 View Post
hello Sir Aznprd21,

Where should I look for that code?do I need to buy my own sensor to check the codes?

You have to have a reader or scanner to get it... underneath the steering wheel is where you plug it in at to pull the codes/ and clear the codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aznprd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #3057
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
UPDATE to my situation.

Ever since my major repair for P0018 a few weeks ago (read my previous posts in this thread to get the back story), my check engine light has now come back on TWICE since then. However, this is a different CEL than before, because there is no traction control "slip" light present, just the CEL, AND the car does NOT go into limp mode at all. Still have all my power and car feels totally normal.

First time was a few weeks ago on the way home from Ottawa. Had driven approximately 16 hours out of the past 48 hours, and the light came on about 40 minutes from home on my way back. I was panicking at the time, but the car was acting normal, and then I started the car the next day, and the light was gone, all by itself. I never ended up getting it scanned while the light was on; not sure if the car stores codes?

Happened again last night, again only about half an hour from home after an almost-2-hour drive, but once again there is no slip light; just the CEL, and the car drives and feels totally 100% normal.

I'm going to try to get this one scanned while the light is still on. While I'm hopeful that it will just turn itself off again, I really don't want to have to deal with this goddamn light turning on and off again and again for the rest of my ownership of this car, because even though it doesn't seem to be making a difference in the way the car drives, it's still plenty annoying and frustrating.

Thanks.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 09-18-2017 at 04:05 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #3058
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
UPDATE to my situation.

Ever since my major repair for P0018 a few weeks ago (read my previous posts in this thread to get the back story), my check engine light has now come back on TWICE since then. However, this is a different CEL than before, because there is no traction control "slip" light present, just the CEL, AND the car does NOT go into limp mode at all. Still have all my power and car feels totally normal.

First time was a few weeks ago on the way home from Ottawa. Had driven approximately 16 hours out of the past 48 hours, and the light came on about 40 minutes from home on my way back. I was panicking at the time, but the car was acting normal, and then I started the car the next day, and the light was gone, all by itself. I never ended up getting it scanned while the light was on; not sure if the car stores codes?

Happened again last night, again only about half an hour from home after an almost-2-hour drive, but once again there is no slip light; just the CEL, and the car drives and feels totally 100% normal.

I'm going to try to get this one scanned while the light is still on. While I'm hopeful that it will just turn itself off again, I really don't want to have to deal with this goddamn light turning on and off again and again for the rest of my ownership of this car, because even though it doesn't seem to be making a difference in the way the car drives, it's still plenty annoying and frustrating.

Thanks.
It might be a CEL for a coilpack. Im going to guess its a coilpack in the same bank where you had the problem with your cams (P0018 I think?). I have the recurrent P0351, which is the coil right next to where my cam problem was (P0016). If it is indeed the coilpack, you can replace just the coilpack and it should be good for a while, but it will come back with time. I havent found a solution aside from just replacing them. But you can still drive the car and push it hard with it (have done several track days with it).

This is a wild guess based on my own experiences that somehow rassembles yours, it might be something completely unrelated.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #3059
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
It might be a CEL for a coilpack. Im going to guess its a coilpack in the same bank where you had the problem with your cams (P0018 I think?). I have the recurrent P0351, which is the coil right next to where my cam problem was (P0016). If it is indeed the coilpack, you can replace just the coilpack and it should be good for a while, but it will come back with time. I havent found a solution aside from just replacing them. But you can still drive the car and push it hard with it (have done several track days with it).

This is a wild guess based on my own experiences that somehow rassembles yours, it might be something completely unrelated.
Argh. Well at least it sounds like a quick fix.

After my most recent update, the check engine light turned itself off again without incident, less than 24 hours after it turned on, just like the last time it came on a few weeks ago. I did not have a chance to scan it while the light was on, again.

Does the car store codes? Should I still scan it anyways?

Does the coil-pack have a specific code that it throws?

Thanks for your post.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #3060
funpolice

Drives: 2017 brz sportech
brand new 2017 brz sport tech MANUAL canada
2nd day at around 100Km engine light came on with P119F P219A
the light went away before by itself after a day

it came back on again the second week. went to the dealership and they scanned it with the same code i got from my obdII scanner.

They still don't know what the cause is yet. Need to bring it back in for another appointment.

The 1st time it came on temperature is around 30 c degree and a bit humid.

2nd time it came on temperature is around 30 c degrees and humid as well.

I think the heat has to do with it. and i don't know if it's only an 6 speed model issue only. Anyone who has this problem, is your car 6 speed?

I know the 6 speed's air filter is different than the automatic.
funpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 AM   #3061
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funpolice View Post

it came back on again the second week. went to the dealership and they scanned it with the same code i got from my obdII scanner.

They still don't know what the cause is yet. Need to bring it back in for another appointment.

I think the heat has to do with it. and i don't know if it's only an 6 speed model issue only. Anyone who has this problem, is your car 6 speed?

Any updates?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #3062
W-GT86

Drives: 2014 - GT86
Hi guys,

I am new on this forum. I have read a lot about this problem but it does not fit exactly the symptons on my gt86 from 2014. The car only has 10k km's on it.

Occasionally I have the stutter/ rough idle, but after revving it sometimes goed away immediately. When it doesn't go away I also hear a slight knock above 3500rpm. This comes and goes as well...

Also important, I noticed it is most of the time when the car is warm. And also reversing looks like activating it.

So I think it must have something to do with a sensor/ signal but I do not know where to look. The CEL code I had was P0019.
W-GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #3063
W-GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpolice View Post

Do you notice anything when reversing? Does it influence the engine idle by example.

I noticed my engine problems (6 speed) are as well influenced by temperature and humidity. I suspect a faulty connector or sensor because of this.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #3064
SLVRSRFR

So after having P0018 repaired by Subaru last August, the CEL came on a couple of times without incident (see my posts above from September). Just a CEL with no slip light, and it would always disappear again the next day all on it's own. It only did this twice between the time of having the repair completed in August, and putting my car into storage in early December.

Well, I drove my car for the past 3 days, and the goddamn light came on once each day that I was driving it. Each and every time, the slip light will flash quickly as the CEL comes on, and will then disappear, but the CEL stays on. Then, while driving, the slip light will sometimes flash quickly (while driving in a straight line on a dry road, so nothing to do with the actual traction), and then turn off again, but the CEL still remains on. The first 2 times it did this before I put the car into storage, the CEL turned itself off after a few hours and would not come back. It was WEEKS if not MONTHS in between instances. I thought nothing of it at the time because everything felt normal, and the light would take care of itself and would not reappear. Now it is only HOURS between the instances, and even though everything still feels normal, now I am officially concerned. The light turned off all on it's own on Thursday, and then came on again not 3 hours later.

The car does NOT go into limp mode; I still have all my power, unlike when the P0018 code was active, and everything sounds and feels normal.

I did not drive my car today out of fear of this new issue, but I wager to bet if I DID drive it, the light would probably turn itself off again eventually, just like it did before, but my concern is that now the intervals between the lights are way way shorter than they were before.

I haven't had a chance to get it scanned while the light was on to try to pull a code, and now there's a bit of snow in the forecast over the next week or so, so I will probably be putting her back in the garage. I don't have a scan cable or an OFT so I'll have to try to see if I know anyone who has one, as I'd really like to try to scan it while the light is still on and try to figure out WTF is going on. Otherwise I won't be able to get it scanned until I start driving it again, as I work at a dealership that has a scanner.

I'm going to reach out to my local Subaru dealer (that performed the P0018 repair for me) on Monday as well to explain the situation and see what their advice is, and I'm not scared of bringing Subaru Canada into the fold again if necessary, because if this new fault is even partially caused by the repair they performed on my vehicle in August for P0018, I feel like I should not have to pay for anything to get this remedied.

Anyone else have anything like this happen after having this repair performed?

Thanks. Happy Easter, everybody!
Old 04-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #3065
W-GT86

Mine seems to be solved!!

So what happened. As I posted, he light only came up occasionaly. Wit a car with only 10k kilometers on it. For me his was an indication it was a faulty part and/ or electrical problem. As the code gives you information it can only be a number of parts which are involved.

P0017 was the code I got, so I could track it to he right bank. First I changed the camshaft position sensor, no change. I cleaned plugs and played around with te cables, no change. I tested the oil regulator of he car, nothing seems out of order.

At last I found a movie clip on youtube from someone talking about defective oil pressure regulators which keeps sticking in a subaru engine giving the same fault code. So I eventually did order a new regulator (65€) and voila problem is solved.

So to anyone with the same code coming on occasionally!! Not permanent. Try changing your oil regulators to another bank and check the code. If it moves along to the other bank, it is sticking!

I guess mine was sticking due to the fact it was/ is not being used to often.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:27 AM   #3066
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-GT86 View Post
I guess mine was sticking due to the fact it was/ is not being used to often.

The OCVs are always in use. Unless by “not used much” you mean you don’t use the actual car much. Everything related to VVT on this car is a ticking time bomb it seems. I feel like there is a new thread or post daily on VVT related CELs. I’ve got 85k on my car and feel like any day I’ll be in the same boat of replacing cam angle sensors, OCVs, gears and ECU. Seems in the end people have to replace the gears and ECU before their problems permanently go away.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote