follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
dradernh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Location: So. OH
Posts: 561
Thanks: 77
Thanked 237 Times in 163 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
I usually catch up to and nip at the heels of the supercars between 3 and 4.
It is worth noting that the reason the really cool iron gets caught by twins, Miatas, etc. is that their drivers' abilities and aggressiveness is frequently inversely proportional to the cost and/or performance envelope of their cars. Typically, anyway.

The exceptions can be incredibly impressive. A few years ago, I very briefly traveled the fastest section of Monticello Motor Club's track with a Ferrari F430 Challenge car. The owner had experienced top-level coaching and had the ability to get the most out of that as well as a good deal of what that car had to offer. He started out as a dot in my mirror on the long 3/4-mile straight, rocketed by me before the kink, and was gone before I reached the end of the straight. He was doing 167 into the braking zone before turn-in. Very cool!

On another occasion I was at Mosport with 6th Gear out of Toronto. There were only 12 cars there that day, and three of them were supercars with drivers who could drive. It was my first time at the track, I had some coaching that day and was getting around pretty well, but due to the closing speeds of the hotshots on the WOT sections it was necessary to check my mirrors at every opportunity. That's the only time that's happened.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
RFB
Senior Member
 
RFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Canada
Posts: 937
Thanks: 145
Thanked 422 Times in 289 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
It is worth noting that the reason the really cool iron gets caught by twins, Miatas, etc. is that their drivers' abilities and aggressiveness is frequently inversely proportional to the cost and/or performance envelope of their cars. Typically, anyway.

The exceptions can be incredibly impressive. A few years ago, I very briefly traveled the fastest section of Monticello Motor Club's track with a Ferrari F430 Challenge car. The owner had experienced top-level coaching and had the ability to get the most out of that as well as a good deal of what that car had to offer. He started out as a dot in my mirror on the long 3/4-mile straight, rocketed by me before the kink, and was gone before I reached the end of the straight. He was doing 167 into the braking zone before turn-in. Very cool!

On another occasion I was at Mosport with 6th Gear out of Toronto. There were only 12 cars there that day, and three of them were supercars with drivers who could drive. It was my first time at the track, I had some coaching that day and was getting around pretty well, but due to the closing speeds of the hotshots on the WOT sections it was necessary to check my mirrors at every opportunity. That's the only time that's happened.
Investment syndrome often prevents the risk of pushing a supercar, especially on corners.
With the twins, they don't make enough horsepower to hurt themselves, and 3 or 4 hundred angry horses unleashed by a small driving error don't suddenly put the car in the wall before you have time to save it.

Winter sadness around the corner up here - looks like a few months of reliving past races, boo hoo .




CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
CSG David
 
CSG David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: California
Posts: 2,109
Thanks: 537
Thanked 1,723 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
The WRX on the other hand gets really good gas mileage. LOL
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
dradernh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Location: So. OH
Posts: 561
Thanks: 77
Thanked 237 Times in 163 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Winter sadness around the corner up here - looks like a few months of reliving past races, boo hoo .
No, no, no - no worries: http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/

It's open all winter, inexpensive, and a great place to practice car control at low to moderate speeds. I've been there in the summer, and in the winter when it was a combination of dry, wet, snow, and ice - definitely the best combination of winter conditions unless you want pure winter driving conditions. In that case, just wait.

If you go off, in all but one place you just slide around a bit, come to a halt, and then drive back onto the course. The track is flat as a board, and the only wall is at pit-out.

There's also a skid pad off in a corner of the facility - kind of rough pavement, IIRC, but again, another place to practice slow-speed car control and just plain have fun. You can do the same out in the main parking lot, although the last time I was there in the winter a chain link fence jumped out and slapped the front of my car, requiring a new bumper cover. I think I was going 5 MPH.

During a summer visit, I used the short route between the track and the skid pad area as a place to figure out how to stop my car in the shortest distance possible. I got some cones from the track manager, established a spot to begin braking, and ran a series of 70-0 MPH tests. In my race car, I got the following results:

3/4 ABS = shortest,

Full-on ABS = 6' longer than 3/4 ABS, and

Threshold-of-ABS braking (the technique most frequently taught in DE classrooms) = 15' feet longer than 3/4 ABS.

I'd be interested to know what results the twins would produce in a similar non-winter dry conditions test with whatever track tires and braking components the owner runs.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #19
Campo
Senior Member
 
Campo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives:
Posts: 209
Thanks: 173
Thanked 119 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've typically been getting about 7 mpg at the track. this weekend will be our first event on E85, so I'm anxious to see how that goes. I'm expecting about 4-5 mpg.
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #20
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 6,562
Thanks: 493
Thanked 6,099 Times in 3,030 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Typical weekend:

Leave LA
Arrive at Buttonwillow (with about 1/3 tank used)
Empty entire tank (down to fuel light) before 4th session of day (around 60-80 miles on the track if I'm lucky)
Leave track, fill up, go home

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
phastafrican
Senior Member
 
phastafrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 437
Thanks: 118
Thanked 171 Times in 112 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
7.1 mpg at Daytona on pump 93 and stock tune. 13 lap race, 3.56m, wide open for >80% of each lap.
__________________
Emmanuel Baako: NASA-Southeast Race Control & NASA Florida Race Director
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #22
midcoma
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Conover, NC
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NCCAR track
No engine mods, 235/40R17 Direzza ZII

Tank 1
172.7 miles on tank, at least 165 on the track - 10.7mpg

Tank 2
109.6 miles on tank, at least 103 on the track - 10.1mpg

I got 37.2mpg on the way home though.
midcoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut
 
BRZZZZZZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,557
Thanks: 368
Thanked 603 Times in 346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
19-19.5L/100KM stock everything powertrain wise at Castrol in Edmonton Alberta.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #24
Sleepless
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2016 FR-S
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 640
Thanks: 299
Thanked 392 Times in 229 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Stock power... 10ish MPG
__________________
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #25
Campo
Senior Member
 
Campo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives:
Posts: 209
Thanks: 173
Thanked 119 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post
I've typically been getting about 7 mpg at the track. this weekend will be our first event on E85, so I'm anxious to see how that goes. I'm expecting about 4-5 mpg.

Well I was way off. 7.8 mpg on E85 last weekend. I was in a pretty slow group with lots of traffic though.


Sent from Tapatalk
__________________
"Fuck, you've gone completely sideways, man."
~Raoul Duke
Gas is pretty cheap considering you're buying liquid explosive dinosaurs.
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 AM   #26
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®
 
Captain Snooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 7,830
Thanks: 4,058
Thanked 9,576 Times in 4,205 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Wouldn't want to have fuel starvation, especially with how sensitive our cars are to detonation.
*Raises hand*
Ummm... I don't know what I'm talking about here but I would have thought that given the amount of software engineering that goes into a modern car that this wouldn't be an issue. I mean it's not like a carbuerettor running low on fuel. I would have thought it would have been a case of running properly or not running at all due to lack of fuel.
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #27
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,564
Thanks: 8,942
Thanked 14,214 Times in 6,856 Posts
Mentioned: 970 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
*Raises hand*
Ummm... I don't know what I'm talking about here but I would have thought that given the amount of software engineering that goes into a modern car that this wouldn't be an issue. I mean it's not like a carbuerettor running low on fuel. I would have thought it would have been a case of running properly or not running at all due to lack of fuel.
If you starve, you run lean...

The ECU is not that quick.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed opinions: Does debadging "Subaru" and "BRZ" cheapen the car? davidchoi Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 49 11-22-2014 10:17 PM
"Fuel" the Need, the Need for Speed with FR Sport's Fuel Delivery Special! FRSport.com Announcements, Contests, Giveaways 0 01-17-2014 12:11 PM
"Clicking" or "knocking" caused by rear seat pull down lever. husker741 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 6 11-27-2013 02:30 PM
"My Dealer told me {insert dumb idea}" (was "Toyota/Subary Partnership Cancelled?") levifig BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 48 08-09-2013 06:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.