follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
mike_ekim1024

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Isn't this a prime candidate for a sticky thread with answers from people who have flashed their ECU and confirmed it works with certain mods?
mike_ekim1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
jwjknorr

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Its really not that big of a deal guys. its kbs of data , txt, and some threads get to long and annoying to read. I find it funny, if it bothers you ignore it, why care so much?
jwjknorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
As others have already said, all of our EcuTek vendors seem to have different criteria for what determines Stage 1 or Stage 2.

I believe FA20Club says their Stage 1 is for completely stock cars only, and even basic bolt-on cars get Stage 2. E85 tunes must be purchased separately.

If you only want an e85 tune you can get that only. It's not required to get the pumpgas tune then an 85 tune. I've helped local guys with their @FA20Club.com e85 only tune. He sent them the basemap, and tweaked their files within an hour.

Visconti's Stage 1 tune is for all bolt-on only cars, minus E85 users. For E85 tunes, similar to FA20Club, you will have to buy a second map.

The @Visconti tune supports all mods as well, you just need to datalog and send him the files. I don't know his average turnaround now that he's added another staff member.

Moto-East on the other hand seems to have more of a 'tuning is tuning' philosophy, as their kit includes tuning for ANY level (or combination) of NA modification, including E85, if desired..

All of the tuners on this board follow this philosophy. They have built basemaps, and will tweak it for your car based on logs, also modifying tunes as you get new parts.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31010
Best Deal for an EcuTek tune currently available. So far, @moto-mike has been very communicative with me to address my questions and concerns, more than other vendors. That, and the fact that he is within driving distance for me is what made my decision to go with him.

He is the only vendor that has made a detailed video explanation of what your RaceRom features actually are, which is a huge plus. Oh, and he responds to inquiries with more than three word answers, which makes you feel more like he is actually answering your question, and not blowing you off, or hiding "future update secrets".

Flat out untrue. @Visconti had posted several videos of the features as Ecutek released them to the vendors. They are just buried in his thread.

There is less feedback for Moto East on this board (compared to the other vendors), since he hasn't been in the 86 market as long. He does have a good history in servicing the Mazda (MX-5 & Turbo Mazda models) communities, and I have yet to hear anything bad regarding his tunes or service.

I don't know about any of the other EcuTek vendors, as I haven't researched.

I hope this helps clear up your question regarding which "stage" tune you need.

BTW, I learned all this by using the function, and rummaging around for information...
There are some pretty broad and untrue generalizations in that post.

Visconti posting Flat foot shifting back in August
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgZtR_Of85Y"]EcuTek RaceRom Flat-Foot Shifting for BRZ/FRS - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSHFMFUGCMQ"][/ame]
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm on board with this. Only issue is, with the 86 platform gaining popularity, there are likely to be MANY new members registering each week. To screen each of those new members posts may take some excessive resources. That said, sign me up as well. I'll gladly screen new members threads. It would definitely keep the forum from going in the wrong direction, help keep vital information in ONE thread instead of reposted hundreds of times (which ruins the search functionality), and likely stop many a flame war from happening.
I have no problem spending some time sorting through posts. I just don't think we're going down the right path right now as a community. Would hate to see this end up like vwvortex which is a massive shit show imho.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
There are some pretty broad and untrue generalizations in that post.

"If you only want an e85 tune you can get that only. It's not required to get the pumpgas tune then an 85 tune. I've helped local guys with their @FA20Club.com e85 only tune. He sent them the basemap, and tweaked their files within an hour."
My statement is not untrue in any sense. If you want a pump gas tune, as well as an E85 tune, you must purchase TWO separate tunes. I never said you couldn't ONLY get an E85 for the cost of one tune. I hadn't thought of that possibility, as I imagine most members are not running solely E85 (considering its limited availability), and would want a 91/93 tune as well..

Quote:
"The @Visconti tune supports all mods as well, you just need to datalog and send him the files. I don't know his average turnaround now that he's added another staff member."
Is it just me, or is that what I said? Visconti's Stage 1 tune supports all "bolt-on" cars (hence, there is no "Stage 2"), but again, E85 requires purchase of another tune. Opposed to FA20Club, which uses 'separate' (stage 1 or 2) tunes for stock vs bolt-on cars.

Quote:
All of the tuners on this board follow this philosophy. They have built basemaps, and will tweak it for your car based on logs, also modifying tunes as you get new parts.
Please take into context exactly what point I was making:
FA20: Stock vs. modified cars are separate tune files (stage 1 vs 2), E85 is also separate.
Visconti: Stage 1 covers stock & bolt-on cars, but E85 requires separate purchase.
Moto-East: One purchase gets you tuned, regardless of the extent of your bolt-ons, and includes E85, should you desire it.

I guess my mistake was not mentioning that ALL vendors will collect datalogs for your car and optimize your tune for you.

Quote:
Flat out untrue. @Visconti had posted several videos of the features as Ecutek released them to the vendors. They are just buried in his thread.
Absolutely my mistake. Through all my searches, I had not seen those videos posted to the board. That supports my point made here:
Quote:
...help keep vital information in ONE thread instead of reposted hundreds of times (which ruins the search functionality),...

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
My statement is not untrue in any sense. If you want a pump gas tune, as well as an E85 tune, you must purchase TWO separate tunes. I never said you couldn't ONLY get an E85 for the cost of one tune. I hadn't thought of that possibility, as I imagine most members are not running solely E85 (considering its limited availability), and would want a 91/93 tune as well..

Is it just me, or is that what I said? Visconti's Stage 1 tune supports all "bolt-on" cars (hence, there is no "Stage 2"), but again, E85 requires purchase of another tune. Opposed to FA20Club, which uses 'separate' (stage 1 or 2) tunes for stock vs bolt-on cars.

I guess it was the way you phrased it made me think something else, much like the Fa20club phrasing. If you get the tune when you are stock, and then add intake etc, they will tweak your tune to the "stage 2" level without any additional fees.

Please take into context exactly what point I was making:
FA20: Stock vs. modified cars are separate tune files (stage 1 vs 2), E85 is also separate.
Visconti: Stage 1 covers stock & bolt-on cars, but E85 requires separate purchase.
Moto-East: One purchase gets you tuned, regardless of the extent of your bolt-ons, and includes E85, should you desire it.

No additional charge for the E85 tune is pretty big imho. That's a 200-300$ saving vs every other vendor. Here in the Midwest it's the E85 capitol of the Us.

I guess my mistake was not mentioning that ALL vendors will collect datalogs for your car and optimize your tune for you.

Absolutely my mistake. Through all my searches, I had not seen those videos posted to the board. That supports my point made here:
We all make mistakes. I misunderstood some of your post as well. Glad you enjoy the tune, and that's the most important thing.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
We all make mistakes. I misunderstood some of your post as well. Glad you enjoy the tune, and that's the most important thing.
Haven't received my tune yet. But very much looking forward to it!

I wish E85 was viable for me (the only gas station I know of that has it is a good 40 minute drive from my house, in a direction I rarely travel in).

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Another cool thing about @FA20Club.com you can get both tunes for only 400 bucks or 3 tunes for 450. First tune 300 next is 100 and the 3rd 50 bucks if you need a 3rd.

I run the stage 1 pump gas with a avo silicone tube/trd drop in filter. And e85 tune.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
FA20Club.com
Banned

Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
wow this was easily thrown off course. if you have any questions regarding my person strategy for separate tunes feel free to pm me
FA20Club.com is offline   Reply With Quote