follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #267
newports

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn wish the springs lower it just a little more.

How are teins lowerinf springs?
newports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #268
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
No one finds it odd that TRD sells springs but not struts.? Its always been bad practice to lower on stock struts, just can't bring myself to brake that anthem. And it would really suck to install springs only to have TRD release struts a few months later.

Its also odd that for our cars they are really giving the the sway bars a lot of priority more thanov strut/spring package. Wonder whats on the BRZ tc.?

I distinctly remember Tada saying this car was engineered to sit on springs a little less than an inch lower. We all know the OEM's go with taller springs and softer struts than the car was designed (to keep the wimpy gen public comfy." Maybe he meant the stock struts could handle the drop or even engineered for it?

Just mind blowing that this car in particular doesn't have TRD struts available yet?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
amram (04-04-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #269
nosi9frs

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Looks subtle, less than an inch for sure, which makes sense. They probably wanted it subtle enough that alignment parts for the back are not necessary. From experience lowering an inch (swift springs) brings the rear camber to about -2 degrees, which looks quite sunken in with stock wheels.

Yup, I'm at about -1.5 deg in the rear and the install instructions only tell you to adjust toe and that the change in camber is okay and still in spec
nosi9frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #270
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
No one finds it odd that TRD sells springs but not struts.? Its always been bad practice to lower on stock struts, just can't bring myself to brake that anthem. And it would really suck to install springs only to have TRD release struts a few months later.

Its also odd that for our cars they are really giving the the sway bars a lot of priority more thanov strut/spring package. Wonder whats on the BRZ tc.?

I distinctly remember Tada saying this car was engineered to sit on springs a little less than an inch lower. We all know the OEM's go with taller springs and softer struts than the car was designed (to keep the wimpy gen public comfy." Maybe he meant the stock struts could handle the drop or even engineered for it?

Just mind blowing that this car in particular doesn't have TRD struts available yet?
Has anybody put the stock shocks in a dyno?

If the damping is stiff already, it may support a stiffer spring without modification. You can tell the dampers work well on this car, but I just don't know if there's sufficient damping to control TRD springs without some "tuner bounce."
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #271
KKaWing

Drives: Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Has anybody put the stock shocks in a dyno?

If the damping is stiff already, it may support a stiffer spring without modification. You can tell the dampers work well on this car, but I just don't know if there's sufficient damping to control TRD springs without some "tuner bounce."
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=3
KKaWing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KKaWing For This Useful Post:
Shankenstein (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #272
BRRRZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidda9 View Post
Before:

Attachment 71216

After:

Attachment 71217

Sorry it was bad lighting on the after pic
How long did you have the springs installed for the after pics? Sometimes it takes a while for springs to settle. Any updated pics? thanks
BRRRZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRRRZZZ For This Useful Post:
tinma (03-20-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #273
nosi9frs

Drives: Raven FR-S
FR-S TRD Lowering Springs and Sway Bars releasing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRRRZZZ View Post
How long did you have the springs installed for the after pics? Sometimes it takes a while for springs to settle. Any updated pics? thanks

I uploaded a new after pic to my original post, it's sunny out and you can tell the drop difference much more easily. Also the new pic is with about 100 miles on them and the drop is still under and inch
nosi9frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosi9frs For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (03-23-2014), tinma (03-22-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #274
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

doesnt Japan have TRD struts?
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #275
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, TRD Japan has a couple shock options out.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #276
Createddeleted

Drives: 2014 BRZ - 2004 GLI
To those that have TRD springs or have wanted some. Just got off the phone with a Conicelli Toyota about why there is a stop sale on them. They apparently have some sets in stock but Toyota is not authorizing the sale at the moment as they believe there is something wrong/ defective with the product. This effects TRD part number PTR07-18130.

The parts guy at Conicelli said we should know more in 24hrs as TRD should be getting back to them.
Createddeleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #277
03wrxsubi

Drives: '04 Forester XT '06 Legacy GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Createddeleted View Post
To those that have TRD springs or have wanted some. Just got off the phone with a Conicelli Toyota about why there is a stop sale on them. They apparently have some sets in stock but Toyota is not authorizing the sale at the moment as they believe there is something wrong/ defective with the product. This effects TRD part number PTR07-18130.

The parts guy at Conicelli said we should know more in 24hrs as TRD should be getting back to them.
Hmm this is a little intresting because I have not heard of this(I work at a toyota dealer), I had 5 sets that sold/shipped already and currently placed an order for 5 more.

My warehouse has 5 sets, there are 30 sets in the Ontario warehouse and the Kentucky warehouse has 28. I have not had a problem ordering these springs.
03wrxsubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #278
Createddeleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrxsubi View Post
Hmm this is a little intresting because I have not heard of this(I work at a toyota dealer), I had 5 sets that sold/shipped already and currently placed an order for 5 more.

My warehouse has 5 sets, there are 30 sets in the Ontario warehouse and the Kentucky warehouse has 28. I have not had a problem ordering these springs.
Yeah. There's a dealer here locally that has some in stock and they're for sale. I don't know what the issue could be.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #279
frs10

Drives: tezla
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Createddeleted View Post
Yeah. There's a dealer here locally that has some in stock and they're for sale. I don't know what the issue could be.
wow this is an interesting turn of events...
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #280
Createddeleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
wow this is an interesting turn of events...
Update:

After a 17 minute phone conversation with Toyota / Scion about part number PTR07-18130 these are the highlights:

- PTR07-18130 has been removed from the TRD website (as of this morning before my phone call)
- Toyota refuses to comment on why there is a stop sale on these parts even though they have pieces in inventory.
- Toyota refuses to say wether the spring set is safe or not. "If there was an issue with the part Toyota would notify the owners."
- When asked again, are these parts safe to drive on or should the owners stop driving their vehicles? Toyota could not answer yes, they avoided the question.

However on the flip side, my local dealer has 4 in stock and has not been informed of any stop sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to Createddeleted For This Useful Post:
amram (04-04-2014)