follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Swancoat

Drives: E92 M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
That's the auto version. Black circle thing behind the accelrator will be the auto kick-down switch most likely. Basically when you push the accelerator down far enoug to press the button in, it will cause the transmission to shift down.

There are cases where just pushing the accelerator down (without pressing the switch) will cause the transmission to downshift, but this only happens depending on revs you're at, and other things like that. The difference with the kickdown switch is that as long as the engine will not go over it's rev limit, then it should downshift, provided you'll have some time in the lower gear before having to upshift again. This should be optimised by Toyota/Subaru before te car is released.
Not that I'm doubting it's a kickdown switch, but since it's drive-by-wire, don't you think the computer could handle it on its own?

Even more, why would the auto need that since it has paddles to initiate the shifts yourself?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
there are a few places that have DBW modules that sharpen response. i want to say skunk2 makes one for civics, but don't quote me on that...

the picture of the manual trans car might be misleading. hard to judge pedal spacing with no real frame of reference. i'm sure they're just fine for heel-toeing.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
Not that I'm doubting it's a kickdown switch, but since it's drive-by-wire, don't you think the computer could handle it on its own?
It isn't a kickdown switch, it's just a throttle stop. Refer to the OP's picture for proof.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:

Even more, why would the auto need that since it has paddles to initiate the shifts yourself?
It's not a kickdown switch, that's EASILY handled by other methods.

It's likely just a pad.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
Altezza_86

Drives: IS300
Quote:

i think that black thing behind it is a "anti toyota recall switch." lol jk

on a serious note, on most toyotas, they use a "load device" like a throttle position sensor or the mass air flow meter to detect when to shift. and this was a response to snaps comment.
Altezza_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Quote:
I guess it would be to have a physical feel that you've pressed a switch with your foot/accelerator? I can easily tell the difference between pressing the switch down and just resting the accelerator on it in my Supra.

Quote:
IIRC the base model doesn't have paddle-shift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
It isn't a kickdown switch, it's just a throttle stop. Refer to the OP's picture for proof.
Agreed, now I look at it again The one in the manual (OP's pic) and the auto posted later are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altezza_86 View Post
on a serious note, on most toyotas, they use a "load device" like a throttle position sensor or the mass air flow meter to detect when to shift. and this was a response to snaps comment.
Supra had both this, and the kickdown switch. As I said in the first part of this post, I think the kickdown switch was a way to communicate to the driver that a switch had been pressed. This would be more noticeable to a person than just reaching a specific throttle point on the accelerator pedal travel.