follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Porschephile

Drives: 2006 gti apr stage 2+, scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opps, in addition I want to lease and recycle every three years or so
Porschephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #16
Porschephile

Also I worked in audis and I hate them with the exception of a b8 rs4 but even then too nose heavy
The Following User Says Thank You to Porschephile For This Useful Post:
Rampage (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
RS
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
As someone who drove an S3 (and owns an RS7), it's the least nose heavy Audi I've driven so far. You would think the reviews were joking when it says it has grips for days, but i can't even get the damn thing to lose traction unless i use the wrong steering input, in that case it will push just like the STI would or any AWD car. The only thing that bothers me with the S3 is that it still feels like a Golf R with four doors. It feels very much like a VW.

I'd stick with the RS if you want a great (hopefully) car out of the box. If you want to modify the car, then go with an STI.

Edit: Can you even lease an RS? They released that info? I'd think this be a special edition car that they'd sell for a year and dump the next?

It's still hard to say. It's like asking if you should buy a Cayman GT4 or a V6 F-type with a manual. No one knows how they drive!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
Porschephile

I agree the a3/gti platform is the least nose heavy of the bunch but my gti days are over, the golf r's bang for buck ratio is off and not "raw" enough, although I haven't driven the newest generation
Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #20
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephile View Post
I agree the a3/gti platform is the least nose heavy of the bunch but my gti days are over, the golf r's bang for buck ratio is off and not "raw" enough, although I haven't driven the newest generation
New gen GTI make 380 torque with just a stage 1 tune...just saying
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
Porschephile

The tempting but fwd
Old 03-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #22
vobla6.0
Resident Douchebag

Drives: balla'
Quote:
So I have a new job making a lot more$ I,love mr frs but had it for a while now and getting tired of it a bit, I considered going Fi but reliability is too much of a question so I figured I'd look at a new car. Stopped buy the local subie dealer and before I knew it I was in the finance office looking at a brand new sti. Only reason I didn't pull the trigger is I am really interested in the new rs, so should I go sti or rs? Opinions ?? Thoughts ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Just wait until the community knows more
^
This.
Subaru's reliability goes down the drain when you start driving hard or modifying or both.
Focus's reliability, aftermarket potential, etc is yet to be known. Although I have my hopes high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATED1 View Post
I like the STI, more aftermarket support in case you get bored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
If you want to modify the car, then go with an STI.

This is exactly why I wouldnt go Subaru. With Subaru still using the EJ25X with its ringland and oil starvation problems I would not be inclined to purchase the Subaru. Because I want a car that I can confidently drive hard and learn how to modify whilst being somewhat confident that I wont need a new engine in the near future.
Bottom line: The STI is a very charismatic car, but easy to modify correctly it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I'd take a Golf R or GTI over an STI. I'd take a Fiesta ST over a Focus ST. Focus RS? A Fiesta ST will likely be more fun. Now an Audi TT RS would be seriously fast.
The Vag cars with the EA888 also have some serious problems (timing chain tensioner failure/turbo failure/wastegate failure). I would not be inclined to purchase a Vag product even though the tunes (eg APR) sound tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Audi S3.
All the problems of the golf r + lack of proper gearbox. Actually you cant even buy the golf r with a proper gearbox anymore.

If you are a Porschephile, and are planning to get an FI car in the mid-30K price range, get a 996TT. It is turbo, AWD, and stick. It is also quicker, better equipped and more reliable than any of the cars discussed above (potentially bar the RS). It also drops panties and is left alone by the F&F crowd, who thing you're just another rich douche. Those cars are known to go beyond 300K miles w/o serious problems. Modification will be more expensive than the STI or the Vags, but you wont be shitting ringlands and turbos.

If you are scared of owning a 996TT, wait for owners' experience with the RS. If its good go for it. If it sucks, get an Evo 9. I miss the 4g63 so much.
vobla6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #23
Porschephile

Good info. I have liked what I read about the evos but they seem to be hard to find, even harder then a last gen sti hatch, at least in my area, I have had a lot of fun with 996tt but not so keen on the interior although I could get over that for the right price
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #24
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I love the name "vag". "I got me a vag."
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good info. I have liked what I read about the evos but they seem to be hard to find, even harder then a last gen sti hatch, at least in my area, I have had a lot of fun with 996tt but not so keen on the interior although I could get over that for the right price
Ya, with them being discontinued many people that have one are not parting with them any time soon!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #26
Porschephile

So in conclusion I think I'm going to wait and see what the rs is going to be like, for one thing I think it's better looking, not the biggest fan of the new subie body styles. Then again they have never made great look to begin with. Also I have a small confession, I just re injured my knee and was actually under the influence of pain meds when I was at the subie dealer sooo... Not in the best state of mind. I did love the way the subie drove though, the classic is a nice improvement over the last gen. The ford looks promising and if it drives as well as the subie I think I'll go for it but I will miss my frs. Apologizes for grammatical errors, pain meds again.