follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #155
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
No one said anything about it running constantly: there is no perpetual motion here. It uses stored electricity to make brief bursts of power then replenishes that stored electricity in between uses of the device.
Turbos and belt driven blowers are not 100% efficient either. Does that mean no one should use one of those?

Go back and re read what i posted that was quoted that I responded to,

Im not your second grade teacher your reading comprehension is not my issue, I didn't say any of the things you just ASSumed, I simply was stating why I wanted to see the dyno graphs and clarifying MY background on this matter,

So now that you have taken this out of context and are on the defensive, tell me what part of what I said was wrong and please highlight where I discouraged any use of this product...
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #156
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I was just waiting for your call, i'm not sure today will work i'm off at 3.

Assuming i would have to take Ecutek off if we tune with BRZ edit?
I would call EcuTek or Visconti and clarify how that works. If you flash to stock, one would Ass-U-Me your license would be 'released' and ok to use again in the future, and then I can tune it with BRZ Edit.

Worst case, I'll buy EcuTek, it's not THAT bad, I think it was $2000 ish they quoted me, just saw it as a "mail order option" since they force you to buy a programmer with every car you tune, and most my customers, once i tune them on site, they have no need for their own programmer with most other platforms.

Your call. I'd be happy to try it as long as you are not out the money for the tool.

Either way, worst case, we can throw it on the dyno and see what it's currently doing and putting down.
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #157
SkullWorks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
We're talking apples and oranges.

Apples = storage of electric energy

Oranges = release of electric energy in order to let us burn more fuel for energy.

No we aren't and all you did was take 1/3rd of my statement out of context...

if turbos put out more energy than it took to run them we wouldn't be paying for electricity and you would only need gas to start your cars...
Old 06-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #158
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
No we aren't and all you did was take 1/3rd of my statement out of context...

if turbos put out more energy than it took to run them we wouldn't be paying for electricity and you would only need gas to start your cars...
Turbos really don't put out any useable energy. They make it possible for the engine to burn more fuel. Taking 0.01 calorie of food and turning that into the muscle energy needed to strike a match to light the fuse on the bomb does not mean the energy the bomb releases is 0.01 calorie or less, they are two different energy sources, and can not be compared as such.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #159
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Go back and re read what i posted that was quoted that I responded to,

Im not your second grade teacher your reading comprehension is not my issue, I didn't say any of the things you just ASSumed, I simply was stating why I wanted to see the dyno graphs and clarifying MY background on this matter,

So now that you have taken this out of context and are on the defensive, tell me what part of what I said was wrong and please highlight where I discouraged any use of this product...
You need to go back and reread your own posts. You have made multiple posts that would lead any reasonable person to believe that you are of the opinion that this concept is not viable. The fact that you also state that you hope someone pulls it off (in essence stating that you hope you are wrong) doesn't change the fact that you are clearly discouraging people from believing this idea will ever fly. I took nothing out of context. You established a pattern over multiple posts. I simply selected the most blatantly flawed statement to quote.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #160
SkullWorks
Banned

Quote:
Turbos really don't put out any useable energy. They make it possible for the engine to burn more fuel. Taking 0.01 calorie of food and turning that into the muscle energy needed to strike a match to light the fuse on the bomb does not mean the energy the bomb releases is 0.01 calorie or less, they are two different energy sources, and can not be compared as such.
Thanks for playing please explain now then why the OEM's haven't been using this technology since day 1 and we are just now seeing BMW adopt the potential of motor driven impeller shafts on turbos...for lower boost threshold and wastegate elimination.

now besides the fact that you didn't understand my 1st post, and are hell bent on making yourself look smart...are you going to bring this back around to the topic at hand or should I just ignore your misguided attempts to skew my view point further?

I wish there were a reading comprehension test required to sign up for the forums...a big part of reading comprehension comes in tying the whole of a statement together. So much gets taken out of context, you can't actually argue with anything I said, because it is all correct, I'm sorry it disagrees with what you want me to have said but get over it unless you have a valid point to make. I never even said this was a bad idea, quite the contrary...but you seem to be fixated on disproving common truths about energy and energy transfers.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #161
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
You guys are all essentially on the same page. I was SUPER skeptical before I tested the Golf, especially since I was expecting some monster electric motor.

This is not free energy of course, but energy that is generated during a normal "stop and go" drive cycle, stored in batteries, then released on demand.

They even experimented with different batteries, Lithium etc, and settled on the "small" AGM's. I cant remember what he said, but the batteries were very happy all the way down as we depleted them to ~21 volts over the course of many runs, with an actual very slight increase in boost as they did. I *think* recharge only took 5 minutes or so of idle time.

If this thing can make 5 psi on the hit, I guarantee Nothing else except nitrous will offer the kind of bottom end hit this thing will provide. If they can size it to maintain 2.5 to 3 psi on the top, it will outperform other forced induction set-ups at probably 4-5 psi since there are no drive losses (does not charge at WOT).

This kit, if all pans out will be great for the stop light bandit, or weekend warrior. Not suited for a 2 hour mostly wot enduro type race, or races where you need increased part throttle power.
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toma For This Useful Post:
fenton (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #162
SloS14

Quote:
Thanks for playing please explain now then why the OEM's haven't been using this technology since day 1 and we are just now seeing BMW adopt the potential of motor driven impeller shafts on turbos...for lower boost threshold and wastegate elimination.

now besides the fact that you didn't understand my 1st post, and are hell bent on making yourself look smart...are you going to bring this back around to the topic at hand or should I just ignore your misguided attempts to skew my view point further?

I wish there were a reading comprehension test required to sign up for the forums...a big part of reading comprehension comes in tying the whole of a statement together. So much gets taken out of context, you can't actually argue with anything I said, because it is all correct, I'm sorry it disagrees with what you want me to have said but get over it unless you have a valid point to make. I never even said this was a bad idea, quite the contrary...but you seem to be fixated on disproving common truths about energy and energy transfers.

Why are you being rude? I apologize if I misunderstood something you wrote. No need to resort to insults

Last edited by SloS14; 06-27-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #163
SkullWorks
Banned

Quote:
You need to go back and reread your own posts. You have made multiple posts that would lead any reasonable person to believe that you are of the opinion that this concept is not viable. The fact that you also state that you hope someone pulls it off (in essence stating that you hope you are wrong) doesn't change the fact that you are clearly discouraging people from believing this idea will ever fly. I took nothing out of context. You established a pattern over multiple posts. I simply selected the most blatantly flawed statement to quote.

see above statement,

you are trying to read between the lines and you can't even read the text on the page,

It is clearly a viable idea. I even expressed that I had spent time mulling over the potential losses of a similar setup for sometime now (not with the interest of development simply for experimentation...and fun) It's cute that you want me to not want this to work. but if you have been around for any amount of time you would understand where I'm coming from. essentially similar products (albeit without any decent hardware such as we have here) have popped up every couple of years, and have all been scams/lies/or too heavy and battery dependent to make up for their own losses.

like all things there are more ways to get it wrong than right, I would like to see someone finally get it right, you could potentially use something like this to even fill in the lag from a turbo, reducing the pressure after the compressor will bring a turbo up to speed quicker since it works on pressure ratios.

Am I skeptical? ofcourse, if you aren't...all of your lights aren't on...but as i stated (which you misread entirely and ignorantly) I hope this works.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #164
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
I would call EcuTek or Visconti and clarify how that works. If you flash to stock, one would Ass-U-Me your license would be 'released' and ok to use again in the future, and then I can tune it with BRZ Edit.

Worst case, I'll buy EcuTek, it's not THAT bad, I think it was $2000 ish they quoted me, just saw it as a "mail order option" since they force you to buy a programmer with every car you tune, and most my customers, once i tune them on site, they have no need for their own programmer with most other platforms.

Your call. I'd be happy to try it as long as you are not out the money for the tool.

Either way, worst case, we can throw it on the dyno and see what it's currently doing and putting down.
Ecutek has alot of good qualities. Each person that you tune needs a license and tune, if they want to purchase the cable after that its up to them.

The 2000 bucks you pay as the tuner and that lets you build your own maps.

I have the cable already, apparently all i have to do is flash the stock tune then you are good to go with brz edit.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #165
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #166
SkullWorks
Banned

Quote:
Why are you being rude? I apologize if I misunderstood something you wrote. No need to resort to insults.
because there seem to be a surplus of people like yourself that want to assume what I meant to say instead of reading what I actually said.

I have a very strong command of the english language and have little issue making my point clear. I don't need people coming in and trying to tell the world what I meant to say, or taking my thoughts out of context, I came in here hoping to have good technical conversation with like minded people, not have to explain the basics of electricity and ICE to people that wrote me off as a hater before they finished reading my statement (which was a response to a previous misinterpretation of my statements.)

besides that I'm an asshole, I see no need to offer courtesies to people who offer me none and take the liberty to misrepresent my statements.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #167
SloS14

Edit: not arguing with you anymore, back to topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #168
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
see above statement,

you are trying to read between the lines and you can't even read the text on the page,

It is clearly a viable idea. I even expressed that I had spent time mulling over the potential losses of a similar setup for sometime now (not with the interest of development simply for experimentation...and fun) It's cute that you want me to not want this to work. but if you have been around for any amount of time you would understand where I'm coming from. essentially similar products (albeit without any decent hardware such as we have here) have popped up every couple of years, and have all been scams/lies/or too heavy and battery dependent to make up for their own losses.

like all things there are more ways to get it wrong than right, I would like to see someone finally get it right, you could potentially use something like this to even fill in the lag from a turbo, reducing the pressure after the compressor will bring a turbo up to speed quicker since it works on pressure ratios.

Am I skeptical? ofcourse, if you aren't...all of your lights aren't on...but as i stated (which you misread entirely and ignorantly) I hope this works.
...and I can't read the text on the page? I'm done. You've got sand in your panties now and this is only going to get worse from here on out.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive