follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #2073
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
rusty, I read the entire thread but it appears to me all the discussion has been about stomping on the peddle and how that feels. I'm talking about the middle ground. Maybe they have intended to address this point, but I didn't read it that way.

Just search through the posts of people you know using it, you will see what I mean.
The ESC's "middle ground" for my driving experience is the power delivery in 4th and 5th gears at around 2,500 RPM. This is the area where the engine struggles and the driver is left downshifting to avoid the torque valley in certain situation like passing a minivan on the freeway. Today at 2,500 RPM in gears 4-5 I had to retain my thinking about downshifting. Instead I leave the car in gear and engage the unit to give me the extra power between 2,500 and 6,000 RPMs. In 4th or 5th gears once the unit is engage and before I know it the car jumps from 55 to 90 mph in no time. My biggest concern at the moment is doing this and getting a ticket, because the delivery of the additional power is so smooth with a tune.
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #2074
MikeW

Drives: 2013 BRZ | 2013 WRX | 1991 318i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gary, I guess I spend more time being static in the 4k to 5k rpm range than most. In many of my NA cars I have driven it is from this area that you get good pull with best response, while still allowing room to enjoy the experience before redline. In the WRX this rpm level also has an almost immediate response in many situations so that I don't have to contend with the pause and kick factor. So I'm not sure I would personally agree with your statement that its limited to hill climbs, although I don't know what other examples you might have in mind. In my case I just enjoy this area, and seem to gravitate to it when I'm amusing myself during the DD. I don't track much or autox etc., so can't speak to those situations too well. I'm planning to track the BRZ once I stop obsessing about mods...
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #2075
MikeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
The ESC's "middle ground" for my driving experience is the power delivery in 4th and 5th gears at around 2,500 RPM. This is the area where the engine struggles and the driver is left downshifting to avoid the torque valley in certain situation like passing a minivan on the freeway. Today at 2,500 RPM in gears 4-5 I had to retain my thinking about downshifting. Instead I leave the car in gear and engage the unit to give me the extra power between 2,500 and 6,000 RPMs. In 4th or 5th gears once the unit is engage and before I know it the car jumps from 55 to 90 mph in no time. My biggest concern at the moment is doing this and getting a ticket, because the delivery of the additional power is so smooth with a tune.
Very cool, I'm dying to try it to be honest. Unfortunately, I think 1500 is probably already too pricey for this type of system. It's going to have some major limitation given the static nature of the delivery, and I don't think it will be physically possible for it to be as efficient as traditional FI systems. Thus, my super ego will defeat the id which is dying to just try it for fun!!

edit: I'm probably full of shit, if this thing was for sale in its current state I probably would have it in my car with full knowledge it was temporary. Hell, it may be one of those things people buy, play with, and then resell to the next noob. It could be a great way of experiencing FI on a new car, which could help one make a better decision about a permanent FI system.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #2076
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Gary, I guess I spend more time being static in the 4k to 5k rpm range than most. In many of my NA cars I have driven it is from this area that you get good pull with best response, while still allowing room to enjoy the experience before redline. In the WRX this rpm level also has an almost immediate response in many situations so that I don't have to contend with the pause and kick factor. So I'm not sure I would personally agree with your statement that its limited to hill climbs, although I don't know what other examples you might have in mind. In my case I just enjoy this area, and seem to gravitate to it when I'm amusing myself during the DD. I don't track much or autox etc., so can't speak to those situations too well. I'm planning to track the BRZ once I stop obsessing about mods...
I have mine set at 90% throttle for activation, based on reading your post we have similar driving styles, I love the 4-5k range and live there often, I often will coast there and mash coming off a exit or what not and its smooth, like Fenton said the torque at that point has fallen off a bit but we gotta keep in mind that again this compressor is not making more that 4.5PSI especially at that rev range. If you have any experiences with Honda's best way to describe it is like having VTEC on a switch, the engine is starving for air and you mash it, and the engine just breaths and climbs nicely rather than viscously.

if you would like set some points you would like covered and I will make a video reply to best show you. ( it will take time to do this )
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #2077
MikeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
huh, for my driving style (19 mpg in my WRX city) this could pay for itself since I would not have to reside in a zone that is burning more fuel than needed...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #2078
MikeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu-Tang View Post
I have mine set at 90% throttle for activation, based on reading your post we have similar driving styles, I love the 4-5k range and live there often, I often will coast there and mash coming off a exit or what not and its smooth, like Fenton said the torque at that point has fallen off a bit but we gotta keep in mind that again this compressor is not making more that 4.5PSI especially at that rev range. If you have any experiences with Honda's best way to describe it is like having VTEC on a switch, the engine is starving for air and you mash it, and the engine just breaths and climbs nicely rather than viscously.

if you would like set some points you would like covered and I will make a video reply to best show you. ( it will take time to do this )
One other reason I like this zone is that while in traffic you can use the engine to slow down just by lifting your foot, with no need to downshift. This does not put a plus in the ESC column necessarily, but sounds like it performs fine from the 4.5k zone too so you have the best of both worlds (the other world being a mash at 2500).
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #2079
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Gary, I guess I spend more time being static in the 4k to 5k rpm range than most. In many of my NA cars I have driven it is from this area that you get good pull with best response, while still allowing room to enjoy the experience before redline. .
I will show how this area is in my video. The pull is still very good and smooth as you will see. Stay tuned.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #2080
MikeW

Bu, I think some side by side comparisons with a stock frs/brz would be interesting in the following situations:

1. 2nd gear, 4.5k, static and then mash
2. 3rd gear, 4.5k, static and then mash
3. 4th gear, 4.5k static and then mash

Then repeat the three cases above from a static 5.5k.

Actually, I think we will get the point after the first few but who knows. If you can find a supercharged car to do the same comparison with that would be even more interesting.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #2081
MikeW

I can be the NA car but don't think anyone is down this way with ESC. We could also compare it to my WRX, and if you really want to feel good to my 1991 318i...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #2082
fenton

Here is a headerback FRS(stage 1 exutek) against a ESC frs(untuned)

First race is 3500rpm 2nd gear.

Second is 3000rpm 3rd gear.

This was a long time ago though and with a tune this thing is way stronger down low and up high.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeS1UffqyoU"]2 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #2083
Bu-Tang

Yea I dont think ill have a second FRS to compare to, best I could do if Fentons got time is to pit against him with my charger removed.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #2084
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
I really want to see what the aggressive drag reduction does to the torque dip with the primary system not activated. and yes I am fully aware I've basically been a pest asking for this. I don't care. Now that the DR is "aggressive" I want to see this dyno even more.
Unless it was done and I just can't find it in the wealth of information on the first page.
A dyno run wont show the effects of drag reduction. Dyno's are run at WOT.

Here's how much I like the power delivery as is. Yesterday Rob offered to provide me with a more aggressive DR profile. "Just send me your controller and I'll update it". No way. I will not part with the ESC for a week. As much as I want the benefits of DR, I wont drive my car without an ESC. It's like asking a superhero to give up his power Heck, I drove without any DR for a full week before I was instructed to hook it up.

I'll send in my controller when I park the BRZ for winter. Any and all updates can wait. This car is too much fun to drive.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #2085
Bu-Tang

I pretty much have no DR on mine, it doesn't kick in till like 6k which if I'm at 6k in WOT. I have yet to experience the DR line fenton has

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #2086
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
A dyno run wont show the effects of drag reduction. Dyno's are run at WOT.
A Dyno run will show it if you move the WOT activation switch out of the way.

I will try and get one next time we are at the dyno. Sometimes time is limited and i would rather perfect the tune that actually matters.

To my but dyno, DR matches stock performance, if not a little bit more while it pulses above Atmospheric. Its not going to be huge though, think 5 to 10 tq.

Trust me @mid_life_crisis i have heard you loud and clear just haven't been back to the dyno with a DR capable controller yet.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive