follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #211
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think I like it - I'm hoping the rear is a little more rounded off and not quite the standard corvette square butt.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #212
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,187 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I wasn’t really supporting the conclusion, just the premise, that they have had recently more sports vehicles than just the Camaro and Corvette. Toyota has been out of the performance game for much longer, and that is probably where he was going with his initial statement.
Yeah that's partially what I was going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
So, "let's not get into it", and just go with your definition?

Nah, let's get into it!

I like Camaros, I owned a Camaro. A Camaro is emphatically NOT a sports car. Too big, too heavy.

"Excellent power" is NOT a requisite feature for a sports car. Most of the sports cars that best define and represent the genre (to me!) have not had a lot of power. Sprites and Midgets, Miatas and Elises, these are sports cars. Muscle-bound 2-door sedans? Not to me...
Even a Corvette is *to me* more of an uberperforming supercar than a pure, minimalist, lightweight sports car.

But whatevs, to each his own. I'm sure many Mustang/Camaro and even Challenger owners like to think they have a sports car, so why not let them...
I'm not referring to any old Camaros. But I'd absolutely call the Alpha chassis Camaro a sports car (maybe not the 4 cylinder one, but all other coupe sub-models). Yes it's heavy, but unfortunately that's a reality of the times we live in. If you want to disqualify it on weight (V6's weight) then you're disqualifying a lot of other vehicles as well.

It's not like I'm over here saying the 4200 lb Challenger SRT8 is a sports car.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #213
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,213 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
There is a difference between "sporty" cars and a sports car. A lot of people consider the new breed of SUVs and crossovers as sporty cars or even sports cars. I don't.
IMO Sport Utility Vehicles originated with a Utility Vehicle you would strap all your sporty equipment into and onto to grind through the muck to get to the trailhead or riverside.
Once there, you get your Sport equipment out/off to subsequently break various bones.

Since it's got Sport in the name, a lot of people have conflated that into the idea that it should be sporty to drive as well. They run out and tell everyone "I've got a Sport UV! Whooooo!!!!"

They completely gloss over the Utility Vehicle part.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #214
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Did you own an Alpha Camaro though? I'm not talking about past Camaros, I'm talking about the current Camaro being made right now.

The Camaro is RWD, 2 doors, focuses on driver involvement, and handles better than cars twice its price. It's not very lightweight, but that's about it.
I have a great deal of respect for the new Camaros and Mustangs. My brother has a ZL1 and I love it. They have great speed and world class handling plus a lot of refinement.

Absolutely among the top GT cars on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
IMO Sport Utility Vehicles originated with a Utility Vehicle you would strap all your sporty equipment into and onto to grind through the muck to get to the trailhead or riverside.
Once there, you get your Sport equipment out/off to subsequently break various bones.

Since it's got Sport in the name, a lot of people have conflated that into the idea that it should be sporty to drive as well. They run out and tell everyone "I've got a Sport UV! Whooooo!!!!"

They completely gloss over the Utility Vehicle part.
Marketing plays a big part in that. People want to believe they own a sporty vehicle and the advertisers play on that. Case in point, check out the new ads for the Acura RDX and the Nissan Kicks.

Now, about that new Vette..................
funwheeldrive (09-06-2018), Tcoat (09-06-2018), ZDan (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #215
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course language evolves and so do the meanings of words. But there is and should be a distinction between what are FAST cars and what are SPORTS cars. If any fast car is a sports car, we don't need the term at all.

Regarding what the term means now, Wikipedia seems like a reasonable place to go.

A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, pony cars and hot hatches, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars.
Did you just add that to Wikipedia?

Old 09-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #216
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I have a great deal of respect for the new Camaros and Mustangs. My brother has a ZL1 and I love it. They have great speed and world class handling plus a lot of refinement.

Absolutely among the top GT cars on the planet.

Marketing plays a big part in that. People want to believe they own a sporty vehicle and the advertisers play on that. Case in point, check out the new ads for the Acura RDX and the Nissan Kicks.

Now, about that new Vette..................
We currently have a radio commercial by Toyota playing on a regular basis.
The first time I heard it I thought I knew where it was headed. I was grossly mistaken.

In a sexy female voice is it says (roughly):
"We all like sports in our lives so why drive something boring. * engine reving noises... A sports car can be fun as well as practical. Be it on the open highway, a winding road or even around town everybody can enjoy the freedom and exhilaration of a sports car. *Tires squealing noises... Come in and see the whole new Camry line up today and get some fun back in your drive"

I SHIT YOU NOT they say "come see the Camry lineup" for your sports car needs! A bloody Camry.
Dadhawk (10-16-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #217
KFTH86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The first time I heard it I thought I knew where it was headed. I was grossly mistaken.

"We all like sports in our lives so why drive something boring. * engine reving noises... A sports car can be fun as well as practical. Be it on the open highway, a winding road or even around town everybody can enjoy the freedom and exhilaration of a sports car. *Tires squealing noises... Come in and see the whole new Camry line up today and get some fun back in your drive"

I SHIT YOU NOT they say "come see the Camry lineup" for your sports car needs! A bloody Camry.

KFTH86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KFTH86 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (09-06-2018), PuslarBrrrz (10-14-2018), Rampage (09-06-2018), Tcoat (09-06-2018), WolfpackS2k (09-12-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #218
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Did you own an Alpha Camaro though? I'm not talking about past Camaros, I'm talking about the current Camaro being made right now.
No, mine was 250 lb. lighter and on a 9" shorter wheelbase vs. the current one.

Quote:
The Camaro is RWD, 2 doors, focuses on driver involvement, and handles better than cars twice its price. It's not very lightweight, but that's about it.
Bingo. It's also a bit on the large side... It's too big and too heavy for *me* to consider it a sports car. It is what it is, a 2-door version of a luxury sedan, with fantastic levels of performance available in some models.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (10-16-2018), mn_ca (09-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #219
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
No, mine was 250 lb. lighter and on a 9" shorter wheelbase vs. the current one.

Bingo. It's also a bit on the large side... It's too big and too heavy for *me* to consider it a sports car. It is what it is, a 2-door version of a luxury sedan, with fantastic levels of performance available in some models.
Seems like your personal definition would exclude many supercars and hypercars as sports cars. It also seems that a model is excluded from being a sports car as long as it comes in less equipped levels.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #220
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I'm not referring to any old Camaros.
For 20 years the car in V8 form was 3300-3400 lb. on a 101" wheelbase, vs. current Alpha at 3750 lb. on a 110" wheelbase. And it's not like those cars didn't handle well relative to the era, one year in the 80s Car and Driver proclaimed the Z28 the best-handling American car over the Corvette...

Quote:
It's not like I'm over here saying the 4200 lb Challenger SRT8 is a sports car.
Camaro SS, Challenger SRT8, and Miata. Would you say that the Camaro belongs in the same class as the Challenger (which is only 12% heavier) or the Miata?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #221
ZDan

Quote:
Did you just add that to Wikipedia?
Kidding? Of course not, I legit went to Wikipedia to see for myself what the current entry was. I didn't add these lines in either:
A sports car, or sportscar, is a small, usually two-seater automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.
Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious, but high maneuverability and light weight are requisite.

Quote:
Seems like your personal definition would exclude many supercars and hypercars as sports cars. It also seems that a model is excluded from being a sports car as long as it comes in less equipped levels.
For *me*, "sports car" implies something more elemental and simple than a supercar or hypercar. When cars sacrifice lightness and simplicity in the name of megaperformance, for me they're moving into supercar territory. But there's a vast grey area in there...

Whether a car comes in a less-equipped model has nothing to do with it, I didn't mean to imply that at all. The fact that there are lesser-performing Camaros doesn't make it any more or less a "sports car" to me. If we get the new Supra in 4-cylinder form, that lesser-performing version will likely be *more* of a "sports car" to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-07-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #222
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post

As for my original remark about decades, I'm just amused by how the mid-engine Corvette has been shown in some form or another, probably longer than I've been alive - and yet I don't see the same criticism as I do with the (admittedly long) Supra reveal. Although @Dadhawk has a point that we haven't been inundated with camo pics of the Corvette like we have for the Supra*

*Yet.

Its kind of hard to criticize when GM is bringing out new Corvette trims and entirely new Corvette models very regularly, and has consistently offered something for sale every year. They may not have delivered a mid engine one yet but they deliver something new time and time again, as opposed to Honda and Toyota that had nothing but teasers for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

This isn't the first time either. Remember that "grounded to the ground" drivel that they were running for the Camry about 10 years back?
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-16-2018), Tcoat (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #223
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Fair point.
If the latest Jalopnik article/interview of Tada is correct, Toyota initially planned a Supra successor as early as 1997, but then canned it to chase their goal of being the #1 volume automaker.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #224
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Jaden (10-15-2018), Leonardo (10-16-2018), Rampage (10-14-2018), SuperTom (10-14-2018), Yardjass (10-15-2018)