follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #2997
ysu

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gents, got a tricky question.

I've been out at night for a drive and on a u-turn on a very dark road I've managed to whack the curb with the front left. It looked like there was only grass on the roadside. I have stopped, then stepped on it to turn around like an idiot I am, and I think I have understeered the left front into the hidden curb at a fairly shallow angle with the wheels turned right, but in any case with enough force to bend the lower control arm something nasty. I was almost out of the u-turn, and since I did not expect the curb, I did not brake.

Now the steering is off, car drives like rubbish (small wonder, the tyre is not pointing forward!), and noises coming from the front left of course. Lucky it was very close to home so I have just came home & parked the car now.

Here's what it looks like underneath:
http://imgur.com/5i14IYm

I'm wondering if you guys have an experience with this kind of damage, is it ok to replace the arm & ball joint, and then take it in for an alignment and check-up? Or is it likely that there's more damage and take the car into a service to be sure?

I'm tracking the car, and it's not a daily driver, so I'm interested in opinions if I should just replace the suspension parts with performance ones? (eg I can't notice any bend in the coilovers, but I'm looking to buy some MCA ones anyway...but I'm sure I can find performance arms, too?)

In any case, just looking for opinions, not legally binding advice

Edit: almost forgot; the ABS light came on, too, and stays.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #2998
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Your tie rod maybe looks bent. Could be steering rack damage. Could've bent the sway bar. May have damaged the ABS sensor.

For the last issue you definitely want it looked at by a professional. Otherwise you can start throwing parts at it, but that looks like a hell of a hit...
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-27-2016), ysu (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #2999
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Googled around and didn't find any thing conclusive one way or another:

I am saving up for some RCE T2's plus the camber plates and saw somewhere that it is recommended to buy new endlinks when putting in coilovers. Is this true? Is this something that is purely optional but beneficial? Are the stock endlinks ok with the coils or will they eventually fail from being used with the new coils?

This will be my first time doing any suspension mods myself so I just want to make sure I am fully prepared and don't jack anything up too bad in the process.

TIA!
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #3000
DeaconRoc

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post

I am saving up for some RCE T2's plus the camber plates and saw somewhere that it is recommended to buy new endlinks when putting in coilovers. Is this true? Is this something that is purely optional but beneficial? Are the stock endlinks ok with the coils or will they eventually fail from being used with the new coils?

This will be my first time doing any suspension mods myself so I just want to make sure I am fully prepared and don't jack anything up too bad in the process.

TIA!
It's usually because the stock end links will be a massive pain to remove and don't allow setting the arb preload like an adjustable link will.
DeaconRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeaconRoc For This Useful Post:
Brayden_23 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #3001
cwilson

Drives: 2013 BRZ,08 Chevy Cobalt, 90 BMW M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sagging K.W. coilover springs

I've had a set of K.W. double adjustable coilovers on my 2013 BRZ for about two years now, and until recently not had any problems. My current problem started about 6 mos ago with the front inner fender liners coming detached during auto crosses. At first, I attributed this to just hitting too many cones! However, I noted that the tops of both wheels were rubbing the inside tops of the inner fender liners. I then decided to measure the height of the car compared to where it was when I installed the K.W.'s. The car has the same wheels , tires, tire pressures and has been measured from the same locations. The measurement was from the lower rim of the wheel to the top of the fender wheel well, and it shows over 1/2 inch drop from the original measurements.

I've discussed this with my favorite local shop that did the K.W. install, and they agree the springs have sagged, and that this has caused the inner fender liners to come detached. However, they claim some spring sagging is not uncommon! I've always heard this was a defect, and not all that common. What's the real story here? Is spring sagging really that common? Does this affect the spring rates, and does this sagging mean the springs or the entire coilovers need to be replaced? Thanks in advance.
cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #3002
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:

TIA!
It's optional but beneficial, especially if you want to run some serious camber. What you may run into is that the endlink ends up too close to the inside wall and rubs the hell out of the metal there, or even binds up your steering, if you have too much camber. I have my plates set in the middle of the range and that's about as far as I can push it before running into issues. Your mileage will vary since everyone's geometry is just slightly different.

Aftermarket endlinks are a little thinner on the heads and provide more clearance. For street use, middle of the range is plenty of camber. For autocross/track you will want more than that.

Any talk about upgrading for reliability or strength is pure marketing BS. The stock endlinks can take anything you can dish at them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
Brayden_23 (09-27-2016), Racecomp Engineering (10-03-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #3003
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post
I've had a set of K.W. double adjustable coilovers on my 2013 BRZ for about two years now, and until recently not had any problems. My current problem started about 6 mos ago with the front inner fender liners coming detached during auto crosses. At first, I attributed this to just hitting too many cones! However, I noted that the tops of both wheels were rubbing the inside tops of the inner fender liners. I then decided to measure the height of the car compared to where it was when I installed the K.W.'s. The car has the same wheels , tires, tire pressures and has been measured from the same locations. The measurement was from the lower rim of the wheel to the top of the fender wheel well, and it shows over 1/2 inch drop from the original measurements.

I've discussed this with my favorite local shop that did the K.W. install, and they agree the springs have sagged, and that this has caused the inner fender liners to come detached. However, they claim some spring sagging is not uncommon! I've always heard this was a defect, and not all that common. What's the real story here? Is spring sagging really that common? Does this affect the spring rates, and does this sagging mean the springs or the entire coilovers need to be replaced? Thanks in advance.
1/2 inch sag sounds like a lot. Have you checked if the spring perch is loose? It may have slowly been winding its way lower if it wasn't properly locked into position.
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #3004
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
It's optional but beneficial, especially if you want to run some serious camber. What you may run into is that the endlink ends up too close to the inside wall and rubs the hell out of the metal there, or even binds up your steering, if you have too much camber. I have my plates set in the middle of the range and that's about as far as I can push it before running into issues. Your mileage will vary since everyone's geometry is just slightly different.

Aftermarket endlinks are a little thinner on the heads and provide more clearance. For street use, middle of the range is plenty of camber. For autocross/track you will want more than that.

Any talk about upgrading for reliability or strength is pure marketing BS. The stock endlinks can take anything you can dish at them.
I am only looking to run about 2* of camber in the front at most. Car will be used for the occasional track day but mostly spirited driving so I don't think I need too much camber. Sounds like the stock endlink should be ok? At least until I get the urge to upgrade?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #3005
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconRoc View Post
It's usually because the stock end links will be a massive pain to remove and don't allow setting the arb preload like an adjustable link will.
Is the preload on the stock ARB adjustable? I wasn't looking at upgrading those yet until I know how the car handles with the new suspension first.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #3006
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
I am only looking to run about 2* of camber in the front at most. Car will be used for the occasional track day but mostly spirited driving so I don't think I need too much camber. Sounds like the stock endlink should be ok? At least until I get the urge to upgrade?
Yeah you'll be fine. I haven't gotten an alignment yet but I'm guesstimating high 2.x or 3.0 for front camber right now.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #3007
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Camber isn't as much a problem as lowering is, you should be fine with stock endlinks as long as you're not going as low as possible.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #3008
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Camber isn't as much a problem as lowering is, you should be fine with stock endlinks as long as you're not going as low as possible.
I am anticipating dropping between 1-1.5", dependent on what looks good. Not trying to mess up the geometry too much. I am not a low n slow kind of guy; just someone who enjoys practicality as well as looking good
Old 09-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #3009
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Yeah you'll be fine. I haven't gotten an alignment yet but I'm guesstimating high 2.x or 3.0 for front camber right now.
Perfect. Just want to make sure I budget enough for this upgrade and it's good to know new endlinks aren't a necessity.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #3010
cwilson

Drives: 2013 BRZ,08 Chevy Cobalt, 90 BMW M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, it's in the shop now so I'll check.
cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote