follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pinata. If you get tired of trackdaybro you can easily cage/race it. Lots of competition available with pretty much any sanctioning body. FT86 isn't old enough to be dirt cheap yet.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #16
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
To play devils advocate for a Twin vs. Miata as a dedicated track car, there are a few things I'll mention in favor of the twins. Stock for stock, a twin will destroy anything but the new ND Miata around a track and the only thing you need to get started tracking a twin are brake pads and fluid. An oil cooler is recommended if you are tracking regularly or live in a hot climate but these things are all recommended for a Miata as well so it's not a point against a twin.

In order to get an older Miata within spitting distance of a stock twin, you are looking at upgraded tires and suspension to start off with, exhaust work and tuning to make up for the power deficit. In the end, you might be in for a little under a used 13/14 twin but you are working with a much older car and will have to deal with old car type problems.

Finally, if you are planning to trailer the car, this doesn't matter but if not, the twins win instantly if you want to carry a lot of stuff or spare tires.

Anyways, just things to think about.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Hades (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,380 Times in 7,413 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Another thing to consider in regards to the Twin is you are getting all the modern creature comforts that you will not have in the older Miatas from the factory. I only track my car about 4 times a year so on road conforts played a huge roll in my decision.
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
imho an NC is the best bang for your buck sports car out there right now, decent ones for $10k all day long, but the NB has better aftermarket support (and they're still cheaper to buy, for now).

A '14+ MY car should be solid, but at $5k+ more than a Miata, I don't think you're getting much more for your money when the purpose is dedicated track duty. If it was a DD sure, the practicality is worth it, that's why most bought the car.

What kind of tires do you want to use? If you're thinking about eventually migrating to full on slick tires you don't want to drive on the street the 86 comes back into play since you can fit a set of tires, a jack, stands, and tools in the back of an 86, with a Miata you'll need to drive on them to the track or get a trailer (either a tire trailer for the Miata or a car trailer with tow vehicle).

They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but for a casual dedicated HPDE car, street tires, a reliable vehicle to play with and pound out thousands of laps, I'd pick a Miata. And as Tony mentions it also is a means to get more serious and eventually go wheel to wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
As the others said, a car with manufactured day after June '14. Many of the first year engine and tune issues were solved after this period. Performance wise you won't see serious differences.
I think you mean June 2013 is when the early bugs were worked out and the fixed tune was confirmed, a late '13 should be ok, MY'14 cars rolled out a few months later, but it's easier to search for a '14 than trying to figure out if you're looking at a late model '13 vs. an early model '13.

recent discussion:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=4537
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=4539
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,068 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The rocker arm issue kinda freaks me out. Not exactly an easy fix and it's a roll of the dice if you are going to have it.
I'd forgotten about that...if I recall correct, it's a pretty rare occurrence though..
Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yea, I sure wouldn't want to drive a track prepped miata to & from the track. When you're factoring in a truck + trailer, the cost for going all in on a miata is likely more. The FRS/BRZ has plenty of space for extra food/tent/chairs/tires which are all nice to have at the track as well. There's also an 86spec racing series for the twins as well, albeit probably not as popular as spec miata.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just restating what has been said above:

A) Is this a dedicated track car with no plates.
B) Are you wanting to do all the mod to the car yourself.

If the answers are YES and NO----get a Miata
If the answers are NO and YES----twin is a good answer

A used setup Miata is very fun and will get your feet more than wet, heck many still qualify for racing.

The twin will make a fun track car that you can fix as you like and even drive on the road, however it will cost more and legal for racing will not work on the road.

Either one as a competitive track car will require a trailer and toe vehicle.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Hades (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
kooliosupraboi

Drives: 2015 STI
Wow thanks for the tremendous amount of replies in such a short time.

To address all the people suggesting miata, here's why I'm leaning towards the 86 twin more. Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted a miata as a track car, even before I got my STI. However, one thing that is making me reluctant to get a miata is size for me. I don't fit very well in one..

NA with the seat all the way back, my knees hit the wheel and my hands get very close to being caught at my knees. I've driven one at autox for several runs. It's not as noticeable when driving, but that was autox so it was pretty short and hectic to really notice. I would think for a full track it might become more obvious.

I haven't driven an NB/NC so hard to say on seating position there.

ND, much better than NA but still knees come close to wheels, I remember bruising the side of my knees from bracing against the door and the center area.

I have driven FRS, and its way more comfortable to drive than any of the miatas stock for stock that's for sure. I don't know for certain if a bucket seat with an aftermarket steering wheel would help in a miata, but if it does, then I might be game again. But I don't really want to take that risk. Kind of a primary reason why I chose the 86 over the miata.

But it seems like to me the consensus is MY14+ which I will continue to do my search on...

I plan to keep plates on the car for the near future. The main purpose would be to drive on the track, but I would probably drive it occasionally here and there on the streets if I feel like it.

@ Racecomp Primary reason for frs track car is for driver improvement and fast laps eventually. Trying to keep it stock (except tires+brakes) until I can "max" it out.
kooliosupraboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kooliosupraboi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-10-2018), Racecomp Engineering (02-09-2018), TorontoNat (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,380 Times in 7,413 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I'd forgotten about that...if I recall correct, it's a pretty rare occurrence though..
Yes, I agree that it is not a common thing. I do drive upwards of 3 hours one way to my favorite track so it is still kind of concerning to me.
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I think you mean June 2013 is when the early bugs were worked out and the fixed tune was confirmed, a late '13 should be ok, MY'14 cars rolled out a few months later, but it's easier to search for a '14 than trying to figure out if you're looking at a late model '13 vs. an early model '13.

Yes

Only the coil packs were fixed in the MY'14 cars.

Last edited by nikitopo; 02-09-2018 at 01:46 PM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
NB Miata is basically the same as the NA. With a bucket on the floor and a 5/6 point will be a non-issue for person fitment. You'd have to be 6'4"+ and 250+ to be uncomfortable. Storage for to/from the track shouldn't be an issue with a bag of tools and helmet & gear. Tight but not a big deal. Really, you cannot beat a Miata for price. Blow up an engine/gearbox/rear end? Used ones are cheap and easy to come by.

With the twin you're paying more up front and more in consumables for everything. All for the convenience of a roof and a little more power. If the argument is cheap, Miata is your answer. If you don't mind the added costs, go for the twin.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #26
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I track on my FRS, but just to say a few things in favor of the miata. I have a couple of friends who do TT in their miatas and its also their street cars. They have a different set of wheels and they just remove the passenger seat and put the wheels there to go to and back from the track. It works for them, might work for you. They do spend a lot less money on consumables than I do, but most of their cars are also slower than mine (a few are still faster, and still use less money on tires/brakes than I do).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #27
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Keep in mind, with a Miata you're likely to want/need a rollbar for the track. That makes it unstreetable IMO unless you're willing to take a risk cracking your skull getting rear ended.

If you're going full blown track car (with a cage, trailer, whole nine yards), Miata wins on most accounts.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #28
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooliosupraboi View Post
However, one thing that is making me reluctant to get a miata is size for me. I don't fit very well in one..
If this was the case then why even consider it? Seems like a lot of posts replying in the blind without info from you.

Would've just said FRS/BRZ to begin with had I known you have fitment issues within a Miata.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote