follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
ft86Fan
Senior Member
 
ft86Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Location: Basking Ridge NJ
Posts: 798
Thanks: 327
Thanked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I've been looking or 17x8.5s for 235/40/17s. Only food a few there plenty of 17x8 though.
I just bought a set of Kosei K4R 17x8.5 for my Bimmer and they are extremely light (15.4 lbs) for $199 but its for 5X120. Not sure if they make it in 5X100. I only found 17X7 in 5X100 and its only 14 lbs.
Kosei K4R
__________________
'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
I just bought a set of Kosei K4R 17x8.5 for my Bimmer and they are extremely light (15.4 lbs) for $199 but its for 5X120. Not sure if they make it in 5X100. I only found 17X7 in 5X100 and its only 14 lbs.
Kosei K4R
17x7 only, already checked

PLENTY of 17x8.5 options in 5x114.3 though
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback
DD: 2005 Acura TSX
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
ft86Fan
Senior Member
 
ft86Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Location: Basking Ridge NJ
Posts: 798
Thanks: 327
Thanked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
17x7 only, already checked

PLENTY of 17x8.5 options in 5x114.3 though
Wow, you guys are good :-)

I bought the 17X8 and 17X8.5 Kosei K4R. Both of them has 5X114.3 stamped on them even though its 5X120. I asked TireRack about it and was told that most likely the mold for the blanks was for 5X114.3 but then they drill the holes for whatever bolt pattern they want. I'm sure they can do the same for 5X100. I guess they are not doing it now because its not popular but wait until our cars come out :-)
__________________
'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
SUB-FT86
86 Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 3,129
Thanks: 126
Thanked 527 Times in 296 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
17x7 only, already checked

PLENTY of 17x8.5 options in 5x114.3 though


I was just looking up rims with the 5x100 and they all suck ass to me.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Kostamojen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,071
Thanks: 217
Thanked 952 Times in 500 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Do the math. It'll increase diameter unfavorably enough. If you want street tires 235/40/17s will lower the diameter and therefore shorten the gearing. Since the op is talking track use I made the assumption that he cared more about performance impacts over street tire availability. There's a chart in the tire width thread showing these sizes (with diameter changes) and prices of good tires that I threw together last week.

Combine the worse gearing with the additional sidewall flex and the only slight bump in width.. I see it as pointless. Unless you are trying to save money, tires will be about ~30 (or 50 for re11s) cheaper per tire for the good street tires versas 235/40/17s. Sadly RS-3s are not sold in 235/40/17 but I plan on contacting them to see if they'd consider the size. Compared to stock tire pricing is 1-23 bucks per tire cheaper.
A) Shortening the diameter for tighter gearing isn't what I'd want. That means you have to shift out of second gear sooner, and that can be an issue for auto-x.

B) Sidewall flex is not an issue. And actually, the tread pattern is better with the 225/50/16's versus a narrower 16, where the tire doesn't have a rough edge to the tread so it rolls over better under hard cornering.

I ran 205/55/16's, 215/45/17's, 225/40/17's, and 225/50/16's on my Impreza (which only has ~170hp mind you, and weighs 2600lbs, very simular to the BRZ/FRS and with the Macpherson front suspension setup too) and the 225/50/16's were BY FAR the best for every scenario (track, auto-x, mountain roads, and daily driving).

Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
quik1987
Senior Member
 
quik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 141
Thanked 569 Times in 256 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Hey sorry, I'm not familiar with racing and wheel size.

I understand the weight saving benefits of a smaller tire, unsprung weight, and better cornering,

but why do sports cars such as the Cayman R or Ferrari California come with large tires if smaller tires are better for racing?
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
DuMa
Senior Member
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Location: PNW
Posts: 904
Thanks: 199
Thanked 648 Times in 276 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
porsche and ferraris run larger wheels and tires because they need to clear their massive brakes which are often 15"+ with supersized calipers
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post


I was just looking up rims with the 5x100 and they all suck ass to me.
There are plenty of good wheels in 17x8 though..

Volk, etc make wheels that will work too even at 17x8.5, but I have no intention of buying wheels like that unless they are used (I buy wheels for function and the functional difference is just not worth the price to me).
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback
DD: 2005 Acura TSX
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
A) Shortening the diameter for tighter gearing isn't what I'd want. That means you have to shift out of second gear sooner, and that can be an issue for auto-x.

B) Sidewall flex is not an issue. And actually, the tread pattern is better with the 225/50/16's versus a narrower 16, where the tire doesn't have a rough edge to the tread so it rolls over better under hard cornering.

I ran 205/55/16's, 215/45/17's, 225/40/17's, and 225/50/16's on my Impreza (which only has ~170hp mind you, and weighs 2600lbs, very simular to the BRZ/FRS and with the Macpherson front suspension setup too) and the 225/50/16's were BY FAR the best for every scenario (track, auto-x, mountain roads, and daily driving).
As proven by GRM and others, the gearing will make up that once or maybe twice per run shift. I don't hit 60mph in second and I rarely ever have an autocross that requires me to shift into third.

Sidewall flex can definately be an issue.

Laptimes?

I like the Rotas though
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback
DD: 2005 Acura TSX
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
quik1987
Senior Member
 
quik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 141
Thanked 569 Times in 256 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
porsche and ferraris run larger wheels and tires because they need to clear their massive brakes which are often 15"+ with supersized calipers
This car has a big brake option 6/4 pot brembos though, requiring 18 inch wheels.

We know 18s and 19s fit

So what set up is better?

Big Brake Kit with ULTRALIGHTWEIGHT 18/19

or 16s with 2/1 pot brakes?
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Test it and find out. I'll be running 235/40/17s myself. I'll take the extra width and slightly shorter gearing myself. I have no intention of ever putting 18" or larger wheels on this car and would only consider 16s if I were running R comps in 245/45/16.

Others opinions and experience will vary so you probably just need to find which you like the most.
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback
DD: 2005 Acura TSX
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
Kostamojen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,071
Thanks: 217
Thanked 952 Times in 500 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
As proven by GRM and others, the gearing will make up that once or maybe twice per run shift. I don't hit 60mph in second and I rarely ever have an autocross that requires me to shift into third.
Really? I've had a few that require 3rd or I bounce off the rev limiter... But I have a 6200rpm redline too.
Quote:
Sidewall flex can definately be an issue.
I worry more about tires that DON'T have sidewall flex. Although that might be better for drifting.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #27
fatoni
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Location: socal
Posts: 4,416
Thanks: 599
Thanked 1,443 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik1987 View Post
This car has a big brake option 6/4 pot brembos though, requiring 18 inch wheels.

We know 18s and 19s fit

So what set up is better?

Big Brake Kit with ULTRALIGHTWEIGHT 18/19

or 16s with 2/1 pot brakes?
i dont think the big brakes are going to stop any faster. they are just going to be able to stop better for longer
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
DuMa
Senior Member
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Location: PNW
Posts: 904
Thanks: 199
Thanked 648 Times in 276 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Test it and find out. I'll be running 235/40/17s myself. I'll take the extra width and slightly shorter gearing myself. I have no intention of ever putting 18" or larger wheels on this car and would only consider 16s if I were running R comps in 245/45/16.

Others opinions and experience will vary so you probably just need to find which you like the most.
agreed. biggest i would ever run is maybe 245/40/17. the prices for 18" tires and wheels disgust me
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
18" OEM Wheels!!! madfast Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 40 12-11-2011 03:15 PM
Toyota Holds "FT-86 Fastest Painted Website" Event to Help Launch FR-S / FT-86 Snoopyalien24 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 35 11-26-2011 07:56 AM
Subaru BRZ Prototype First Drive Review: "Off the Chart" (Motor Trend) Hachiroku BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 67 11-09-2011 05:58 PM
May 2010 Car&Driver issue FT-86 article - "25 Cars Worth Waiting For" JDMinc Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 76 04-17-2010 03:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.