follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There is a flash provided at dealerships which raises idle rpms. I think up to minimum of 800rpm without dipping lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post
Corporations do secret things.

Like not issuing a TSB or recall. Instead they tell all dealerships to reflash the ECM to fix the idle condition when they come in for the mandatory Thermostat fix.

Some even go so far as to call it a flash for the thermostat when in fact it is really for the idle, especially if they make a minor change to the Thermostat setting, they can can the patch anything they like.

You really never know what a corporation will do.

Just hope the is a patch fr the idle problem along with the Thermostat setting.

Anyhow, from what I understand you still need the VVT components to be replaced and the flash is only a bandaid.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So this is not showing up on my my.subaru, vin is 0911 car was bought in MA, but is registered in VA.

Anyone know if they are only listing certain states due to expected temps, or because of issues on ones that were delivered to certain places?
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just check mysubaru and no recall is listed. my Vin is later in the 604000 range , but am in NJ, one of the states listed.

But....This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required.

Do we really need Subaru to modify the ECU to encourage the check engine light. Doesn't this car have enough of those already!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I just check mysubaru and no recall is listed. my Vin is later in the 604000 range , but am in NJ, one of the states listed.

But....This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required.

Do we really need Subaru to modify the ECU to encourage the check engine light. Doesn't this car have enough of those already!

Who knows, maybe they included the binaries for the CEL idle fix without mentioning it. This is probably a smart idea. Reducing the CEL problems without making a giant deal about it by covering it up with this engine coolant problem.
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I actually have an appointment tomorrow in CA. I'll let you know if I notice anything different with my brz. I don't have any issues with CEL at the moment. But I do have HPFP chirping.
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
BRZranger

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Recall is listed for mine VIN 261. I've had no CELs or any mechanical issues. I'll be bringing in soon for GPS fix and rear tail condensation also.
BRZranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone know if this is the latest reflash already included in ECUTek's latest release?
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
Hmm wonder why it's just these states. I wonder if there is more going on with this update that is not being shared with us. I see some strict states when it comes to emissions listed there.

Maybe we don't pass an OBD II with one cat if we change our exhaust system.
Hm, it's not just cold states then is it? Are these all the CA emissions states? I know Maryland has the same emissions reqs as CA, we just don't have that CARB and smog bull**** here (to my knowledge); VEIP in MD is just an ODBII scan for emissions.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
86BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited arrived on 9/1/2012
I got the notice from email. A Car purchase from CO and VIN 602xxx. Yes, any company will use this opportunity to patch the CEL issue with one shot.
86BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Just got my e-mail too.... kinda why I logged on to check what was going on.

Purchased in NJ... registered in PA.

VIN# 1009
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Hm, it's not just cold states then is it? Are these all the CA emissions states? I know Maryland has the same emissions reqs as CA, we just don't have that CARB and smog bull**** here (to my knowledge); VEIP in MD is just an ODBII scan for emissions.
Looks like it's West Coast + Northeast + MD? Definitely not just cold states and there are other cold states not included. You're probably right that it has to do with CA emissions states or something along those lines.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
mhigham

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
I don't understand. Are you saying it is better if we don't idle to warm up the engine?
Idle is the worst condition an engine can be in bar none. Some manufacturers have durability tests done at idle because it wrecks cams and upper end parts.
mhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhigham For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
WRXcellent

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB & 2002 WRX WRB
I got the email a little while ago as well from SOA for this issue, I guess I just got lucky checking my.subaru and seeing it before the email. My VIN # 11xx

I'm scheduled to have this taken care of next week. Also told the dealership about the crickets, gps, and rear popping noise... I've brought my WRX to this dealership before for recalls and SOA even agreed to replace my whole subframe with the control arm recall, but the guy on the phone this time kinda gave me an attitude when I told him about all these things and was like "Are these really happening to your car?" That ticked me off a bit and I'm sure it will take me many trips back and forth to get all the TSB's taken care of.
WRXcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Just got my email and have an appointment for this Saturday. They're already closed but I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they're doing the flash at the same time. If they do (can't see why they wouldn't) I'll report back about the process.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gily25 For This Useful Post:
developer (12-04-2012)