follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As a fellow detailer, I can say you got it done right glad to see your eyes have been opened to the true potential of a cars paint.

As we say "you loved your cars finish to death" its all about techniques and reducing the chance of marring it when you touch it. A black car is a part time job to keep looking nice, I'm sure they will teach you properly to care for it.

Cheers,
GREG
Ask a pro blog writer for detailed image
duPont Registry approved detailer
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
blanco
DNGZONE

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Raven Opti Coat 2.0

I wanted to share my experience with opti-coat and Windows and Wheels. I am not affiliated with them in any way except being a happy customer.

They had their work cut out for them. I gave them a very filthy car (i was too scared to get it washed for fear of swirls) this was early february when we were having a lot of rain. I did not know the rain could hurt your car. It causes etched in water spots.

Then the dreaded swirls. Most were straight line scratches going lengthwise with the body of the car. I'm thinking its pretty safe to assume that this was mostly from the dealership wash.

The AFTER shots only begin to do justice to how pretty my raven is - look at the reflection and then the final reveal Ta-Da!

Here is complete breakdown of what it took to clean up my fr-s. It was about an 8 hour job. Just like the OP, they had to -

Prep washes (removing old wax/glaze/dirt etc.)
-Decontaminated (clay bar) to remove bonded contaminants (tree sap, rail dust/iron deposits, bird droppings, industrial fall out etc.)
-Paint inspection
-Machine Compounding to remove heavy swirls,scratches,holograms and other defects
-Machine Fine Polishing to remove light hazing/marring from compounding step
-Paint sanitized to remove polishing oils and re-washed to prep for Opti-Coat Pro
-Opti-Coat Pro applied to paint, wheel faces and hard trim pieces

Never been happier! The car is beautiful and the opti-coat really showcases how gorgeous the Raven color really is. I can't thank Wills and Dani enough, they are amazing at what they do and am very pleased with my experience.

Here is a full album that details the work http://s1232.beta.photobucket.com/us...%20Black%20FRS
Attached Images

blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blanco For This Useful Post:
aceangel (03-24-2013), Anthonytpt (03-23-2013), Yruyur (03-23-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow, did the hand washing place dry your car with 220 grit sandpaper?
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I really have to get this done. I have swirls in mine from the dealer wash. Looks amazing!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
GoFast908Z

Drives: 2002 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
I really have to get this done. I have swirls in mine from the dealer wash. Looks amazing!
Let me know if you want help with that. I'm certified by Optimum for Opti-Coat Pro, and am the exclusive CQuartz Finest installer in the area. You can't go wrong with either coating.
GoFast908Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
JsDetail

Drives: 99 WS6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanco View Post
Anyone have thoughts/opinions/experience on Cquartz? I am taking my frs to Wills this Saturday and am really tempted to get it treated. I asked if it would leave a glare and he said "it seems to darken it some, but leaves a pretty 'natural' finish...not a shiny Armorall look lol. So there should be no glare, just clean and protected." Mostly on the fence because $$$ but also overprotective (anal retentive).
theres a cquartz thread onthis site somewhere & theres reviews by some of the members that have gotten it done.
this guy got it done
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21286
JsDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
Let me know if you want help with that. I'm certified by Optimum for Opti-Coat Pro, and am the exclusive CQuartz Finest installer in the area. You can't go wrong with either coating.
Prolly be awhile but if you have a shop PM me a quote, I planned on paying somebody to do it all and not attempting it myself.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #22
GoFast908Z

Drives: 2002 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Prolly be awhile but if you have a shop PM me a quote, I planned on paying somebody to do it all and not attempting it myself.
Well I can't really quote a car sight unseen months in advance, but when you're ready let me know and I'd be happy to handle it for you.
GoFast908Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #23
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
I wouldn't trust anyone that would give you an estimate withought looking at the car. The price truly depends on the condition. Parts I thought were good were horrible in the eyes of tge expert. Once he was done then I saw what amazing was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #24
Sonydigital

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Jeez. I thought my car's condition was bad.... then I saw the two pic compilations in this thread. I'm here at the UofA in Tucson living in an apartment... And I've got to say Arizona really takes a toll on darker colored cars.

I've been doing the two-bucket wash method at a local spray down station(no idea what else to call those) and it seems to be keeping my car in OK shape. there's some very light swirling here and there but nothing serious. Did some detailing when I drove back home for spring break last month and I guess that helped.

I'm ready to get a paint correction an opti-coat done this summer though .

Oh and more on topic, these guys look like they did a badass job.. I might be in contact with them soon ^_^
Sonydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonydigital For This Useful Post:
Yruyur (04-05-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone that would give you an estimate withought looking at the car. The price truly depends on the condition. Parts I thought were good were horrible in the eyes of tge expert. Once he was done then I saw what amazing was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yruyur, Have you had the chance to wash your car since having the coating done? Do you notice any swirling occuring even though you have the Opticoat applied?
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
Yruyur, Have you had the chance to wash your car since having the coating done? Do you notice any swirling occuring even though you have the Opticoat applied?
I'm curious why you would think there would be swirls after coating?

the kind of marring in the photos above are caused by drying and washing techniques.

I assume, correct me if I'm wrong that your line of thinking is that OC will prevent swirls?

Cheers,
GREG
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
I'm curious why you would think there would be swirls after coating?

the kind of marring in the photos above are caused by drying and washing techniques.

I assume, correct me if I'm wrong that your line of thinking is that OC will prevent swirls?

Cheers,
GREG
Hey Greg,

I just washed my car for the first time last weekend. It didn't have any special coating or finishes. Even using the two bucket method, car shampoo, in the shade w. cool paint, micro fiber towels and wash mitt, I still found some marring of the paint in the sun the next day.

My understanding was that opticoat was a slightly harder coating than the standard clear coat and would help prevent swirls in the paint in addition to its water sheeting properties, and increased fortitude against bird bombs and bug bullets.

Do you know differently?
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

That marring was either caused by the washing/drying or previously there and was covered up by fillers in the 'waxes' or polishes.

It will make it slightly harder yes, how much is not quantifiable as of yet IME. I was just questioning the statement as some think its super hard and can't be hurt. yes bird crap, and bugs come off much easier and without huge damage.

Cheers,
GREg