follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dont expect to pay less than MSRP at all if rumors of limited production are true. There will be a list of people interested in the car longer than the dealers can fill.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtehill View Post
Trust me dude. I bought an auto thinking "well i dont NEED a manual" only to slowly come to realize that driving an auto car is like having sex with an obese woman... it's still happening... but it's just wrong.
^ Haha!

Paddle shifters seem nifty, but I know I'd miss shifting if I didn't get the manual.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
$500. The Purchase agreement stipulates that it's for MSRP, is contingent on test drive, and the deposit is refundable. I've never paid MSRP for a car before (nor have I pre-ordered one), but I'm making an exception for the Toyobaru.
Ah interesting, though if this is for Scion, wouldn't it always be MSRP? I'll swing by Subaru and see if anything is stated there.

Quote:
Most people that can't swing $1000-2000 for a cheap beater (that can be sold after 6 months without much of a loss) shouldn't be buying a new car. My intention isn't to judge as I don't know your situation, but new cars are huge money pits and if it were me I'd make sure I was getting exactly what I wanted. Search various auto enthusiast forums and you'll find posts by people that purchased an AT because they couldn't drive stick and later regretted it.
No, the problem is not the inability to afford a beater. I currently do not have the time to actively look at them. Though a question to you guys is, what do you consider as an auto enthusiast? I'm quite content just taking a car and just driving off somewhere to explore a city or a town. I don't plan to track. Also, I do live in SF and its not the most ... friendly place to start without any help from family or friends--baptism by fire sounds... less than ideal.

Quote:
I wouldn't put much stock in stereotypes; make some calls and get estimates.
Fair enough

Quote:
Actually, that's a good point. I taught my brother to drive stick on a G27 playing GT5. 30 minutes of that plus 15 minutes in my MX5, and he was doing it quite smoothly.

But I still suggest getting a beater to learn thoroughly on (before buying a brand new MT). Or at least get some real wheel time in a friend's car after learning on the simulator.

Anyway, good luck Buggy51.
As stated before, none of my friends (close, don't know about others) drive a manual car so I'm essentially out of luck there. You had yourself there to teach your brother and well, I'm glad you were able to.

And I really don't want to delve into another auto vs. mt but since this is ft86club and nothing stays on topic :P Why do you guys think the auto is absolutely terrible? I haven't heard things that were truly horrific about the ISF's transmission.
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
No, the problem is not the inability to afford a beater. I currently do not have the time to actively look at them. Though a question to you guys is, what do you consider as an auto enthusiast? I'm quite content just taking a car and just driving off somewhere to explore a city or a town. I don't plan to track. Also, I do live in SF and its not the most ... friendly place to start without any help from family or friends--baptism by fire sounds... less than ideal.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/c...k=&maxAsk=3000

It'll be worth the time
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
Buggy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Dont expect to pay less than MSRP at all if rumors of limited production are true. There will be a list of people interested in the car longer than the dealers can fill.
Yeah that's definitely true. And with the official picture release of the BRZ... it just looks a tad goofy to me lol. Sigh, well I can still toss a deposit onto it but eh... ... reminds me of the Mazda 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Lol, I'll consider it, but I don't want to be on the news about a miata rolling down the hill or something. And if I would be going down that route... it seems like youtube will be a great teacher -_-;

At any rate, any other input on the overall financial plan?

Most likely I won't lease it, that just doesn't seem very worthwhile.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #20
tinakatrina

Drives: Love to travel
very cheap car insurance

For great deals on car insurance CLICK HERE.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #21
Buggy51

... O Rly?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #22
SteelReign

Drives: 2009 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
i learn to drive manual from gt5 brah ( using the g27 wheel)

.. im srs lol
Quote:

Actually, that's a good point. I taught my brother to drive stick on a G27 playing GT5. 30 minutes of that plus 15 minutes in my MX5, and he was doing it quite smoothly.
A little off topic, but I've got a G27 and GT5 is coming in the mail right now...does the clutch work? Do you actually stall out if not done properly? Trying to teach my girl how to drive it and she's excited.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
Yeah that's definitely true. And with the official picture release of the BRZ... it just looks a tad goofy to me lol. Sigh, well I can still toss a deposit onto it but eh... ... reminds me of the Mazda 3.

Lol, I'll consider it, but I don't want to be on the news about a miata rolling down the hill or something. And if I would be going down that route... it seems like youtube will be a great teacher -_-;

At any rate, any other input on the overall financial plan?

Most likely I won't lease it, that just doesn't seem very worthwhile.
As long as you're not in the news for crashing more than $3M worth of cars in Japan you should be good.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #24
Buggy51

Quote:
As long as you're not in the news for crashing more than $3M worth of cars in Japan you should be good.
XD I'm not pro enough to afford a Ferrari
Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #25
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Quote:
Current events FTW!
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
oldskule

Drives: Mazda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReign View Post
A little off topic, but I've got a G27 and GT5 is coming in the mail right now...does the clutch work? Do you actually stall out if not done properly? Trying to teach my girl how to drive it and she's excited.
Yes, the clutch does work. When you're shifting, you need to use the clutch or else it won't get into the proper gear and just slip into neutral. But it won't stall if you release the clutch too quickly.

While using the G27 wheel gets you the jist of driving manual, a lot of it is about the friction point and clutch feel. So like others have said, combining this with maybe renting/buying a MT beater would be the way to go. Good luck!
oldskule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #27
nickatdunning

Drives: 2006 focus st
Everyone knows you can't deal on price for the scions(I'm a salesman there's HUGE fines if we sell it for less). The only catch is if the dealership decides to sell all of them for $500 off MSRP. Which will never happen because they don't need to. The only thing you can haggle them on is your trade in. Also everyone on here is way too serious about the process of buying a car... I buy a new car every 6 months. Also most of
The time with good credit at Toyota you can get interest rates in the low 2 percent. Also they have college grad and military rebate if financed. I do have a deposit on the first one at my dealer, I'm probably going to lease it first and then purchase it at the end( there won't be a lot of miles on it)
nickatdunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #28
Buggy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatdunning View Post
Everyone knows you can't deal on price for the scions(I'm a salesman there's HUGE fines if we sell it for less). The only catch is if the dealership decides to sell all of them for $500 off MSRP. Which will never happen because they don't need to. The only thing you can haggle them on is your trade in. Also everyone on here is way too serious about the process of buying a car... I buy a new car every 6 months. Also most of
The time with good credit at Toyota you can get interest rates in the low 2 percent. Also they have college grad and military rebate if financed. I do have a deposit on the first one at my dealer, I'm probably going to lease it first and then purchase it at the end( there won't be a lot of miles on it)
Well my argument was technically geared more towards the BRZ I realized lol. The FRS is a backup >_>;