follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #211
chermo12

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If this is legit, I'm happy with the new BRZ refresh. Headlights, Bumpers, Tails, Wheels.
It's not radically changed from the previous and is still very recognizable as a BRZ. (+1 so it doesn't make mine look that much outdated lol)
Taking design queues from the STi Performance Concept seemed to be a safe move considering how much people loved it.

However, I do wish they just used this steering wheel if they had to include the wheel controls. (attached)
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #212
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
I'm liking the 1st gens more and more. Something about the original 86 & BRZ just seemed so much more pure to the enthusiast.

Now it seems both are beginning the mainstream journey.
They were never "pure" there was always compromise. The compromises will just increase the more they target a broader market. It is change or die for cars and although some will not like the change they are hoping that more will and they will sell more.
airjonny (03-21-2016), Summerwolf (03-21-2016), Train (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #213
hypebrz
IG: @HypeBRZ

Drives: Series.Hyperblue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
Any new BRZ owners who don't want steering wheel controls, I'd be happy to do a swap with you
If I pick up a new one, I will definitely take you up on that haha, the new steering wheel is horrible
hypebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hypebrz For This Useful Post:
Deathalo (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #214
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Agree with the black but the white appears to be the real deal. I can't imagine they added all the parts and then stuck the shipping protection back on them. Nor do I see them bothering to install and hook up the sensors for the door ajar indicators just for the show.
I disagree. If you're talking about shipping protection and door ajar indicator, you must be assuming that the interior shots are in the white car. Those shots clearly show a fog light switch on the stalk. The white car doesn't have fog lights. It looks like they installed a Premium 2017 front bumper on a Limited 2016 body and hadn't installed the badge yet.

And why would they ship a finished car without a badge? A replacement bumper wouldn't have a badge, since you'd just reuse your old badge or buy a new one as needed. That makes it look even more like they just shipped parts to go on a 2016 body.

Further, I doubt they had to hook up anything special for the door ajar indicator. The 2016's computer probably already has that information and just doesn't display it. All they had to do was plug in the new instrument cluster. I'd almost be willing to bet money that the new cluster is a direct swap into the old wiring harness.

I think that's a new 2016, and the protective plastic on the door is there just because it's a new car. That speaker surround on that side is the exact same JDM padded surround I have sitting in a box next to me to go on my car. Rather than installing parts and putting the protection back on, I think they just never had to take it off in the first place.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #215
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I disagree. If you're talking about shipping protection and door ajar indicator, you must be assuming that the interior shots are in the white car. Those shots clearly show a fog light switch on the stalk. The white car doesn't have fog lights. It looks like they installed a Premium 2017 front bumper on a Limited 2016 body and hadn't installed the badge yet.

And why would they ship a finished car without a badge? A replacement bumper wouldn't have a badge, since you'd just reuse your old badge or buy a new one as needed. That makes it look even more like they just shipped parts to go on a 2016 body.

Further, I doubt they had to hook up anything special for the door ajar indicator. The 2016's computer probably already has that information and just doesn't display it. All they had to do was plug in the new instrument cluster. I'd almost be willing to bet money that the new cluster is a direct swap into the old wiring harness.

I think that's a new 2016, and the protective plastic on the door is there just because it's a new car. That speaker surround on that side is the exact same JDM padded surround I have sitting in a box next to me to go on my car. Rather than installing parts and putting the protection back on, I think they just never had to take it off in the first place.

Good spotting I missed the fog switch and badge.
Not so sure about the door ajar but that is trivial anyway and could just operate off the switches.

You have convinced me.

2016 with 2017 parts on both (I never doubted the black was a 16)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #216
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If all that is true than the bumpers and such ARE a direct swap over. All this speculation, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-21-2016), Zaku (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #217
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
If all that is true than the bumpers and such ARE a direct swap over. All this speculation, lol.
I mean, they didn't even fix the terrible side marker design... You'd think they would change that, unless they were planning a direct fit on the older models. Most mid-cycle refreshes are direct fit on the existing platform to cut costs.

I will be ordering the new front bumper and headlights for my '13 as soon as they are available via Subaru parts. I'm sure there are a lot of others out there wanting to do the same, so we'll find out for sure if they fit soon enough.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #218
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Depending on the cost I could see myself also getting the bumper and headlights, maybe the tails too. Hmm, wonder what the steering wheel with all the buttons will cost and the head unit looks like it has some features I'd appreciate also.

Damn this is getting expensive. I think I'll just drive mine into the ground with my new road warrior job/business and replace it with the gen 2 in a few years.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #219
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I'm fairly confident the HyperBlue doesn't get the underbody panels. I could be wrong but you might want to double check on it. Also, it's worth noting that you shouldn't pay MSRP for these. I paid $27,350 for my Series.Blue, for example.
The HyperBlue does have the Underbody panels. I've been underneath mine.

Also if someone gets hit with MSRP at this point, I wouldn't blame them. There are only 15 left in the country. Someone would have to tell the dealership that they don't like the color or something to get a deal on it.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #220
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
You might be looking at the underbody panels that come with all USDM cars. All USDM cars have front underbody aero, and I believe one of the aero trays extending down the driver's side. The only BRZ to have come with the JDM style full underbody aero panels as of yet was the Series.Blue. I think the Scion RS 1.0 also had them, but that's pretty much it.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #221
j0307

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post

Also if someone gets hit with MSRP at this point, I wouldn't blame them. There are only 15 left in the country. Someone would have to tell the dealership that they don't like the color or something to get a deal on it.
If they said that the dealer would kindly direct them to another BRZ.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
j0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #222
nisti

Drives: BRZ & XV
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You might be looking at the underbody panels that come with all USDM cars. All USDM cars have front underbody aero, and I believe one of the aero trays extending down the driver's side. The only BRZ to have come with the JDM style full underbody aero panels as of yet was the Series.Blue. I think the Scion RS 1.0 also had them, but that's pretty much it.
Are these not the droids you're looking for?

Pretty sure those are the same panels as the Series.Blue
Old 03-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #223
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

One of the big things I kept seeing with the hyperblue was the underbody panels.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #224
hypebrz
IG: @HypeBRZ

Drives: Series.Hyperblue BRZ
Garage
I still prefer the first gen. Aside from the bumper (which is only a minor, but very effective change) I don't like any of the new upgrades. The CF trim doesn't look right, the info screen on the dash is a modern touch, but should've just been an entirely new cluster because they don't mix well, the steering wheel is awful and I never liked steering wheel controls anyway, and the boomerangs are FAR too bright. IMO DRL's should be an accent to headlights, not on par with them. Wheels are nice, but most people go aftermarket anyway. Tail lights don't look bad, but I don't think they're necessarily an upgrade or a downgrade over the original. 5 hp, pointless since most CAI's provide more or around that.

All just my opinion of course. I wouldn't trade up for it, but if I didn't ever own a BRZ, and was in the market for one, the refresh still is a beautiful car.
hypebrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
-20hp heavy body kit, 10/10 do want, 2017, better than the 86, facelift, more drag same hp, update, would bang (gears), zaku goes to ct