follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Meguiars Protectant smudged on paint

Unfortunately while detailing some of the plastic trim pieces on the car I managed to get a bit on the paint around the base of the side mirrors. It doesn't seem to wash off at all.

Probably a mistake using this on the exterior plastics, but was hoping to keep it from fading.

What might pull this off? Claybar? Or something more aggressive?

---update
Definitely Meguiars 'Ultimate Protectant' spray.

Quick detailer - no luck, did not seem to remove any bit of it.

Last edited by Spd229; 12-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
Unfortunately while detailing some of the plastic trim pieces on the car I managed to get a bit on the paint around the base of the side mirrors. It doesn't seem to wash off at all.

Probably a mistake using this on the exterior plastics, but was hoping to keep it from fading.

What might pull this off? Claybar? Or something more aggressive?
referring to meguiars 'ultimate protectant' ? spray or gel?

I've used the spray quite a bit in the past. anything on the paint usually cleans right up with a little quick detailer and a MF towel. If for some reason that does not work, try a weak solution of isopropyl alcohol (IPA). You can dilute the over the counter stuff with distilled water to make it less chemically 'hot'
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sparkle For This Useful Post:
Spd229 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Spd229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
referring to meguiars 'ultimate protectant' ? spray or gel?

I've used the spray quite a bit in the past. anything on the paint usually cleans right up with a little quick detailer and a MF towel. If for some reason that does not work, try a weak solution of isopropyl alcohol (IPA). You can dilute the over the counter stuff with distilled water to make it less chemically 'hot'
The spray, I'll have to look at the bottle but I believe it was the ultimate protectant.

I've washed the car with quick and easy wash since the incident to no avail, I'll have to try the quick detailer.

Hopefully it hasn't gotten too far, I've got Wolf's hard body on the car. Not sure if the IPA would cause much harm to that or not.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Asphalt~86
Banned

Drives: Asphalt AT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Try some baking soda too. Just sprinkle some on the spot you see and take a MF and it should wipe right up.
Asphalt~86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Spd229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt~86 View Post
Try some baking soda too. Just sprinkle some on the spot you see and take a MF and it should wipe right up.
I'll have to look at this as well tonight when I get in. Fortunately I've got some baking soda on hand.

Thanks.

Hopefully one of these ideas will get this stuff out.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Mr. Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt~86 View Post

No - I would not recommend that. In fact I've never heard anyone recommend baking soda on their paint.

IPA may remove some of the wolfs hard body. I'm not hands on familiar enough with that product to comment. It really should come off pretty easily though if its just megs ultimate protectant
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Spd229

Quote:
No - I would not recommend that. In fact I've never heard anyone recommend baking soda on their paint.

IPA may remove some of the wolfs hard body. I'm not hands on familiar enough with that product to comment. It really should come off pretty easily though if its just megs ultimate protectant
Thought about the baking soda, sounded crazy and yet to consider trying it. IPA is up next, though if the protectant is only in the hard body anyway, maybe it won't be too bad to just leave it as the hard body will have to be removed one day anyway once it needs to be redone.

or am I thinking wrong and could it possibly get down to the clear?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Mr. Sparkle

not trying to criticize, but I'm shocked your having this much trouble getting it off the paint. I've used the product a lot in the past with no issues. and meguiars has to recognize (especially with an OTC product) some may get on the paint so it should be easy to remove

and do not put baking soda on there. Never have I seen anyone use or even recommend using baking soda until the above post.

can you post a pic of what you're dealing with?

For anyone lurking, if you apply megs ult protectant to exterior plastic / rubber its best to buff the surface with a clean MF towel shortly after to pickup any excess. otherwise it will run bad in the rain. This is one reason I now use ultima trim and tire guard for all my trim needs. does not run in the rain, actually beads water instead
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Spd229

Quote:
not trying to criticize, but I'm shocked your having this much trouble getting it off the paint. I've used the product a lot in the past with no issues. and meguiars has to recognize (especially with an OTC product) some may get on the paint so it should be easy to remove

and do not put baking soda on there. Never have I seen anyone use or even recommend using baking soda until the above post.

can you post a pic of what you're dealing with?

For anyone lurking, if you apply megs ult protectant to exterior plastic / rubber its best to buff the surface with a clean MF towel shortly after to pickup any excess. otherwise it will run bad in the rain. This is one reason I now use ultima trim and tire guard for all my trim needs. does not run in the rain, actually beads water instead
It's completely fine, I appreciate your insight so far.

I can certainly understand the skepticism. Normally I imagine it would be rather easy to get off if this was done immediately.

I had originally tried to rub (buff w/ MF area that had nothing on it) off the bit that had ran on the paint around the base of the mirror. A day or so later I noticed it had a very smudged appearance where the excess had been (it's only apparent when the light hits it). I then washed it the next day, and still noticed the smudged area later on. Actually during the wash the water seemed to bead up a lot around the smudged area as though it wasn't even really penetrating it; gave off a greasy appearance if that sounds right.

So this has definitely seen some sun unfortunately, and may simply be in the hard body as at this point it has been a few weeks of total time after the wash attempt. If so, good job me for being a novice and not being more attent to this; though like anything else, it can be fixed so I'm not gonna freak over it .

I'll try to get a picture up this afternoon if I get home in time to have some light.

Last edited by Spd229; 12-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Spd229

Here's a quick shot of what it looks like, it's really hard to get the right angle with ample light for it to show up.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I used Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax on a Galaxy Blue BRZ Premium and it left a lot of smudging on the paint when I wiped it off, looked like water stains. I tried to give them a little more microfiber buffing, maybe it was areas where it was filling in light etching?

It looks GREAT after it cured, I guess it blended. Also much easier to apply and wipe off than Gold Class wax or cleaner wax.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote