follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #71
lionbacker54

Drives: 2013 WR Blue 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
One word of caution: the original paint has much better rust protection than anything you could get put on by a paint shop. Has to do with the high temps its baked on at. May be worth just keeping the scratch or ding
lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionbacker54 For This Useful Post:
Egyptn (09-25-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #72
schtebie

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
My super oblivious neighbor who drives a late 90s Mercedes SL keeps opening her damn door into my passenger side door. It's a hard enough impact to transfer paint, leave a dent, and some nice horizontal scratches showing that something had swiped across it.

This is the 2nd time it's happened now. The first time I let it go and just had the dent pulled and scratches polished out. I'll be sure to make her aware of her error this time around.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #73
MrMista

Drives: 2013 BRZ, Satin White Pearl, MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
If I caught some young punk going out of their way to do this to my car, I don't know if I would have the control not to punch his lights out..

Many people nowadays have little to no respect for others property, nor do they understand what it means to take responsibility for your actions. My five year old opened the door to my coupe (after I told her 100 times to wait for me to help her open the door and to always open it slowly and carefully) and hit a nice Mercedes parked right next to us (it made a little scratch on the door handle of the Mercedes). I made her wait with me until the gentleman came back to his car. I made her apologize (she was in tears) and then I offered to pay for the touch-up. He told me not to worry about it and told my little girl that he was not upset with her and he really appreciated her honesty.
Standup thing to do! From both you and the Mercedes owner.
MrMista is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMista For This Useful Post:
amram (03-26-2014), schtebie (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #74
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMista View Post
Standup thing to do! From both you and the Mercedes owner.
this is the way!
I know i care about my car and I always be careful to other cars as well.
I always park at nobody parks though
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #75
polarstorm

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Haha no argument there. Of course I'll probably end up in an Odyssey in a few years with 3 rugrats running around wondering what the hell happened to my life.
or a pimp, especially if giveaway is a lowered van, shiny spinning rims and 5% tint all around.. I've seen a few 'badass' siennas now.
polarstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #76
polarstorm

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
MAYBE, just maybe, they wanted to protect their cars as well knowing, of course, you would not ding THEIR cars.. BTW, I drive a truck as well as a BRZ..
A lifted truck with LARGE wheels (offroad prepd) parked next to me a couple of days ago, I was inside the coffee shop, I noticed the guy opened the door really carefully and was looking at the gt86, anyways inside we started joking how his opening the door almost cleared the gt86 altogether, we shared a lol. It's all about the person, not the car, but yeah minivans with sliding doors do help.. kids are kids.
polarstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #77
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Just saw this so yeah....

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Egyptn (09-25-2013), gzpermadi (07-01-2013), sklimo (07-01-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #78
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have noticed two culprits that are notorious for door dinging. I would like to preface this by saying yes this is a stereotype and I apologize in advance if you are offended.

Now watch some elderly and some really obese people get out of their cars. For some reason some people that fall into these categories seem entitled to throw open their doors like they are escaping a fire on their passenger seat. I'm assuming its because they have trouble getting out of their cars and don't feel like being bothered with the door. So they just throw it open not caring about what they damage. I've seen this all too often.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadMoon For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-01-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #79
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
We went to Biltmore House in Asheville, NC a couple weeks ago, and after touring the house we came back to the car, and a mini van/suv thing was parked so close to the passenger side of the BRZ, that I had to back out for my wife to get in. The whole time, I'm thinking, "how the heck did they get out?". After I back out, my wife opens the door, and informs me we have a dent in the rear quarter panel, just behind the door.

It took a lot of restraint to not break off a couple valve stems on their vehicle. Luckily the dent was smooth, and didn't hurt the paint, and the paintless dent repair guy was able to get it out from the wheel well. Next time, I pay the parking guy $20 to let me park in the overflow lot miles away.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #80
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Had my car for less than a month. Parked at the mall and I received a dent about the size of a dime. I hate inconsiderate people... how do people with exotics and cars at higher price rangers deal with this bs?! I tend to be really OCD about my cars
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelvinBRZ For This Useful Post:
AVodka14 (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #81
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
I couldn't say anything at all, because I didn't even want to bother running toward him like taking down a robber, so I was just walking toward it, and he finished loading, and got away. Luckily, there was no damage, beside some scratches as where he dragged his box off the surface
No damage? He scratched your car man. I wouldn't take that s*** from any ahole. You call him out and ask for his insurance so he can repair your scratches. I believe there are a subset of humans that are genetically limited to level of intelligence that other intelligent can not comprehend. Because they are so f****** stupid!
AVodka14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #82
AVodka14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbie View Post
I always, always, always, park in the safest possible section of a parking lot. Dents still happen. No matter what, if you drive a car on a regular basis, you will get dings, dents, scratches, chips, etc. Hell, my BRZ came with 2 dents from the dealer! Rather than bitching, I had my paintless dent removal guy take care of it because he does amazing work and is very reasonably priced. I had a vice president in my company open his Mercedes CLK door right into my quarter panel and not even tell me about it (I notified him and he paid for the damage). The moral of the story is its going to happen, don't get all bent out of shape about it. Try to establish a good relationship with a body shop/dent removal company and it will pay off in the long run.
Two dents on your car from the dealership? And you drove it off of the lot? Then paid to have someone fix it....wow.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #83
AVodka14

Obviously this infuriates me as this is my 3rd consecutive post. Even at 29 years of age I would throw a hay maker at the person that I see open their car door into my car and walk away. It would be a shame to have to learn that lesson the hard way. We take care of our cars because this is what we enjoy, cars. Nothing wrong with being passionate and OCD about your investment.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #84
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a dimple on each of the rear fenders, the one on the passenger's side was about 2weeks after I got my car, didn't notice it till someone at work pointed it out. The one on my driver's side was done by my nephew when he exited my sister's truck. It was also the deepest and largest. That one hurt more just cause it was done by family, and they should've known better.
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote