follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
ok. you guys are talking about sticking into 1st without a rev match.
1st gear should only be used to get the car moving. Once you're rolling, 2nd gear should be adequate. This goes for all cars, not just the FR-S.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vividracing For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (11-07-2012), FR-SBPK93 (05-16-2014), lordtakuban (06-12-2012), NeedsmoreCowbell (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Matt Andrews

Drives: race cars
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i guess we are arguing a minor point here if 1st gear is really short on the FR-S, but I don't feel like you guys are speaking from the perspective on an engineer. There are several cars I have driven that with a final drive change, have had very use-able 1st gears on track. And on tight turns, you blip the throttle, put it in first, and drive off the corner. If there is a technical reason not to do that with this transmission, I'd believe it. but I haven't heard one yet. What I've heard is "its really short - you can use 2nd gear"

Not trying to argue for arguing sake. Just looking for an engineering reason for your position.

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/FECompetition
Matt Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Andrews For This Useful Post:
Brzce (11-06-2012), MF_DEUCE (07-14-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Don't, Do not, shift into first before the vehicle is completely stopped.

I hope this car doesnt start coming off as a shit bucket because of mistreatment, whether unknowingly or not.
This is only good advise for the street.

Shifting into first for Auto cross or racing is common.

If your car can't handle it, the tranny needs to be fixed
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
i guess we are arguing a minor point here if 1st gear is really short on the FR-S, but I don't feel like you guys are speaking from the perspective on an engineer. There are several cars I have driven that with a final drive change, have had very use-able 1st gears on track. And on tight turns, you blip the throttle, put it in first, and drive off the corner. If there is a technical reason not to do that with this transmission, I'd believe it. but I haven't heard one yet. What I've heard is "its really short - you can use 2nd gear"

Not trying to argue for arguing sake. Just looking for an engineering reason for your position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post
This is only good advise for the street.

Shifting into first for Auto cross or racing is common.

If your car can't handle it, the tranny needs to be fixed
I think that there are two different schools of thought here--DDing vs. Autocross/racing. For DDing, no, I wouldn't downshift into first unless at a complete stop. For racing, however, I can see how that might be necessary, as has been said, with a quick throttle blip.

In short: DD, no. Racing, maybe.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand why you guys think it is OK to be unable to shift into 1st from 2nd. cars I had always let me shift into 1st while it is still moving, I just don't let the clutch out like it is a downshift because it is jarring, but the point is.. When you drive a low power engine like AE86 you do not lug around 1500 RPM in 2nd gear, you just bog the engine down big time.
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I've only done it when slow rolling before a stoplight. But I will admit on a tight road course or auto cross in the future I probably would have shifted into first with a heel / toe throttle blip. (i think - I honestly haven't paid too much attention to 1st gear gearing) What is special about this transmission that prevents you from doing this?
Nothing - I do it all the time with no issues. You just need to rev match properly.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCoupe View Post
I don't understand why you guys think it is OK to be unable to shift into 1st from 2nd. cars I had always let me shift into 1st while it is still moving, I just don't let the clutch out like it is a downshift because it is jarring, but the point is.. When you drive a low power engine like AE86 you do not lug around 1500 RPM in 2nd gear, you just bog the engine down big time.
I have no issues downshifting from 2-1 at appropriate speeds and revs.

I'm not a pro race driver by any means, but I do have about 22 years driving manuals.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When I was driving in a bit of traffic a couple days ago my tranny was making a clunking noise into first and a "crunchy" sound in 2nd and 3rd. I was trying to be as smooth as possible for my passenger while keeping below 3000 rpm.

Today I didnt feel or hear anything as I reved a little higher. I did some heal-toeing a few times to over 5000rpm and it felt great... A little better feel than my previous RSX and much better than my E30 M3. One of the main reasons I bought this car was because of the advertised triplecone syncros in the tranny.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #23
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
mine has only about 60 miles on it. I have noticed that 1st gear has some resistance when down shifting before completely stopped, but I wouldn't consider it a crunch at all.

Are your issues on upshifts or downshifts?
If you have resistance shifting to 1st before completely stopped that's normal with any car .
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I've only done it when slow rolling before a stoplight. But I will admit on a tight road course or auto cross in the future I probably would have shifted into first with a heel / toe throttle blip. (i think - I honestly haven't paid too much attention to 1st gear gearing) What is special about this transmission that prevents you from doing this?
The gearing! Other transmissions does the same
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
1-2-3 should feel a bit 'rough/crunchy' due to those wonderful triple-cone gear synchros. These were chosen to maximize durability on a high-revving, beginners RWD car. You can mercilessly beat the piss out of the first 3 gear changes, and the transmission probably wont mind a bit.

I believe the RX-8 transmission also employs the use of triple-cone synchros for durability, and that transmission feels very similar to ours (thats because it is).

Unfortunately yes, this has the very minute drawback of making the car a bit louder and rougher. Its an inexpensive sports car, guys - compromises were made in certain areas.
Dang Lad (06-23-2012), flippy (12-06-2012), HunterGreene (06-13-2012), JamesBond000 (08-31-2014), Lonewolf (06-13-2012), no1r (12-20-2013), StOpNG0x (12-06-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
I've found second gear to go really, really low which I like because I'm used to that on the Si.
I find accelerating from 2nd while rolling(walking speed) to not be a good thing. Engine makes a funny sound compared to other cars Ive owned. I refuse to ride the clutch rolling in second so Im gonna have to be doing a lot of rev-matching into 1st!
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #27
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattles View Post
1-2-3 should feel a bit 'rough/crunchy' due to those wonderful triple-cone gear synchros. These were chosen to maximize durability on a high-revving, beginners RWD car. You can mercilessly beat the piss out of the first 3 gear changes, and the transmission probably wont mind a bit.

I believe the RX-8 transmission also employs the use of triple-cone synchros for durability, and that transmission feels very similar to ours (thats because it is).

Unfortunately yes, this has the very minute drawback of making the car a bit louder and rougher. Its an inexpensive sports car, guys - compromises were made in certain areas.
This makes complete sense. Crunchy = bad in my previous cars, so I was going from previous experience.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The only way to smoothly get into 1st from 2nd is to rev match into 1st. That's what I find. Either throttle blip or double clutch.

Try out Amsoil Synchromesh. I know some S2k guys use it in their transmissions to fix synchro problems.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote