follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Shitbox" at 14:25

Haha
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
valorton

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought the FRS because I like the style and performance for the price. I wanted a car to take to Buttonwillow and Cal Speedway to have fun with my friends who drive their Vets and BMW's. I am extremely happy with my decision to get it. I took a ride last week with an expert driver Mark Chen in his BRZ that had only ungraded to track tires and brakes. His driving skill took that car around the track faster than 75% of the cars out there including all the Vets lol! It was worth that ride alone to feel the performance edge of that BRZ.

If you don't like the FRS, you don't have to own it. Anyone can find reasons to not like a car. Stop criticizing it just to stroke your ego.
valorton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valorton For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (02-06-2013), HotLeopardMama (05-15-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I didn't watch the video, he still BOUGHT one, last I checked.

/thread.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
WTF is wrong with you?
Nothing I can think of off the top of my head... but opinions vary.

Why?

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Let me say, I dont take offense to any of the comments, say what you want, I do listen to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMash View Post
How to get youtube hits:

Say you hate something popular at the start of your video.

Formula winner. Fanbois will arc up

a few points raised...

1. Power - done to death... it's not a drag car...
2. interior - get the better model
3. replace your tail lights... under warranty
4. cel experience ^ - sounds like a shit dealer.
5.Again this is not a car for drag racing -
1. The biggest question I am asked, "How do I like it, is it fast?" As stated in America, Toyota and Subrau missed the boat for our market by building one of the best enthusiast cars of the past decade and then not giving it what it needed to get out of its own way. When mid sized cars, sport compacts, trucks, SUVs, and even mini vans are faster in a straight line it's a harsh reality. Most reviews are not honest about that. Most drivers dont live on the track, we are all mostly cafe racers in the USA,

2. BRZ does nothing to fix interior quality aside from seating fabric and, HVAC controls.

3. Have replaced tails following TSB, still leaking.

4. CEL - Global Critical Backorder on ECM dealers all confirmed.

5. Not trying to drag race the car, that was not the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrey View Post
Never compare your car with a minivan. They've become shockingly fast these days, it can be depressing.

What cars were you speaking of owning in the past? The ones you didn't drive much?
The FR-S is that in between, like you said almost like the rental car syndrome, get in and and have fun.

Recently I have had:
Exige, Atom, AP1/AP2 S2000, etc.
I kart now, it's cheaper than having a garage queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
It's still embarrassing to have your doors blown in by a soccer mom. I know people that own this car will defend it's lack of power, but can't we all agree that it would be nice if it put down a little more to the wheels?

As much as I thought I wanted this car, I'm leaning more towards a WRX every day. Same amount of money, AWD, more usable space, and it will set you back in your seat.
Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraRon View Post
Maybe you should take on the minivan around the track. As many have stated, its a drivers car. Not a people mover. I dont think thats a fair comparison. My Odyssey can spank the FRS. So what. That said, there is a lot more the FRS could've had, but I'm very happy with what it has for the price I paid.
Been in an Odyssey around the track when Honda had one prepped for a series, it was fast and funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlo622 View Post
Yeah! What head unit is that? and what app is it running?
Nexus 7 with my custom UI. The app is a plug in for Torque called Race Meter which I customized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Congratulations Dezoris on posting yet another "FRS Sucks" video on an FRS Fan Site.

Did your parents just not give you the attention you wanted as a kid and you are now, in your adult life left with a void that you must fill by provoking others?

You're not hip, you're not "different", you aren't doing anything "ground breaking", you're not "exposing" anything, you have no credentials, you're not a journalist (automotive or otherwise), you're not an authority on cars or the industry, you're not a professional driver, you are not original, you are not amusing (well maybe a few times in the video), and I don't think even you know what you're trying to prove.

You're just another guy with a camera and an internet connection that have this stupid idea in your head that your voice means anything to complete strangers on the internet. Not unlike most of us here...

At least you occupy your free time by making harmless videos instead of torturing bunnies, or pushing over elderly people.

Scott
I get what you are saying, I really do, you don't have to like me or my opinion but it sounds like you respect it as I do yours. All I am offering is an alternate opinion to all of the reviews that let so much of the bad slide. Those reviewers don't own the car I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
WTF is wrong with you?
Its ok he hated the first part. Its not nearly as bad as some of the messages I got on youtube. One guy said he was going to find me, pull me out of my car and slit my throat in front of my family!!

Its the internet, brings out the best in people
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Wanted to slap you for the first couple minutes (but that was your goal), then your girlfriend came on and melted my heart, that accent . After that you started to make sense, good review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Scott
Dude did you watch the video? It's pretty unbiased. It's kind of like if Clarkson was boring and decided to focus on the minutia instead of the big picture.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4pdx View Post
"Shitbox" at 14:25Haha
I re-shot that part about 6x because I had to be extremely careful how it was worded. I saw the discussion about it on here. And that's about the best description to describe it when you are rolling down the road, the windows seals are leaking, the dash is rattling, deck is popping, tails are leaking etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorton View Post
I bought the FRS because I like the style and performance for the price. I wanted a car to take to Buttonwillow and Cal Speedway to have fun with my friends who drive their Vets and BMW's. I am extremely happy with my decision to get it. I took a ride last week with an expert driver Mark Chen in his BRZ that had only ungraded to track tires and brakes. His driving skill took that car around the track faster than 75% of the cars out there including all the Vets lol! It was worth that ride alone to feel the performance edge of that BRZ.

If you don't like the FRS, you don't have to own it. Anyone can find reasons to not like a car. Stop criticizing it just to stroke your ego.
The same can be said about any car, it's all about the driver to get around a track fast.

On the street where we live, does not matter your skill level, if you are behind some sleeping minivan going 40 in a 55 on a two lane road and you decide to pass and all of a sudden Johnny Nascar wakes up and stomps the throttle all your skill is not going to pass them in the FR-S/BRZ.

That's the real world of daily driving in America that was my point of the minivan segment.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
naikaidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Its the internet, brings out the best in people
Actually from my experience, it brings out the worst. People tend to sling the most mud while on a perch of safety from repercussion. With the internet, that perch of safety is the anonymity.

Again, from my experience, most people want to be the most positive and reassuring in the presence of others that will recognize and praise the person and the internet doesn't facilitate that as well.

Look, I get that you really aren't that happy with the car and you are having some reliability issues that many are experiencing. I admit my tail lights have already been replaced once and are still leaking (not as bad thankfully). Also, some of the gripes that you make on the FRS are in fact legitimate and echo just about every gripe that I have ever heard about the car.

How about this? Why not direct your energy and time to creating a gripe video aimed directly at Toyota and Subaru? You could literally say just about everything you have been already but you would have significantly less people hating you for it.

Here's the difference. By labeling your points merely as counter-points to reasons why there are thousands of people dearly love the twins, you will inevitably piss off a lot of people. (there must be some part of you that cares about that). By making the SAME points in a video aimed at Toyota and Subaru for the areas where they FAILED on the twins, these same people will be much more likely to rally to your cause.

Just something to think about.

Scott
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I watch Dezoris' reviews with a friendly smirk. Some people get butt hurt when he disproportionately focuses the shortcomings (which there are). But all other reviews have already said the good stuff so watching someone poke fun at this car with a dose of honesty is different and entertaining. Otherwise, it'd be another bland review. If you look past the sarcasm, it's evident that he's just another owner who loves this car like we do.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Most people's problem is that you disrespect the car, like the minivan scene. Among others it's not an unbiased review. I already commented on the video sharing the #1 point of the video. But to make this disrespecting video and at the end say that (check my comment) is counter productive.

People aren't going to appreciate your delivery. Which won't make you fans.

Let's not forget 4 months ago you uploaded part 1 and like u said before was blasted on you tube. That's because you came across very pompous and biased. You need to analyze how you are delivering every sentence. Because it's not enjoyable to watch when someone 99% of time is putting down the car you drive. this can be done for ANY car.

I like your videos to a degree, you just need to work on delivery. Maybe do a how-to-video for the Nexus setup. get some respect.

IMO
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
naikaidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Wanted to slap you for the first couple minutes (but that was your goal), then your girlfriend came on and melted my heart, that accent . After that you started to make sense, good review.

Dude did you watch the video? It's pretty unbiased. It's kind of like if Clarkson was boring and decided to focus on the minutia instead of the big picture.
Oh boy, I have to explain this again.

Top Gear and other programs, websites and journalists do not go on Porsche owner's fan sites and post what crappy cars they are. Doing such a thing is about as counter-productive as it gets and does nothing for the conversation. People (the public) deliberately watch these shows and read this material searching for that viewpoint from a trusted source. An opinion that is solicited is differently received that an opinion that is presented without asking for it.

Also, a video made by an unhappy FRS owner (whether legitimately unhappy or not) is not unbiased. If you spent less time gawking at his girlfriend you would see this. I don't think even Dezoris would claim he is completely unbiased.

Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to naikaidriver For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
typedef struct

Drives: 2013 MT FR-S in Asphalt
My first bike was a Ninja 250. The FRS is something of the sports car equivalent of that: super fun and great to learn on, not enough power to get yourself in too much trouble. Except that instead of having to trade up after a couple years like with the 250, you can just drop a turbo in
typedef struct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I appreciate the man's honesty and he is pretty spot on with his remarks. The interior quality is a disappointment, particularly the seat fabric and some of the cheap plastics. I haven't had the tail light or cel issues but have had the chirping. It would be nice to have 40 more horsepower but I'm fine with it as it is. All in all a good and honest review with good humour.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
Saber_TRD (02-08-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post
I like your videos to a degree, you just need to work on delivery.
The way he exaggerates the negatives is the dark horse of his reviews. He's not out to get our approval as a reviewer (at least I hope he isn't). He tries to tug on our heart strings, stir up controversy. He even blatantly puts "nasty" in the title. That title already implicates that it isn't a neutral review. It's a nasty one! So his reviews are not to be taken seriously (at least I don't think). Maybe he could work on delivering his sarcasm in a way that's a bit more obvious? But if it is supposed to be taken completely seriously and he's giving us his holistic view, then (in that case) yeah it's pretty awful. lol