follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ask myself this everyday, and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. But perhaps I need a little self control since I just paid off my student loans, no need to jump right into car payments as soon as I get into a clean slate....yeah well see how long that last @Beyer Subaru I might come see you soon XD

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There will always be teething issues on a new model of a new car. Some worse than others. All in all the issues on the twins don't seem to be too bad (I've had zero problems myself). My '90 Miata was a 1st year model and it is still running great 24 years later. I'd say get it now, the warranty will take care of any new model issues, and you get to enjoy driving a great car instead of playing the waiting game.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
KSC

Drives: Ion Redline
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Unless something new is guaranteed right around the corner (like buying a iPhone in September when I know the new one will be anounced a month later) I wouldn't hesitate to buy something ASAP. You'll never be future proofed forever, so just forget about it and enjoy yourself now.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KSC For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
That may make sense in theory, but why wait for the 14MY, get the 15MY, better yet get the 16MY, even better yet...you get my point.

Also the earlier you get the car, the more time you have to enjoy it as a "new" car.
This is my point as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
No, thats not always true.
Ummm, yeah it's pretty much always true nowadays. If I'd waited for the 2005 STi, I would have gotten 5x114, 17x8" BBS, a stereo, floor mats, etc.

If I'd waited for the 2007 STi, I woulda gotten it less high-wing and all of the goodies in the Limited Edition.

If I'd waited for the 2008 STi, I woulda gotten a hatch. Where my heart really was all along.

But I got the '04 and enjoyed everyday that I had it for over 7 years.

The only time this doesn't make sense is if a vehicle dies. A la Saabaru. If I'd wanted a "new" 06 I woulda been SOL as it only ran for 04-05MY's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Or stick with it and trade it in on the new supra! Thats what im debating on lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
I've been waiting on the new Supra since '99. I've had 6 cars since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
The 2014's will not be out until at least mid-summer...so that's still 4.5-5 months away.
The 14's should be here (US) in the May-June timeframe. That's only 2-3 months away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
I ask myself this everyday, and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. But perhaps I need a little self control since I just paid off my student loans, no need to jump right into car payments as soon as I get into a clean slate....yeah well see how long that last @Beyer Subaru I might come see you soon XD
When ever you're ready, gimme a holler!
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
This is my point as well.

Ummm, yeah it's pretty much always true nowadays. If I'd waited for the 2005 STi, I would have gotten 5x114, 17x8" BBS, a stereo, floor mats, etc.

If I'd waited for the 2007 STi, I woulda gotten it less high-wing and all of the goodies in the Limited Edition.

If I'd waited for the 2008 STi, I woulda gotten a hatch. Where my heart really was all along.

But I got the '04 and enjoyed everyday that I had it for over 7 years.

The only time this doesn't make sense is if a vehicle dies. A la Saabaru. If I'd wanted a "new" 06 I woulda been SOL as it only ran for 04-05MY's.

I've been waiting on the new Supra since '99. I've had 6 cars since then.

The 14's should be here (US) in the May-June timeframe. That's only 2-3 months away.

When ever you're ready, gimme a holler!
Tons of cars that got worse through age.

Mitsubishi Eclipse

BMW 3 Series

Mustang (2nd gen anyone)

Majority of muscle cars that came out after 73.

Mazda MX-5/Miata!

The list goes on.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dem00n For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (03-03-2013), tripjammer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
go for it zaku! go for it! you are only passing this way once!
go for it zaku!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Quote:

Mitsubishi Eclipse

BMW 3 Series

Mustang (2nd gen anyone)

Mazda MX-5/Miata!

The list goes on.
all these cars "suffered" tremendously because the car companies "f**ked with them,and screwed them up!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
all these cars "suffered" tremendously because the car companies "f**ked with them,and screwed them up!
And who says the same won't happen with this car...?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
dmudry

Drives: WRB BRZ Spt Tch
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i got mine yesterday and the only issue i have is i dont want to stop driving....
dmudry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmudry For This Useful Post:
husker741 (03-03-2013), Turbowned (03-03-2013), Zaku (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
spgrizz22

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperian View Post
I've been looking for a while and I think I've settled on getting the BRZ version. I've read the forum and it seems like there are a lot of issues with the car since it is a new model. Does the 2013 version have less issue than the 2012? Also, I really like the STI/TRD edition that comes out in 2014, should I actually wait for that?
I think you should wait for the new BRZ or FR-S. I would hate to get something I really want to later realize that I could of have gotten a new edition one if I have had waited. You should wait. Because its going to suck later on.
spgrizz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Mitsubishi Eclipse

BMW 3 Series

Mustang (2nd gen anyone)

Mazda MX-5/Miata!

The list goes on.
Ummm, ok. So lets go through your list of really old and outdated cars.

Eclipse - The 4G63 was the only reason to own one of the triplets (Laser,Talon). DSM got lucky with this one. Mitsu is an all around failing Mfr that will never amount to much. The Eclipse sucked then and it still sucks.

3 Series - E30 to E36. Sure. From an all out Auto-X or Track standpoint. I don't know if you've noticed or not but BMW is a luxury brand with performance injected into their models. Have you seen the interiors of new BMW's? Or tech specs? These cars have definitely gotten better with age from a luxury standpoint.

Mustang - It has been around since 64-1/2. It is one of Ford's oldest nameplates that is still on the road. It gets better every year. I would put a new GT500/KR/SS,etc against any old model any day of the week.

Muscle Cars - Really? We're goin there? Ok. Here's one for you - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAx2jtr3K8"]Autocross: Honda Odyssey Vs Dodge Charger Daytona - YouTube[/ame]
There is no way that you could beat the all metal styling of an old muscle car. But any new version SRT, SS, Cobra, etc would beat the piss out of your old muscle cars with looks, performance, convenience, comfort, safety, etc..

Mazda MX-5 - This is the best selling sports car in history as stated by Guiness. So I don't really know where your going here? Is it larger, safer, more comfortable, more efficient, etc.? Yes. That's the point of evolution with autos.

Your opinion - Cars get worse, they should stay the same or we should be able to buy a brand new 50 year old car. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My opinion - Cars will only ever get better with time. Examples include the following:
Aesthetics
Comfort
Convenience
NVH
Standard Equipment
Optional Equipment
Safety
Mileage
Reliability
Maintenance
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
Brendan (03-03-2013), M-17 (03-15-2013), Rayme (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
GuerillaZhou

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Subaru already corrected the earlier problems (ie. GPS, condensation, chirping) in the current BRZ.

Here is the list of the TSB at the time I went to pick up my car. My BRZ had serial 42xx, so in theory these problems should not occur in the later 2013 models.

Revised GPS Antenna / Mounting Bracket Assembly (D*603651)
Software (D*603932)
High Pressure Fuel Pump (D*603383) Engine #(84658) 7/27/2012
Taillight condensation (D*601678) 5/9/2012
Popping sound (D*602788) July 1, 2012
GuerillaZhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Ummm, ok. So lets go through your list of really old and outdated cars.

Eclipse - The 4G63 was the only reason to own one of the triplets (Laser,Talon). DSM got lucky with this one. Mitsu is an all around failing Mfr that will never amount to much. The Eclipse sucked then and it still sucks.

3 Series - E30 to E36. Sure. From an all out Auto-X or Track standpoint. I don't know if you've noticed or not but BMW is a luxury brand with performance injected into their models. Have you seen the interiors of new BMW's? Or tech specs? These cars have definitely gotten better with age from a luxury standpoint.

Mustang - It has been around since 64-1/2. It is one of Ford's oldest nameplates that is still on the road. It gets better every year. I would put a new GT500/KR/SS,etc against any old model any day of the week.

Muscle Cars - Really? We're goin there? Ok. Here's one for you -

There is no way that you could beat the all metal styling of an old muscle car. But any new version SRT, SS, Cobra, etc would beat the piss out of your old muscle cars with looks, performance, convenience, comfort, safety, etc..

Mazda MX-5 - This is the best selling sports car in history as stated by Guiness. So I don't really know where your going here? Is it larger, safer, more comfortable, more efficient, etc.? Yes. That's the point of evolution with autos.

Your opinion - Cars get worse, they should stay the same or we should be able to buy a brand new 50 year old car. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My opinion - Cars will only ever get better with time. Examples include the following:
Aesthetics
Comfort
Convenience
NVH
Standard Equipment
Optional Equipment
Safety
Mileage
Reliability
Maintenance
So what?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Get it now while it's still winter. When the weather gets warmer in the rest of the country, these cars will be near-impossible to find.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote