follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #253
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikke View Post
Actually the unit that Cmarks20 shared, looks nice, runs Android and has a nice GUI...
If it could run Torque, I think we have a winner here...

Yep, that unit looks great, as does the one you showed the link to and the one @2forme has and the T7109A I have ordered.

If a supplier can come up with a pre-rooted one or opened up one that can communicate with both an OBD2 and HKS OB-LINK with no work to root it (ie: plug and play) they would have a huge market. Car and Audio forums from all over the world have been having the same discussions we have been having.
@2forme, you could take delivery, root them, test them and onsell for US$150 more! You'd sell them from the USA to New Zealand and every country above and in between (not much below us!).

Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #254
cmarks20

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Actually heard back from the seller on the last one I posted - apparently he's the manufacturer and it's running 2.2.

Side note - I have a message in to Variscite (an embedded solutions developer) on getting one of their "development" kits with a capacitive touchscreen and support for Android ICS.

This should be an interesting integration project.
cmarks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmarks20 For This Useful Post:
nzer (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #255
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarks20 View Post
Actually heard back from the seller on the last one I posted - apparently he's the manufacturer and it's running 2.2.

Side note - I have a message in to Variscite (an embedded solutions developer) on getting one of their "development" kits with a capacitive touchscreen and support for Android ICS.

This should be an interesting integration project.
@cmarks20 did you ask if it would communicate with an OBD2 ELM327 or an HKS OB-LINK through Bluetooth without rooting it, or if it was rooted already?

And, with Variscite are you able to ask the same question please?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #256
cmarks20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@cmarks20 did you ask if it would communicate with an OBD2 ELM327 or an HKS OB-LINK through Bluetooth without rooting it, or if it was rooted already?

And, with Variscite are you able to ask the same question please?

I didn't think to - though I know the Variscite option is already rooted for development with Android ICS.

The problem with all of the Android Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3) HUs is going to be supporting multiple Bluetooth devices at a time or using something like Torque with USB. Torque Pro USB is compatible with Android Honeycomb (3.1) and above - hence the problem.

The Variscite-based unit will be completely custom. They can provide the system board, processor, and capacitive screen, but it'll be up to me (or someone) to build an enclosure and figure out how to get the ISO wiring up and running....and who knows what else. I'm constantly researching how this is all going to work - so it's going to be quite a project. I think @2forme is talking to some manufacturers as well, so he may have a similar idea in the works.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmarks20 For This Useful Post:
nzer (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #257
nzer

Quote:
I didn't think to - though I know the Variscite option is already rooted for development with Android ICS.

The problem with all of the Android Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3) HUs is going to be supporting multiple Bluetooth devices at a time or using something like Torque with USB. Torque Pro USB is compatible with Android Honeycomb (3.1) and above - hence the problem.

The Variscite-based unit will be completely custom. They can provide the system board, processor, and capacitive screen, but it'll be up to me (or someone) to build an enclosure and figure out how to get the ISO wiring up and running....and who knows what else. I'm constantly researching how this is all going to work - so it's going to be quite a project. I think @2forme is talking to some manufacturers as well, so he may have a similar idea in the works.
Thanks @cmarks20

When I am using Torque or carscope I will be on the track so if I can only have one bluetooth "thing" going at once then that will work for me.

Have you got a link to the Variscite option? You've probably already posted it but we've all discussed so many units I'm not sure which one you mean.

Thanks mate

Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #258
cmarks20

Garage
Quote:
Thanks @cmarks20

When I am using Torque or carscope I will be on the track so if I can only have one bluetooth "thing" going at once then that will work for me.

Have you got a link to the Variscite option? You've probably already posted it but we've all discussed so many units I'm not sure which one you mean.

Thanks mate

I'd want both. The Variscite is an evaluation kit - specifically the VAR-MX6CustomBoard and the VAR-SOM-MX6. Essentially it's a single board computer. The VAR-DVK-MX6 is both items and has a capacitive display attached that looks to be about 2 DIN size. Link:

http://www.variscite.com/products/ev...ts/var-dvk-mx6
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #259
nzer

Woah, that looks beyond me @cmarks20!

I've asked these guys you suggested if it will communicate with an ELM327 or HKS OB-LINK or is rooted http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-dash-Head...044367&vxp=mtr

And for good measure I have asked these guys that @krikke suggested http://www.xtrons.com/GPS-car-dvd.Html
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #260
Ghostmerlott

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, that unit looks great, as does the one you showed the link to and the one @2forme has and the T7109A I have ordered.

If a supplier can come up with a pre-rooted one or opened up one that can communicate with both an OBD2 and HKS OB-LINK with no work to root it (ie: plug and play) they would have a huge market. Car and Audio forums from all over the world have been having the same discussions we have been having.
@2forme, you could take delivery, root them, test them and onsell for US$150 more! You'd sell them from the USA to New Zealand and every country above and in between (not much below us!).

Mate, your thoughts on choosing this over tun 21a?
Ghostmerlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #261
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmerlott View Post
Mate, your thoughts on choosing this over tun 21a?
I believe he originally ordered this because of its 200mm fitment, then wanted the 21A, but they had already shipped this.

I hope the root works and that it has a capacitive screen. Would be nice to see a factory fitted unit.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
Ghostmerlott (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #262
Ghostmerlott

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea, that's definately WAY more professional looking! It looks like the unit @2forme is using. I'll definately have to check it out.

Torque only works on Android (as far as I know). As for the LEDs, learning to be handle with a soldering iron pays off. Replacing the LEDs in a head unit shouldn't be much different than a guage cluster - though it's a PITA.

On a side note, after looking through some initial documentation, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth-while to just build one myself. There are a couple companies that sell various hardware pretty cheap.
Sorry.. how do u access the leds ?
Ghostmerlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #263
cmarks20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmerlott View Post
Sorry.. how do u access the leds ?
I haven't bought one yet, as I'm still researching options. You'd have to take it apart. Once I figure out what I'm buying and if it doesn't have the color LEDs I want, I'll try to do a DIY write-up.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #264
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I haven't bought one yet, as I'm still researching options. You'd have to take it apart. Once I figure out what I'm buying and if it doesn't have the color LEDs I want, I'll try to do a DIY write-up.
Wanna do two of them? hahaha I'm not awesome with a soldering iron.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #265
cmarks20

Garage
Quote:
Woah, that looks beyond me @cmarks20!

I've asked these guys you suggested if it will communicate with an ELM327 or HKS OB-LINK or is rooted http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-dash-Head...044367&vxp=mtr

And for good measure I have asked these guys that @krikke suggested http://www.xtrons.com/GPS-car-dvd.Html
It's a bit more complex than I initially thought it would be - oh well. It's about time I put my degree to hobbyist use
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #266
krikke

Drives: Evo x gsr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Wanna do two of them? hahaha I'm not awesome with a soldering iron.
Make that three!
krikke is offline   Reply With Quote