follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
C. Charles Hahn

Drives: GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valvewynn83 View Post
So i talked to my body shop friend last night about this issue
Mistake #1.... don't ask body shops about detailing.

Quote:
and he told me (warned me) not to us this opti coat and said they use to use this after a paint and found after a few years it will jack up the paint making it flake off!
Your friend is uninformed, and it sounds like he doesn't know what this product actually is. I have NEVER heard a single report of OptiCoat causing delamination issues, and especially not on factory paint.

Opti-Coat has only been around since 2004-2005 and in the early years its distribution was highly controlled. Only qualified professional installers, and pretty much only detailers had it, so I HIGHLY doubt your friend's shop "used to use it."

Opti-Coat/Opti-Guard has proven itself to be a perfectly safe product about which you should have zero concerns of this sort whatsoever.
Bonburner (07-24-2012), kaisernaut (07-20-2012), kwood9000 (07-21-2012), mikenap (07-20-2012), raul (09-10-2012), rick (07-21-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post

Maybe that's why there is a opti coat 2.0.
I believe opticoat 2.0 was made so installation was easier. so they could feel safer selling it to non professional detailers. The original version I believed cured really fast making it hard for to coat evenly. (so only pros were allowed to use it)
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
I believe opticoat 2.0 was made so installation was easier. so they could feel safer selling it to non professional detailers. The original version I believed cured really fast making it hard for to coat evenly. (so only pros were allowed to use it)
Yeah I was joking in my post.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
from my experience, subaru has never had the highest quality paint. most toyota products i have seen are a better quality after a few years of daily driving both brands
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Yeah I was joking in my post.
ahh haha.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #20
rick

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Even if it was made by Subaru isnt there like a minimum quality standard check done by Toyota?!
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #21
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
If opti makes the paint flake, then it will be time for my custom paint I want~
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
stalon320

Drives: Scion FR-S coming 2013!
Great.. this is not something I want to hear.. So now after spending what will be like $26K for my car next year I will have to worry about the paint?? So how much will this opti-coat cost me? I doubt I will have the ability to do this stuff myself as I don't have all that time on my hands..lol.
Seriously though, what are some of the costs involved in these processes and will they help keep the paint ok and protect it from chips and scratches??

Countdown to Spring 2013- FR-S A/T in either Argento or Raven
stalon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Now I'm feeling more and more like an S2000 owner again... The paint on that car was super thin, nicks/chips/scratches came easily.

Glad I set that appt for a clearbra.

What about that Strong Arm or Tough Stuff or whatever the heck it's called?
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
from my experience, subaru has never had the highest quality paint. most toyota products i have seen are a better quality after a few years of daily driving both brands
Quote:
Even if it was made by Subaru isnt there like a minimum quality standard check done by Toyota?!
"Most" toyotas might be good, however... I bought a new Scion TC back in 2007, and the paint was terribly thin on that car.. There were tons of TC owners complaining of the same thing on the TC forums back then too. Not sure if the new Scion models still have this problem or not.

I guess Subaru + Scion = Cheap & Cheaper!
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
Hamza7

Drives: MiniVan
The paint of these cars are actually pretty soft but they have plenty of paint. Their on the high side at 140-160 microns. Clear bra's are great but for the same price of a complete front clear bra package you can get a excellent paint job. The only difference, clear bra's swirl up and fade and paint job will look better in say 6-8 years.

Just get the repaint done 3-4 years in.
Hamza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #26
C. Charles Hahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza7 View Post
The paint of these cars are actually pretty soft but they have plenty of paint. Their on the high side at 140-160 microns. Clear bra's are great but for the same price of a complete front clear bra package you can get a excellent paint job. The only difference, clear bra's swirl up and fade and paint job will look better in say 6-8 years.

Just get the repaint done 3-4 years in.
I don't agree with that at all. First off, there are now self-healing clear bras that don't swirl up and, by all indications thus far, don't fade (XPEL Ultimate). Also it is often possible to correct a swirled clear bra.

Unless you're left with absolutely no choice but to have a vehicle refinished following a collision or other substantial damage, it's better to do what you can to retain the factory finish on a vehicle. I would much rather have a clear bra installed and replace it if it wears down or starts to look ratty down the road than simply leave the paint unprotected and have to refinish it in 3-4 years.
kaisernaut (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #27
Hamza7

Drives: MiniVan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Charles Hahn View Post
I don't agree with that at all. First off, there are now self-healing clear bras that don't swirl up and, by all indications thus far, don't fade (XPEL Ultimate). Also it is often possible to correct a swirled clear bra.

Unless you're left with absolutely no choice but to have a vehicle refinished following a collision or other substantial damage, it's better to do what you can to retain the factory finish on a vehicle. I would much rather have a clear bra installed and replace it if it wears down or starts to look ratty down the road than simply leave the paint unprotected and have to refinish it in 3-4 years.
XPEL IS having a yellowing issue right now and it difficult to correct a swirled up clear bra. I've tried several time.

A another point is that rock chips can still get through clear bra. even Accumulator has had a problem with that.

When the factory finish is soo soft, why bother protecting it. A good repaint job that will more or less match the exact colour will cost you half as much as a clear bra job. A lot of paint shops, some that I endorse have a life time warranty JUST LIKE XPEL.

For a lot of people, these cars are daily drivers. Give them year and see if they still care about the one or two chips they had when they were new.

If you plan on doing a lease return or selling this in the near future, please get a clear bra it will save you some headache but for everyone else who plans on keeping this car for a while I STILL ENDORSE REPAINT OVER CLEAR BRA.
Hamza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza7 For This Useful Post:
MattR (09-11-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #28
C. Charles Hahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza7 View Post
XPEL IS having a yellowing issue right now and it difficult to correct a swirled up clear bra. I've tried several time.
Hmm... I haven't heard about that, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
A another point is that rock chips can still get through clear bra. even Accumulator has had a problem with that.

When the factory finish is soo soft, why bother protecting it. A good repaint job that will more or less match the exact colour will cost you half as much as a clear bra job. A lot of paint shops, some that I endorse have a life time warranty JUST LIKE XPEL.

For a lot of people, these cars are daily drivers. Give them year and see if they still care about the one or two chips they had when they were new.

If you plan on doing a lease return or selling this in the near future, please get a clear bra it will save you some headache but for everyone else who plans on keeping this car for a while I STILL ENDORSE REPAINT OVER CLEAR BRA.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that point; I realize that there is no such thing as a perfect solution, but I prefer a different approach than you do.