follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Gregory Gawaran

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It's probably located further down the "neck" of the fuel tank. If I remember correctly it HAS to be there by law to prevent fumes from escaping the tank, they figured out in the 80's that the fumes that were being emitted while filling up and letting a gas tank "breath" were incredibly damaging to the environment so they came up with systems to trap them.

Now when you fuel up that big rubber donut creates a seal which channels the fumes in your empty tank to the tank under the gas station as your tank gets filled up, same thing happens when the gas station gets their tanks refilled and then the fumes get transported back to the refinery. Not sure what happens to them if they're re-processed into something or just disposed of in a less damaging way to the environment than venting to the air.
This I didn't know, I knew its purpose but didn't know it was a regulation.
Gregory Gawaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Gawaran View Post
This I didn't know, I knew its purpose but didn't know it was a regulation.
My post kind of strayed into the refueling component but the basis of the regulation is to prevent fumes from escaping the tank and polluting the atmosphere. There is probably some form of pressure relief in an emergency so the tank doesn't balloon up but for the most part tanks are sealed.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, modern fuel systems are sealed but the gas cap has a safety release that goes at a certain pressure. I know that because my other car would vent there eventually.
I know a some of cars now don't even have a screw on gas cap anymore.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It is no longer required, since we will get a check engine light if we leave the gas cap off. That was also designed so you couldn't put a larger diameter leaded gas nozzle just into the filler neck and gravity feed the tank. It required you to push the narrower unleaded nozzle in the neck in order for fuel to flow. I don't think there is leaded auto gas anymore, so the flapper valve is no longer necessary.

John
jdcorbitt3 is offline   Reply With Quote