follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Heel Toe around town?
ALWAYS RACECAR 97 35.79%
Sometimes, for fun 78 28.78%
Almost never/don't know/don't care for it 78 28.78%
Drive an Auto 18 6.64%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #141
Bullnettles

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavash View Post
Does anyone else who does heel and toe wish the pedals were slightly closer together ? Like maybe on a BMW ?
Mine are good unless I'm bare-foot, then I have to properly heel-toe instead of using the sides of my feet. Then again, I have big-ass hobbit feet, so YMMV.
Bullnettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #142
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
No what happens is people like you want to step in and make definitive statements contradictory to logic, then you get butthurt and spend 3 days trying to back pedal out of a misinformed statement, your responses to other people pointing out your flaws in an attempt to disprove the logic i presented you prove you are not well versed enough in what is going on to discuss this topic.

if you understood the difference in decelerating the engine vs decelerating the car (with clutch slip) to match rev's we might be able to get you to understand the difference between upshifting and downshifting. However from here it is apparent I (we) should simply avoid responding to you in technical discussions. Or perhaps you shouldn't shoot from the hip while armchair engineering things you simply don't understand???
i think that whats happening is people are taking obscure things i say in reference to a single point and applying it to the whole argument. im sure that out of context a lot of things sound strange. im perfectly fine with you thinking im stupid. it doesnt bother me at all but bear in mind, an error in communications isnt always the listeners fault.

if i could sum up the points i was trying to make it would sound like this: saying heel toe is important because you need to be in the right gear is a poor argument. you dont need to heel toe to be in the right gear. also because the term right gear is ambiguous enough to make any statement predicated on the term useless. saying heel toe is important because of clutch wear is a poor argument because the clutch wear from a downshift in normal driving (what this thread was originally about) is insignificant. i would guess that on this forum there are more broken motors than broken clutches so if you are worried about a $500 dollar consumable, you are in the wrong car.

with all that said and done, ill heel toe when i find it conducive to the style of driving i am engaged in. i drive a 90whp miata most of the time so i am used to needing 5k rpms to simply move. if i can get by with out a heel toe and am still on the original clutch after 120k miles without feeling the need for it, i dont see the importance of it for regular driving. its simply a luxury.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #143
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i think that whats happening is people are taking obscure things i say in reference to a single point and applying it to the whole argument. im sure that out of context a lot of things sound strange. im perfectly fine with you thinking im stupid. it doesnt bother me at all but bear in mind, an error in communications isnt always the listeners fault.

if i could sum up the points i was trying to make it would sound like this: saying heel toe is important because you need to be in the right gear is a poor argument. you dont need to heel toe to be in the right gear. also because the term right gear is ambiguous enough to make any statement predicated on the term useless. saying heel toe is important because of clutch wear is a poor argument because the clutch wear from a downshift in normal driving (what this thread was originally about) is insignificant. i would guess that on this forum there are more broken motors than broken clutches so if you are worried about a $500 dollar consumable, you are in the wrong car.

with all that said and done, ill heel toe when i find it conducive to the style of driving i am engaged in. i drive a 90whp miata most of the time so i am used to needing 5k rpms to simply move. if i can get by with out a heel toe and am still on the original clutch after 120k miles without feeling the need for it, i dont see the importance of it for regular driving. its simply a luxury.

Are you now satisfied with where you have back pedaled to? or would you like to continue? you still don't understand any of the counter points to your failed logic and no one here is getting any clarification from your nonsense.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #144
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavash View Post
Does anyone else who does heel and toe wish the pedals were slightly closer together ? Like maybe on a BMW ?
The1M has the perfect pedal placement for heel and toe... the M3 on the other hand... does not... the gas pedal is way to low compared to the brake pedal making heel toe somewhat hard... especially with the low travelling brake pedal...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #145
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
Are you now satisfied with where you have back pedaled to? or would you like to continue? you still don't understand any of the counter points to your failed logic and no one here is getting any clarification from your nonsense.
im not back pedaling and i understand what youre saying.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #146
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
i would guess that on this forum there are more broken motors than broken clutches so if you are worried about a $500 dollar consumable, you are in the wrong car.
That is not a valid argument. Clutches are consumables that are expected to be replaced at some point during ownership, and engines aren't. And because of that, people are more likely going to post about an engine failure more so than needing to replace their clutch.

Worrying about a "$500 consumable" doesn't mean that you "are in the wrong car," it just means that money doesn't grow on trees. Some people worry about gas prices increasing by 10 cents, even though realistically their lives are affected minimally. But it doesn't mean that they need to ride a bicycle.

There's nothing wrong with doing what you can to delay the need to replace a wear-and-tear item. Otherwise, you might as well not rotate your tires and just do burnouts and drifts on your way to work everyday, if $500 consumables aren't a concern.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #147
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
That is not a valid argument. Clutches are consumables that are expected to be replaced at some point during ownership, and engines aren't. And because of that, people are more likely going to post about an engine failure more so than needing to replace their clutch.

Worrying about a "$500 consumable" doesn't mean that you "are in the wrong car," it just means that money doesn't grow on trees. Some people worry about gas prices increasing by 10 cents, even though realistically their lives are affected minimally. But it doesn't mean that they need to ride a bicycle.

There's nothing wrong with doing what you can to delay the need to replace a wear-and-tear item. Otherwise, you might as well not rotate your tires and just do burnouts and drifts on your way to work everyday, if $500 consumables aren't a concern.
im not saying it isnt a concern. im just saying that the cost of replacing a clutch isnt a strong enough reason to heel toe. its not even that its $500. clutches wear and im not really sure that not using the heel toe method will save any measurable clutch life. maybe ten percent so youre maybe looking at replacing the clutch months earlier saving $50 worth of use. i dont think using the clutch wear is a valid argument either way.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #148
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
But you don't benefit or give anything up by heel-toeing, rev-matching or any of that. At least with tire usage or fuel consumption, you might speed up the process by doing something fun, like competitive driving. It's not like avoiding those driving techniques enhances driving experience in any way.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #149
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
But you don't benefit or give anything up by heel-toeing, rev-matching or any of that. At least with tire usage or fuel consumption, you might speed up the process by doing something fun, like competitive driving. It's not like avoiding those driving techniques enhances driving experience in any way.
i agree with that. ive only been saying that it isnt needed which was an argument three pages or so when this mess started.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #150
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
im not saying it isnt a concern. im just saying that the cost of replacing a clutch isnt a strong enough reason to heel toe. its not even that its $500. clutches wear and im not really sure that not using the heel toe method will save any measurable clutch life. maybe ten percent so youre maybe looking at replacing the clutch months earlier saving $50 worth of use. i dont think using the clutch wear is a valid argument either way.

Anyone notice how light this clutch is? The pressure plate is weak, it will be the first thing to wear out assuming responsible manual tranny driving whether one heel/toes or not.
So I'm not convinced that heel/toe and rev match are going to wear the clutch quicker over 100k+ miles, the pressure plate is good for x number of clutch pedal depresses...

But as far as those saying heel/toe is some kind of requirement for safety/control of vehicle: This car goes to nearly 57 mph in 2nd gear just throw her in 2nd when cornering, no fancy footwork required.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #151
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Always Racecar!

Heel+toe and left foot brake (when applicable) everywhere and always. Is it pointless? yes... Do I care? no.

If I was a rational driver I would be driving a more reasonable car.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #152
Rejor11

Drives: Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I necessarily "heel-toe" around town. I have wide feet though, and I almost ALWAYS rev-match when downshifting. I find it just makes it a smoother transition when I'm slowing down for a stoplight or just downshifting in general.

I do have to say though that when I'm on the track, I have found it easier to rev-match and heel toe.
Rejor11 is offline   Reply With Quote