follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits
 
Sportsguy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Limited BRZ
Location: Miami
Posts: 10,770
Thanks: 20,004
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Sorry, no DIY. The three wires are actually 5........
Thanks a lot for all the good info!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
M_Dubbs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: My lil bro has a white BRZ limited
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
I meant more the form factor, there are many brands with something like that it looks like.

Yeah, Kicker makes one too. It definitely helped when I put it in a mid 90's chevy pickup. I would honestly steer clear of anythng made by Pyle. You may occasionally luck out and have something that functions decently at best, but in the last two weeks I've installed Pyle products customers brought me that did not work right out of the box.

The kicker one mentioned above works quite well for the money ($249.99 normal retail, amp, knob, and all wiring built in/included) and they make many sizes/varieties. I had a customer special order the 8" version for his Scion TC. He was very happy with it although if I recall correctly, it was not that much smaller than the 10" version. The specs can be found on Kicker's website. The unit also has a quick disconnect plug so you could remove it in less than a minute if you needed the space.
M_Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
jpit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 338
Thanks: 24
Thanked 234 Times in 86 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
You really should run a 10, 12, 14 gauge wire for power directly from the battery. You can get a left and right audio signal and the remote turn-on from the wires going to the small amp behind the back seat (driver's side). This amp powers the door speakers and I recommend that you replace it with something more powerful. In another thread in this section is a wiring diagram for this amp.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Karmelo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: SWP Limited BRZ MT
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I want to see the specs for Subaru's woofer
Karmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
vignesh
Engineer
 
vignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: WRB 2022 Subaru Brz
Location: Toronto/Michigan
Posts: 226
Thanks: 30
Thanked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just got the sound ordnance b-8pt powered sub that fits under the seat. Has anyone tired installing under the seat sub woofers?
vignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
ContainerGuy
Member
 
ContainerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm 99.9% sure I found the one I'm going with. Can anyone really be sure they're making the best decision? There are too many options out there. I was looking for something a little more than just a nice addition without getting outrageous super base ($$$$). I'm going with the Kicker 11PES10C.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611PS10C/Kicker-11PES10C.html?tp=114#details-tab
I measured the trunk area just behind the seats and it should fit nicely without taking up too much space. The speaker would face forward. I've talked with the guys at Crutchfield about several different configurations of sub's, powered and not powered, and we seemed gravitate more towards this one. They seem to think I’ll be impressed. We’ll see. The deciding factor was the amp. It has a 450 watt amp! That’s much higher than most the other powered subs. The price is a bit much to swallow compared to the others but I think it will be worth it. I really like the convenience factor of the built-in amp. The Kicker Solo Classic subwoofer is also known for being a decent sub. I can’t wait. I’ll order soon and send pics and my thoughts on its performance.

ContainerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #21
JoeBoxer
Senior Member
 
JoeBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,154
Thanks: 1,666
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I'd get the JBL one I have before that, the old school kicker solo's were nice but not sure about that one. Check out the JBL MSBassPro SQ I have pics of it installed in my build thread, I got lucky and got it for 200 but would easily pay 350-400 it can really put out some bass. You should also look at the alpine type r 8" sub that comes in a ported box but it doesn't have an amp, they sound good though.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #22
JoeBoxer
Senior Member
 
JoeBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,154
Thanks: 1,666
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
You would also want to face the sub towards the rear so the angle of that one is a little off.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #23
ContainerGuy
Member
 
ContainerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tempting… I went to your build thread, that JBL looks nice. It was a strong option when I was looking. It had the type of power I was looking for. I think I’ll stick to the Kicker though and see how that turns out. I’m sure I’d like either one. Why face the sub to the back? The base should be omnidirectional and I figured the speaker would be better protected from objects in the truck moving about (which happens quite often). I also thought it would be cool to put the rear seats down sometimes and see the speaker. I’m no audio expert though. Is there some reason to face it the other direction?
ContainerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #24
JoeBoxer
Senior Member
 
JoeBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,154
Thanks: 1,666
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Yes actually you want the sub to "load" in the trunk. Side firing or rear are usually preferred, ever heard a truck with the subs facing the the back of the seats? Definitely not good. The only time I would want them facing forward is if you were running an IB setup, I considered this but got too good of a deal on the JBL sub.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
mentalflow
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Rota MXR
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I live in Sherman Texas and the guy down the street at a small stereo shop had just got in a Nakamichi 8 inch under-seat subwoofer. He had ordered it for someone else but we took it out of the box and it fit under my seat with no problem. I did have to raise my seat up but I am only 5'8" so I was nowhere near hitting the roof. I think that is the route I am going for $225 with built in amp.
mentalflow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wishes/petition for a low powered 86/BRZ (TRD/STI)? RaceR EUROPE 27 01-21-2013 02:56 PM
Geneva 2010: Ruf RGT-8 is a V8-powered, 550-hp 911 vh_supra26 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 5 03-15-2010 01:53 PM
KickBoxer: Subaru WRX-powered motorcycle Lincoln Stax Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 2 10-30-2009 12:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.