follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > Members Classifieds > Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
you must have included my quote and labeled all as 'wrong' by mistake? if not, then sorry mate, you're wrong - I have called Delicious Tuning and asked them if they could provide the dongle if I buy license from them. They said they have some spare ones so they could provide the dongle.

Also, dongle is NOT "the license for the software you use on the computer" but just a license storage device. You can have many licenses stored on your dongle. Eg I have 2 licenses, one from previous owner and one that I bought. My license was added after I downloaded and updated software from EcuTek.
Thats not entirely correct either...

License is your car to be able to use Ecutek.

Dongle lets your computer manipulate the parameters and perform flashes.
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
my car is not a license. from my experience if i had to guess - license is piece of code which is either in 'unused' or 'used' state and stored on the dongle. it is applied to the car (as whole or partial as part of rom) when you flash the ecu with ecutek rom which makes that license 'used'. however if you have an explanation from ecutek then I'll be glad to hear it.
No not from ecutek. Just so e users and a tuner.

I personally dont care.

What I know is you need a license, a cable, and a dongle to b able to tune.

Dongle is not available without the cable
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
nelsmar

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
you must have included my quote and labeled all as 'wrong' by mistake? if not, then sorry mate, you're wrong - I have called Delicious Tuning and asked them if they could provide the dongle if I buy license from them. They said they have some spare ones so they could provide the dongle.

Also, dongle is NOT "the license for the software you use on the computer" but just a license storage device. You can have many licenses stored on your dongle. Eg I have 2 licenses, one from previous owner and one that I bought. My license was added after I downloaded and updated software from EcuTek.
This is realllyyyy rare, most of the ecutek vendors charge around 150 for a new deskey. Thats pretty awesome that he gave you a free one. I was trying to get a spare and spoke to ecutek directly on this and was explained the process of getting a new one and was told to purchase from an authorized distributor (also known as a master tuner).

The dongle still has no association to your vehicle other than the fact that the vehicle license is assigned to a dongle and once it is installed into an ecu it is no longer required for a user. If you are a registered ecutek tuner you receive 1 dongle, 1 cable, and you get 5 licenses assigned to your key. You install these to the ecu and you do not give the end user a dongle, they receive nothing.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
nelsmar

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
well, it was if you buy a new license type of deal

are you sure this is correct? if so then it would mean that they guy who only bought just a license and tune (as you wrote - "you install these to the ecu and you do not give the end user a dongle, they receive nothing.") can buy a used dongle and cable, download the software, and flash the car right away? But wouldn't he need to call his tuner and ask him to register the used dongle with EcuTek and his license?
If he needs a new license he can call his tuner and convert the dongle to that tuners account, and then they can transfer a new license to you. I have bought many used cables, and transferred them many times. If you buy a dongle and cable you cannot flash until a license has been purchased.

When you purchase a fresh kit they are blanks and the vendor has to activate a license and tie it to that dongle ID. This is really no different than buying a used one...
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote