follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
FRomar-S

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampersnow View Post
Nothing against the FR-S but I don't see why anyone would buy one when the BRZ is a much better deal. I almost bought an FR-S last year and decided to wait. Both cars are readily available in Virginia now and while the Scion is still non-negotiable the BRZ if you look, is very negotiable. the difference between an FR-S and a fully loaded BRZ Limited is about $3,000. I paid only a $1,200 difference and got all the extras (fog lights, heated leather,heated outside mirrors, navigation, auto climate control,keyless start and entry to name a few of the upgrades).Subaru was also offering lower interest rates then the Scion dealers.
I think you just got very lucky, and your story is not necessarily the norm. Just go to the BRZ section and look at the out the door price people paid. Very few under 30k with many ranging from 31-33k.

At scion I actually paid 1000$ less than MSRP because of the college grad program which essentially helped with the taxes/titles/fees. Subaru dealers around me do not offer such incentives, nor are they asking MSRP. I went to see a BRZ before getting my FRS and they added 2500$ for market value. Now, even almost a year later they have 2 on the lot, both over 30k with extra crap they put on.

So I think as is true with most things like this, YMMV
FRomar-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRomar-S For This Useful Post:
chubiboi (04-21-2014)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #44
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,484 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampersnow View Post
Nothing against the FR-S but I don't see why anyone would buy one when the BRZ is a much better deal.

I paid only a $1,200 difference and got all the extras (fog lights, heated leather,heated outside mirrors, navigation, auto climate control,keyless start and entry to name a few of the upgrades).
If those extras were FREE I wouldn't want them, I know I'm not the only one. Hell I'd pay more for what I got over the BRZ; HATE nav, HATE leather, HATE HID's, climate control means I have a computer guessing what I want and I love real keys.

Just because it costs more doesn't mean everybody wants it, even when it costs less.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Clembo (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
Jinzen

Drives: Argento FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
If those extras were FREE I wouldn't want them, I know I'm not the only one. Hell I'd pay more for what I got over the BRZ; HATE nav, HATE leather, HATE HID's, climate control means I have a computer guessing what I want and I love real keys.

Just because it costs more doesn't mean everybody wants it, even when it costs less.
How do you hate HiDs? It's a better lighting.

Brz LEDs, security system, keyless entry and ignition etc pay for themselves with the limited.
Jinzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #46
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzen View Post
How do you hate HiDs? It's a better lighting.

Brz LEDs, security system, keyless entry and ignition etc pay for themselves with the limited.
They blind other drivers if not properly adjusted, I find the blue light harsh and not as effective as the more naturally colored bulbs.

It doesn't matter if they "pay for themselves" if I don't like them.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #47
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Considering certain dealerships in states like CO and UT are willing to sale their BRZ Limiteds at invoice (and yes, I do know people who have bought their cars at that price), you can get all the features for almost the same cost as a base FRS MT...

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
TommyFive

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ-P, 2002 Focus LX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
They blind other drivers if not properly adjusted, I find the blue light harsh and not as effective as the more naturally colored bulbs.

It doesn't matter if they "pay for themselves" if I don't like them.
Any headlight technology will blind other drivers if not properly adjusted. It's your job to make sure they're properly adjusted.

And they don't have a blue tint to them. I think you should take a night-time test drive of the BRZ. The HIDs are really good - natural light temperature, wide beam, easy to adjust, and they really (really) increase your visibility of the road.

I agree that not everybody wants all features (I didn't want push button start or dual-zone climate crap), but it sounds like you based your opinion on HIDs off of crappy aftermarket systems.
TommyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
Kayzer Soze

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT Satin White Pearl
In canada, i managed to get Subaru to offer a $900 discount on a new BRZ.... seems like that was the most possible, other dealers were amazed when they heard this but all were willing to match this discount, but not surpass it. From what i saw, profit margin is around $2000
Kayzer Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #50
Saab2Frs

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Which would behoove people to stop offering crap to people selling their cars privately. If you don't want an FRS (used or new) at a 1500 discount then just go buy from a dealer. That's my jaded perspective on this whole deal.
Saab2Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #51
DTN107

Drives: '08 Civic Si FG2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
LOL. Now you're showing your age. Today the dealership makes much more if you put the minimum down and let them handle financing.
True they make more but also sales count too.

Reason how I got my brand new '08 Si back in October '07 for $19500 out the door. Made the dealership paid the taxes and fees.

Hence why I think OP had the idea to go at the end of the month when dealerships are supposedly rushing last second sales for the month.
DTN107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #52
Ethereal

Drives: 2012 VW GTI
my scion dealer manager firmly told me that scion does not allow them to sell any of their cars below msrp ever. I laughed and left.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #53
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyFive View Post
but it sounds like you based your opinion on HIDs off of crappy aftermarket systems.
I'm biased from getting blinded every ten minutes driving down the freeway at night, the FRS standard headlights are more than adequate. As are most legally sold road cars with the 'crappy standard lights'.

:happy0180:
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #54
kludger

Drives: '13 Boxter S, '13 BRZ(gone)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm biased from getting blinded every ten minutes driving down the freeway at night, the FRS standard headlights are more than adequate. As are most legally sold road cars with the 'crappy standard lights'.

:happy0180:
Those other car's HIDs blinding you are probably on SUVs which have lights much higher up than the twins.

I have yet to get any headlight flashing from other drivers complaining about the BRZ HIDs unlike some other cars with HIDs I've driven, the BRZ HID light level is great and cuts off below the level of other drivers so it doesn't blind.

If you are happy with the standard lights that's great, but the HIDs are not a problem for other drivers on this car.
kludger is offline   Reply With Quote