follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbar View Post
Eh.

Not really.

About 20 hours of reading and looking at the unlimited knowledge published on the Internet will get 95% solution. Nothing else will be noticeable or worth the investment for 99/100 users.

Some trial and error, road testing, etc.

I've been building custom stuff since I was a kid using the same methods, guidelines and rules. It's good enough to make its way on race tracks and race cars around the world, as well as the personal cars of actual race team aero engineers.

It's really not that hard. Providing a service to people without the means or desire to do it themselves is one thing but saying its some kind of magic that people won't do right is just misleading.

Man....I wish I knew it only took 20 hours of reading to get the the 95% solution for aero. You must be a smarter man than I since I have spent the last 8 years on aero and I don't even get to 95%

Many people won't make it right and some will. It really depends on the goals and what they are trying to achieve. Also to many, much of aero is magic and describing it as magic is accurate in my opinion. An example is turbulence modeling. It is applying a mathematical model to a chaotic event that cannot actually be solved with current methods for an exact answer. So this is estimated with governing equations known as a turbulence model. Depending on the model used, different answers can be received. Picking the correct models is part of the "magic" which comes from experience.
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plucas For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #16
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I have the FT86Speedfactory/Velox Race Splitter and their new diffuser... I have zero fitment issues... It installed with ease and without issue...

also the car is MUCH more stable at speed with the diffuser to balance out my splitter.
johan (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishenoy1 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking to add a rear diffuser that covers the muffler and the gap in front of it. The only aftermarket one I've seen that does this adequately is the CLEiB diffuser,which is gorgeous, but crazy expensive.

After doing some searching, I found that TRD sells a similar, functional diffuser in Japan for the high response muffler (JDM quad tip).

My question is does anyone have this diffuser? Does it fit on other muffler's and provide adequate ground clearance? What are the dimensions of the JDM high response muffler as opposed to USDM stock/USDM TRD Catback?

I'm very tempted to just buy it and see if it fits since it's pretty low risk (under $200), and it looks like it would fit any muffler with only a slight bit of tweaking.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/40769

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota...ear%20diffuser
Back on topic for you @avishenoy1. I have the TRD diffuser and it is actually one of the better priced pieces. The fins do bend if you hit the rear really hard. I replaced mine after going over a really big curb. Mate straightened it out to as good as new for on his car.

With some modification it will likely fit with non-TRD exhaust but I think it does bolt to the TRD muffler that may be a different shape from the stock exhaust.

Last edited by nzer; 07-17-2015 at 10:47 AM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nzer For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (07-17-2015), swarb (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
I have the FT86Speedfactory/Velox Race Splitter and their new diffuser... I have zero fitment issues... It installed with ease and without issue...

also the car is MUCH more stable at speed with the diffuser to balance out my splitter.
Nice car! What size wheels and make. You lowered?

Also does the TRD diffuser work with standard bumper?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #19
Teclis
Marine Electrician

Drives: Toyota TRD86, 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEric6 View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to speak up on this as it is a pet-peeve of mine when poor information gets spread around and what ultimately holds back the aftermarket industry as a whole. Not just everyone can go produce a truly function rear diffuser. It takes quite a bit of knowledge, understanding of fluid flow (CFD ability helps to validate), and to make it nice, a good ability with sheet metal in this case (carbon fiber/fiberglass being another option).

Not just anyone can go produce a good injector, a good strut, a good big brake kit, a good piston, a good rod, etc. Aerodynamic pieces aren't any different if you want to build a well handling vehicle at speed.

To get down to the diffuser the OP posted about; no doubt that it will improve fluid flow out the rear of the vehicle vs. not having anything. For the price, it's a good piece. There are other, better alternatives out there that I have no doubt will improve performance vastly over that piece though. If you believe you possess the three abilities above, then building your own should be a consideration as well.
Will the diffuser you guys have, fit an JDM TRD rear with the EDM TRD quad exhaust?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Createddeleted View Post
You're promoting and linking to a product that has had multiple fitment issues, bending of the rear strakes, and is currently in re-development planned over a period of months? Do you even own one?

For the original topic, it may fit with some modifications, but maybe you could look into buying materials to make you're own? With a $200 budget you could make something relatively similar and it would be an education project.
Quote:
I say go for it. It's a really good option.
Quote:
There are actually a ton of diffusers available, plenty that are unique. The trd one you're looking at is actually phenomenal for a decent price.

And you can diy one for pretty cheap that will perform just as good as any off the shelf ones available. It's not a terribly difficult or magical part to build as long as you're willing to put hours in.

I've walked several people through building their own, as well as recommendations on which ones work great for their budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
The TRD diffuser above seems to leave a lot of area uncovered. The price is nice, and generally speaking I trust TRD. If my budget was only $200, I would have considered it.

I am however, another person here who has the Velox / FT86Speedfactory diffuser in possession. It was delivered 2 days ago.

How is it? FT86SF's packaging caused some damage. With @NotEric6 's assistance (who was in contact with me immediately and the whole way through), the problem is fixed. FT86SF has taken care of me as well.

The R&D on this product was transparent and Velox's data has been released to the public. As far as Aero parts go, there is a very small percentage of MFGs out there that release this info. The quality, fit and finish of the diffuser is second to none. If it fits your budget, buy it. To me, it's worth every penny to know that it is attached securely to the car, it's well made, and most importantly it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Back on topic for you @avishenoy1. I have the TRD diffuser and it is actually one of the better priced pieces. The fins do bend if you hit the rear really hard. I replaced mine after going over a really big curb. Mate straightened it out to as good as new for on his car.

With some modification it will likely fit with non-TRD exhaust but I think it does bolt to the TRD muffler that may be a different shape from the stock exhaust.

Thanks for the on topic responses. For my needs I think the TRD diffuser offers the best functionality per dollar. My FR-S is a daily driver that will see the track occasionally, and any diffuser I get will most likely bump uglies with the road/debris at some point since I live in CT. The main reason I'm choosing it over other options is because at $200, I won't have an aneurysm when it eventually gets banged up.

I realize that it's not as functional as some of the larger, more expensive diffusers out there, however it seems that the muffler is the biggest single source of drag under the car's rear end, and this diffuser looks like it will fix that problem more than adequately.

As for building one from scratch I've actually thought about it since I am an engineer who enjoys diy projects, however, I have a pretty limited understanding of fluid dynamics. I'm thinking about doing a diy expansion of the TRD diffuser by adding some extra aluminum paneling/fins, but I'd like to have a solidly built starting point/example to work off of, especially one that was R&D'd by Toyota.

I'll update this thread with some pics when it arrives as well as some more after I've done any modifications and gotten it installed.

Last edited by avishenoy1; 07-17-2015 at 12:30 PM.
avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avishenoy1 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-17-2015), swarb (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #21
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
LOL, thought I was on topic :-)
Old 07-18-2015, 03:08 AM   #22
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Lol, the attempts to sell one's products in here is amazing. should I be pimping my own stuff?

Dude. Run the Trd diffuser. It's 90% as good as the ones I make. Which are good enough for everyone else to try and play catch up, which are good enough to be on multiple race teams around the world.

It's really not rocket magic like people try to make it seem, don't buy into the marketing.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
swarb (07-18-2015), xkalelx (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #23
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol, the attempts to sell one's products in here is amazing. should I be pimping my own stuff?

Dude. Run the Trd diffuser. It's 90% as good as the ones I make. Which are good enough for everyone else to try and play catch up, which are good enough to be on multiple race teams around the world.

It's really not rocket magic like people try to make it seem, don't buy into the marketing.
Dude...stop being a jackass. Who is trying to sell their product? You make blanket statements that aren't just wrong, they are completely false. I also think he should run the TRD diffuser because it is more in his price range. Saying it is 90% as good is yours...where is your data to back up this statement or is it falsified like most of what you say? Who is playing catch up? Not us. We made our own diffuser which is better. You act like you invented the wheel by making a sheet metal diffuser. You didn't. We do not drag you through the mud, why do you do it to us?

This rocket magic crap is ridiculous. Aerodynamics is a sub category of fluid dynamics. Guess where most of the research came from? Rocketry and flight. A lot of development of mathematical methods for solving fluid flow came out of the space program which would be "rocket science". Just because you spent 20 hours reading online and threw some sheet metal together (that does actually work at making downforce) does not make you this aerodynamic master.

You claim what we do is just marketing. Fine, live in your ignorant bliss and believe what you want. However, you just say this because you cannot do proper aerodynamic analysis yourself and want to belittle us. The fact is, it is not marketing. We get meaningful data that we pass on to our customers so that they can make proper buying decisions. It is not our fault you cannot do the same.
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #24
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Such professional. Many applause.

I never claimed to be a master. But I do have about 20 years of personal experience actually building race cars, not just behind a computer. The 20 hours was a statement made for someone that wants to DIY all kinds of stuff.

Please quantify where I dragged YOU through the mud, and where I mentioned YOU anywhere. How many bumper trims are marketed as a diffuser? Rocket bunny anyone? Apr markets an entire cosmetic lip kit as an aero kit that will "greatly enhance the performance of your vehicle". That's all marketing. And please, keep up the good work.

I can fully disagree with your stance on how difficult aero is, as I obviously do. And will continue to do so. Ive learned some interesting things about you as people, and I've heard some interesting things from many people that know you. So, keep doing what you do, and have fun doing it. I will refrain from insulting you or making any attempts to embarrass you in hopes of some sales or clawing at legitimacy.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
sittinSideways (07-28-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #25
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I like the driveway lab diffuser. Just as functional as Velox but way cooler. I get tons of complements on mine but my buddy with his Velox has yet to have his diffuser noticed
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sittinSideways For This Useful Post:
Wonderbar (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
i love my driveway labs type2a <3