follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #15
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
By the rate that people are chopping up twins to put on widebodies, it will also be rare to find a clean one in 20 years.
I can only pray that I'm just as quick as I am now in 20 years.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #16
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhhh View Post
Hi all,

Anyone else here coming from a different platform and is sooo excited to try out the car?

I've been building my 2020 Civic Si for the last year and a half or so, and although it's great in commuting and fun to drive, I wanted a more raw and thrilling driver's experience... also RWD

I'm currently in the process of parting out my car to prepare to sell my car as soon as the 86 hits the showroom, I've already called a few dealers and gave them my contact info for them to let me know right away once they get confirmation that they have some in transit.

Been watching reviews non stop and I've never been more excited for a car, glad to be here among you all and hope to learn a lot from y'all once we get our cars!!
Once you go RWD, you will lose a little bit of respect for pretty much every other drivetrain.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (08-26-2021), humdizzle (08-27-2021), Pete (08-25-2021), Zandermannnn (08-25-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 03:26 AM   #17
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Once you go RWD, you will lose a little bit of respect for pretty much every other drivetrain.
I thought you would say, once you go RWD you never go back.

Our platform is indeed very addictive and and trying some other cars, even for a day and when you come back to your car it feels so connected to you.

So difficult to divorce in this marriage. LOL!

*cough* GR Corolla or Yaris. *cough*
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thefalls For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #18
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefalls View Post
I thought you would say, once you go RWD you never go back.

Our platform is indeed very addictive and and trying some other cars, even for a day and when you come back to your car it feels so connected to you.

So difficult to divorce in this marriage. LOL!

*cough* GR Corolla or Yaris. *cough*
Yeah when that comes out I think people will flock to it. It’s the only other car I’m considering over the 86. Fully in house built Toyota, that’s most likely going to be built in Motomachi.
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeonsa For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I can only pray that I'm just as quick as I am now in 20 years.
different goals. i think humfrz can attest that with age, he's a quicker napper than he used to be!
Old 08-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeonsa View Post
Yeah when that comes out I think people will flock to it. It’s the only other car I’m considering over the 86. Fully in house built Toyota, that’s most likely going to be built in Motomachi.
Wheres the GR Yaris built?

Plus i think back to the 3 brothers heirarchy that Toyota apparently wanted...does the GR Yaris count as the third brother? (maybe a half brother and the GR Corolla is the other half brother for places where the GR YAris isnt sold?)
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #21
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Wheres the GR Yaris built?

Plus i think back to the 3 brothers heirarchy that Toyota apparently wanted...does the GR Yaris count as the third brother? (maybe a half brother and the GR Corolla is the other half brother for places where the GR YAris isnt sold?)
Motomachi, Japan where the LFA was built and currently where the LC500 is built.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #22
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
I bet we'll see the GR Corolla before a 2-door GR Yaris.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #23
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Thanked 1,004 Times in 530 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I bet we'll see the GR Corolla before a 2-door GR Yaris.
They're likely too busy with the Corolla cross. The GR hot hatch is on the website though.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #24
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
They're likely too busy with the Corolla cross. The GR hot hatch is on the website though.
Reveal is predicted to be early next year to summer time. It’s honestly the only reason why I’m holding on buying a 86 right away
Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #25
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhhh View Post
Hi all,

Anyone else here coming from a different platform and is sooo excited to try out the car?

I've been building my 2020 Civic Si for the last year and a half or so, and although it's great in commuting and fun to drive, I wanted a more raw and thrilling driver's experience... also RWD

I'm currently in the process of parting out my car to prepare to sell my car as soon as the 86 hits the showroom, I've already called a few dealers and gave them my contact info for them to let me know right away once they get confirmation that they have some in transit.

Been watching reviews non stop and I've never been more excited for a car, glad to be here among you all and hope to learn a lot from y'all once we get our cars!!
If your experience has only been FWD, be prepared to have your fingertips bombarded with sensations more than anything else. The act of sending power to the front wheels puts torque on the steering axis and drowns out smaller feedback from going up the tire and into the steering system. When the front wheels are just idle rollers, the only thing coming back up the steering system are the small sensations and changing loads on the steering axis.

And that's true of any vehicle, not just sports cars, that's why people who drive their trucks in 4WD all winter are dumb: You can feel the slightest slip angle when you're in 2WD with two fingers on the wheel and can catch a loss of control way before it becomes unmanageable. In 4WD you feel nothing and by the time the slip angle is felt in your butt, it's too late to catch it, that's why you see 4WDs in the ditch all the time in winter. Keeping my 4runner in 2WD and making it dance all winter saved me from being upside down in the ditch a few times.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #26
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i think that's a little over-sensationalist...

but i've always wanted/desired rwd so that i have active control of each axle... biggest difference between fwd and rwd in the loose snow for me is the control method. fwd is more like 4x4, where more is gained from throttle/steering application than braking.

4x4's biggest issue is that because of the locked/driven wheels, everything is solved/corrected with throttle input and steering angle, usually exacerbating sliding during that process, which goes against everything typical to human reaction to something under our control beginning undesirable action. standard human reaction in this case is to normally slow down and brake, which is just about the worst possible reaction to have in most poor traction situations, which is where the ditch-diving comes into play.

i specifically drive in inclement conditions in 4x4 due to the increased braking traction it offers, but i also tend to drive 1-fingered at the same time in an effort to compensate for the decreased steering feel.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #27
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
"While GR Yaris isn't coming to the U.S., perhaps it's time the U.S. got a Toyota hot hatch to call its own. One that continues to push the boundaries of performance. And one that can only come from TOYOTA GAZOO Racing."

I'm calling GR Corolla Hatch.

I think the Yaris is too one-off to bring to the U.S. market, at least that soon.

Plus it seems like sales are limited in the markets it's sold in. 300 in Mexico, 2000 in Australia. And the plant it's built in seems to have a lower production capacity.

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-g...ounced-130745/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...xico-sold-out/

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:26 AM   #28
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
"While GR Yaris isn't coming to the U.S., perhaps it's time the U.S. got a Toyota hot hatch to call its own. One that continues to push the boundaries of performance. And one that can only come from TOYOTA GAZOO Racing."

I'm calling GR Corolla Hatch.

I think the Yaris is too one-off to bring to the U.S. market, at least that soon.

Plus it seems like sales are limited in the markets it's sold in. 300 in Mexico, 2000 in Australia. And the plant it's built in seems to have a lower production capacity.

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-g...ounced-130745/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...xico-sold-out/
There is not a chance in the universe the GR Yaris will come to the US.

They don’t even sell a true Yaris here anymore. The one we get is just a rebadged Mazda. This is probably because the global Yaris is too small and unmarketable in the US. To bring the GR here, they would have to get the real Yaris to conform to US safety regulations and emissions, all for a market that is dwindling as SUVs and trucks continue to take over.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kona61 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (09-01-2021), Vides990 (09-01-2021)