follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #141
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
You guys should wait for the 2017 model if you can. That is when they are really going to make some changes.
Yea I reall think 2017 will see some big improvements
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #142
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
You guys should wait for the 2017 model if you can. That is when they are really going to make some changes.
Man who chases two rabbits, catches neither.

Unless you're financially unable to, there's no reason to keep waiting the next model. If you're so concerned about what the next model will have then lease. That way you can have a twin to drive but won't have to worry about what to do if the next model is better.
raven1231 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #143
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
Hey Rabbits are one of the things we probably can catch!

Last edited by Tcoat; 05-21-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Katapaltes (05-22-2015), kch (05-21-2015), rlpaul (05-21-2015), Stang70Fastback (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #144
Tcoat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Tony View Post
Yea I reall think 2017 will see some big improvements
Even if there are changes there is certainly no guarantee they will be good ones!
How many times have they "improved" on a car only to result in a a WTF situation?
Ponwh (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #145
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post

Unless you're financially unable to, there's no reason to keep waiting the next model. If you're so concerned about what the next model will have then lease. That way you can have a twin to drive but won't have to worry about what to do if the next model is better.
You act like a refreshed FRS is some elusive creature. It is an inevitability. There are plenty of reasons to wait for the next model, including increased performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Even if there are changes there is certainly no guarantee they will be good ones!
How many times have they "improved" on a car only to result in a a WTF situation?
I can't think of too many performance cars that have been worse with a refresh. Maybe the exterior might not be as desirable, but I don't think Toyota would take a step backwards with performance. Either way it should be easy to find a MY16 for cheap.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #146
Tcoat

Quote:
I can't think of too many performance cars that have been worse with a refresh. Maybe the exterior might not be as desirable, but I don't think Toyota would take a step backwards with performance. Either way it should be easy to find a MY16 for cheap.
There are several that were "refreshed" right out of existence.
You of course could be correct as well though and the 17s could be perfect. The point is, at what point do you stop waiting for the next best?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #147
poptart

Drives: 2000 Corvette
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If they refresh it next year, I'd expect a performance bump, but nothing crazy like a supercharger. But who knows if the twins will even get a refresh ? I think it's uncertain.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #148
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
RX8
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #149
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
If they refresh it next year, I'd expect a performance bump, but nothing crazy like a supercharger. But who knows if the twins will even get a refresh ? I think it's uncertain.
Toyota/Subaru has officially stated that there will be refresh sometime in the future but were very vague about when that sometime will be.
WARNING SPECULATION ALERT:
Based upon what we have seen and the extremely small amount of official statements made there could be a slight increase in power yes. This could also be negated by the tighter emission control requirements expected next year though. Can pretty much rule out any form of FI as they have been very clear that they do not want to go in that direction with this car. If the new version released in the JDM is any indication we will probably see a toned down body style that is intended to appeal to a wider demographic then the first version was. The changes to broaden the market could also include a suspension that leans closer to under steer and more "luxury" items which of course add weight and complexity.
They have a few concepts out there and have stated that they might, just maybe, possibly, at some point add a model both above and below the 86. Unfortunately they have said little to nothing on those models since debuting the concepts so who knows if they are even still in the works. If they do indeed release these other models then I would think the 86 will remain pretty much as it is to fill it's current spot in the hierarchy. If they do not then there could be some substantial changes in the next few years.
Decay107 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #150
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
RX8
I don't know much about the RX8, but I thought they made it handle better and made it more reliable with the newer models?

Quote:
Toyota/Subaru has officially stated that there will be refresh sometime in the future but were very vague about when that sometime will be.
WARNING SPECULATION ALERT:
Based upon what we have seen and the extremely small amount of official statements made there could be a slight increase in power yes. This could also be negated by the tighter emission control requirements expected next year though. Can pretty much rule out any form of FI as they have been very clear that they do not want to go in that direction with this car. If the new version released in the JDM is any indication we will probably see a toned down body style that is intended to appeal to a wider demographic then the first version was. The changes to broaden the market could also include a suspension that leans closer to under steer and more "luxury" items which of course add weight and complexity.
They have a few concepts out there and have stated that they might, just maybe, possibly, at some point add a model both above and below the 86. Unfortunately they have said little to nothing on those models since debuting the concepts so who knows if they are even still in the works. If they do indeed release these other models then I would think the 86 will remain pretty much as it is to fill it's current spot in the hierarchy. If they do not then there could be some substantial changes in the next few years.
While it's not official, the MY17 has pretty much been confirmed for the refresh. There are already Toyota reps giving confidential information about the changes to certain employees.

I doubt any additional options would add too much to weight. The difference between a base FRS and a Limited BRZ is less than 20 pounds.

In the end, we can only speculate at the changes, but if I was thinking about buying a new FRS right now I would wait to see what changes occur before pulling the trigger on a MY16. Obviously some people can't wait though which is fine. The FRS is a great car as it is.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #151
Tcoat

Quote:
In the end, we can only speculate at the changes, but if I was thinking about buying a new FRS right now I would wait to see what changes occur before pulling the trigger on a MY16. Obviously some people can't wait though which is fine. The FRS is a great car as it is.
Great! People will wait and we are going to have to look at 100 threads linking to click bait blogs screaming "86 Sales Plummet Toyota to Drop the Unpopular Car in 2017".
Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #152
NemesisPrime909

Quote:
I don't know much about the RX8, but I thought they made it handle better and made it more reliable with the newer models?

While it's not official, the MY17 has pretty much been confirmed for the refresh. There are already Toyota reps giving confidential information about the changes to certain employees.

I doubt any additional options would add too much to weight. The difference between a base FRS and a Limited BRZ is less than 20 pounds.

source?
Old 05-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #153
NemesisPrime909

Quote:
Hey Rabbits are one of the things we probably can catch!

oddly enough those are getting rarer these days.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #154
NemesisPrime909

Quote:
You act like a refreshed FRS is some elusive creature. It is an inevitability. There are plenty of reasons to wait for the next model, including increased performance.

I think you missed my point.

What I was trying to say is if people really wanted the car but were holding off for the as of now "mythical" power increase they could just lease the car, enjoy it so when/if the new model shows up they can upgrade whenever the lease is up. and they can build credit while they're at it.

I was merely saying enjoy the car, that's what it's there for.

We only have so much time on this Earth so why not try to make the most out of it?