follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tein Monoflex Issue

Hello.

I recently installed the Tein Monoflex coilovers on my car. I have owned 4 other sets, so installation was pretty easy and I know the ins and outs of them.

After installing them, I am noticing a popping noise coming from the passenger rear strut. The sound is about like you would imagine if the two top nuts were not tight.

The sound is intermittent, meaning I have not figured exactly what will or will not make the sound while driving.

Today I pulled the strut out to double check that everything is nice and tight/ adjusted properly, and it was. I reinstalled the coilover, and it is still making the same noise. I also double checked stupid things like if the spare tire was in correctly or if anything else in the trunk was loose and possibly creating the sound.

I have noticed that the sound presents itself more at lower speeds over things like speed bumps or road dips. You don't hear it as much when the car is over 30 mph or so.

Has anyone else had anything similar? I can't decide what it could be, and I can't get a good recording of the sound, but it is definitely there.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
No Limit Motorsport

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to No Limit Motorsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
Hello.

I recently installed the Tein Monoflex coilovers on my car. I have owned 4 other sets, so installation was pretty easy and I know the ins and outs of them.

After installing them, I am noticing a popping noise coming from the passenger rear strut. The sound is about like you would imagine if the two top nuts were not tight.

The sound is intermittent, meaning I have not figured exactly what will or will not make the sound while driving.

Today I pulled the strut out to double check that everything is nice and tight/ adjusted properly, and it was. I reinstalled the coilover, and it is still making the same noise. I also double checked stupid things like if the spare tire was in correctly or if anything else in the trunk was loose and possibly creating the sound.

I have noticed that the sound presents itself more at lower speeds over things like speed bumps or road dips. You don't hear it as much when the car is over 30 mph or so.

Has anyone else had anything similar? I can't decide what it could be, and I can't get a good recording of the sound, but it is definitely there.
Rear end link?
No Limit Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to No Limit Motorsport For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Drives: Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
Hello.

Have you checked the top hats and if they are tightened enough? I know BC Raving have a problem with the same noise and once people re-tightened the top hats it was fixed
SMOKETREES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SMOKETREES For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Yeah everything is tight. I pulled the entire shock and went through it piece by piece.

As for end links, I am not sure if I am looking for a failure or?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Check the nut that holds the end link to the sway bar. It needs to be tight. Had the same issue with my front sway bar.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Thanks. I haven't had a second to check on this yet. I will probably get a minute to jack it up tonight and have a look.

I will report back!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if this description will help, but here it goes.

My front end links were making noises intermittently right after I first installed them. When driving down a road where there were uneven undulations or entering/exiting parking lots at an angle.

After giving it some thought I came to the conclusion that the noises were occurring when the sway bar would hit the "zero load" point. This is a point where the suspension is loaded in just the right way that neither side is levering on the sway bar. When this happens the end link pivots can "float" in their mounting holes and cause the noise I think you are hearing.

I ended up adding an additional flat washer on either side of the sway bar on the end link where it bolts to the sway bar. Also, make sure that the nuts that hold the end link onto the sway bar are TIGHT.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-28-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
Xauterus

Drives: GTS 86 Galaxy Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How much preload did you wind on the springs? I have had no noises from mine with around 5mm preload after the nut touches the spring.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
crook

Drives: storm black GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This may sound silly but I had what sounds like the exact problem.

If you are running wide wheels (I've got 18x10 XD9's) the lip of the rim can get awfully close to one of the arms underneath (toe arm from memory) and I found that the tyre company I used to fit and balance my tyres had put wheel weights on the outer lip, this causes a knock every know and then at low speeds going up and down driveways/speed bumps and even turning... The noise also got more frequent with more weight in the car.

I triple checked everything and was just laying under the car thinking WTF then I spotted how shiny the lead weight was and the witness marks around the lip of the rim of where it had been sliding around every time it clipped the arm.

Popped it off never had a drama again
crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Conclusion?
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
Conclusion?
Hello
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
Hello
He's prolly out enjoying his car, monoflexes and/or life..instead of lurking the forums like us, hehe
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #13
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

They popped till I sold the car