follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I figured I'd bump this thread since I found it while searching...

Why would you want to switch tunes, or why do you guys do it "often"? Only reasons I can think are going from E85/unleaded, and for smog or dealership visits.
For dealership visits you. Would want to flash back to your original Rom. The ecutek map switching is achieved by altering the actual program code of the Rom and adding additional program code which can reference up to 4 maps and other additional tables e.g. custom maps to perform additional functions and interpret inputs from non standard sensor inputs it's an entirely different Rom.

Most other tuning platforms just alter the table data and leave the program code unaltered except for some minor patches for launch control an flat foot shift, these implementations are much less sophisticated than ecutek where lc and ffs parameters and maps can be changed on the fly without the need to reflash.

The logging and other features make ecutek a better platform and faster for tuners to achieve their goals but it does cost more you just have to work out if you want or need the extra features and capabilities against the price.

You might want a 91 93 e85 tune plus tune with or without of offs. Or you might want a low boost economy tune for daily drive and then full boost track tune switchable on the fly.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
unsurety (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
For dealership visits you. Would want to flash back to your original Rom. The ecutek map switching is achieved by altering the actual program code of the Rom and adding additional program code which can reference up to 4 maps and other additional tables e.g. custom maps to perform additional functions and interpret inputs from non standard sensor inputs it's an entirely different Rom.

Most other tuning platforms just alter the table data and leave the program code unaltered except for some minor patches for launch control an flat foot shift, these implementations are much less sophisticated than ecutek where lc and ffs parameters and maps can be changed on the fly without the need to reflash.

The logging and other features make ecutek a better platform and faster for tuners to achieve their goals but it does cost more you just have to work out if you want or need the extra features and capabilities against the price.

You might want a 91 93 e85 tune plus tune with or without of offs. Or you might want a low boost economy tune for daily drive and then full boost track tune switchable on the fly.
You wouldn't want to switch to a "stock" map for dealer visits since the ecu code is so hacked. Flash a stock map with ECUtek is much better, but even that isn't "Stock" because it has license data embedded in it.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
the first (maybe not) FFC+LC patches were written by tyniwrex, here's his site (which btw has BRZ patch - so I HIGHLY doubt it's defined in stock rom): http://www.ecu-mods.com/online/
here's another interesting read: http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic...unch%20control
are those the same patches that OFT uses? If so, have they cleared it with tinywrex?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
You wouldn't want to switch to a "stock" map for dealer visits since the ecu code is so hacked. Flash a stock map with ECUtek is much better, but even that isn't "Stock" because it has license data embedded in it.
Did not say it too well but that was my thoughts exactly, it one slight "problem" with ecutek the stock map isnt exactly the same
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
i don't know what OFT uses - it's not opened source. But Td-d have posted that there was an opened source implementation done independently of tinywrex's code, it's posted somewhere on RR. so OFT guys could implement their own or use opened source rather than use tinywrex's code.

Do you know what OFT stands for? OpenFlash Tablet. The OFT uses the open flash protocols (which is open source), the only proprietary stuff about the tablet is the hardware and the software you use to load tunes to the tablet.

You could do the exact same stuff manually using a Tactrix cable and a laptop, but the OFT is a lot more portable and user friendly than the alternatives with open flash.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #20
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Funny, I didn't see this thread at all. So much incorrect information earlier on in the thread... I think Vgi's covered most of the inaccuracies. All these features are proprietary code that is compiled and added into the stock code, and is 'hooked' in at the relevant areas to redirect the stock code to run the modified code. (E.g. if switch speed density = 1, then JSR to SD code, as opposed to run stock MAF code).

Since I'm holding the torch for opensource, I'll just make the point that there has been hacks in the OS community going back many years, on multiple platforms, I suspect long before the commercial guys got involved. Tinywrx has been mentioned (who actually wrote all the code required for live tuning on the older 16bit roms, just never got implemented in the GUI, and a host of other hacks for LC, FFS, valet, etc.). Tephra on the Mitsu side did an enormous amount of work for the Evo's, NSFW created another LC / FFS implementation, and more recently Merp has created a whole range of impressive hacks, including multiple map switching, map blending (usable with various triggers, e.g. TGV sensor inputs - think flex fuel, live mode switching, SI drive switching), CEL and other conditions (EGTs, Coolant), a very sophisticated launch control and FFS system that puts both the Ecutek and OFT implementation to shame - matched to the OEM gear ratios, with the ability to retard timing, compensate fueling, remove FBKC; a whole range of boost and wastegate hacks for map switching; Blended speed density.

I could go on... bottom line is that this has not yet been ported across to the BRZ platform - primarily due to the different CPU that these ecu use. But that's just a matter of time - if you doubt me, I compiled this for a mate for a 2006 hawkeye Sti this weekend:

Last edited by Td-d; 05-11-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (05-10-2014), steve99 (05-10-2014), vgi (05-10-2014), vynervt (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Yup - all that's understood about the stock code has been reverse engineered from the assembly language.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #22
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Two things: oft/brzedit launch control isn't launch control, it's a two step rev limiter. It does nothing at all to actually control the launch after you drop the clutch, ecutek does.

Also the main difference between a patched rom and what ecutek does in my view is the method of implementation. Open source patches have to be ported feature by feature, one by one into each rom (hence why we don't have it yet) whereas ecutek doesn't implement features, it gives tuners a method by which to implement any feature (custom maps). Even when the patches are ported you still won't have custom mapping, which really is the secret sauce to begin with.

Think of it as adding a few bullet points to a list of features vs opening up the ability to create almost any feature you can imagine yourself. It's a big difference.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Yeah, sorry I don't quite buy that - yes, custom maps are flexible and provide the ability to generate a multitude of controls given that you control the parameters that make up the axis - but are you honestly saying that they are so powerful that code is not required to implement various features?
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

The code would be pretty straightforward actually - code an additional routine that attaches to the main routine, using the normal lookup table map pull functions, and variable inputs / outputs. Still doesn't replace proper control logic structure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
vgi (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
you are confused on terminology. Opened Source means that I can see the actual program source code (which makes that hardware work) in whatever language (programming language that it) it's written. There, you said it yourself that it is proprietary. More over, it's not only proprietary but also not available for anyone to see.

there is no such a thing as 'open flash protocols'. there are layers of proprietary protocols for communication with various ECUs (ours is made by Denso). Those protocols documentation can be found (or not) somewhere on a web but it doesn't make those protocols 'open source'. Moreover, besides the communication protocols there is also a propriety 'handshake' to initialize communication with ECU coded by Subaru which is meant to protect their ECU from flashing.

so, what's left (and you've said it yourself - "the only proprietary stuff about the tablet is the hardware and the software you use to load tunes to the tablet") is just the ROM (tune). another words there is nothing opened about OFT but the BINARY ROM (which is a collection of data tables defined by start address and length and binary code). You can see and modify the tables if you know how to parse that data from ROM. That what tuning programs like RomRaider do. You can't see the code though and what exactly logic behind it (let me know if you can read binary file and say what it does byte by byte). And that is exactly why I said it's not opened source. Opened Source implementation you can find and read it in plain c++ programming language.
Just because you can view the source code does not mean it's open source. There is a HUGE difference between open source software and just having access to the source code.

What I meant by OFT being open source is that the technologies it uses are for the most part open and readily available. The OFT is just a nice package that bundles readily available things into an easy to use package.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I never argued on OFT being a great package and has always recommended it to people who want a flashing solution with ots tunes.

I believe I have made my point but if it doesn't get through I'll let shiv to make a comment on that if he feels like it.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote