follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #57
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Other areas may offer higher pay, but atlanta is kind of eh. There's a lot of places willing to pay about $40k / yr to new grads, only a few willing to actually pay you decently. Combine that with the cost of commuting or living in the area and it'll frustrate you rather quickly.

My roommate is currently in that boat, sucks completely. $60k / yr is more reasonable for atlanta starting out, but you'll have to look for those.

If you've only got $700 a month, I'd say hold off. Shit will happen, you'll need the money. Get yourself a nice buffer going to cover yourself, then look into getting the car. I spent a year saving and scrounging to get this car myself.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #58
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I can't really afford this car, but I'm getting it anyway. I would love to follow the 10% rule of car costs (car and related expenses should not be more than 10% of your annual income, i.e. $4-5000 for $40-50,000/yr) and be financially sound and invest in my future, but for me, cars are life. I plan on financing it for 5 years and having it paid off in 4. I take meticulous care of my car so should I decide to sell it, at least it should be worth a tad more than the average trade-in.

http://poorerthanyou.com/2009/07/24/...pend-on-a-car/

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #59
TheEradicator

Drives: Scion FR-S (Raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was in the same boat as you, and the truth is, no one should make this descion but you, all you can do is research, triple check your math and make your own descion and live with it, it's called being an adult. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just emphasizing the point that everybody has their views on life and you should do what makes sense to you rather than look for outside reinforcement.
TheEradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #60
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if you do rush into it and buy it, then you will become "Car broke" the novelty and enjoyment of the car will disappear and youll feel trapped by it.

The only way I would advocate for you to buy it is if you dont plan on making it past 32
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #61
bdub85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Investing in a 401k > buying a new car.

I started my 401k at 21, and it's up to 100k now. (I just turned 27)
bdub85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdub85 For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #62
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub85 View Post
Investing in a 401k > buying a new car.

I started my 401k at 21, and it's up to 100k now. (I just turned 27)
till the stocks tank again and its down to 12$.

I went there... i said it!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #63
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Lots of these cars are being driven by old farts like me (I'm not thirty yet-- But, I drive like an old fart when it comes to this car). Spiritedly on weekends only.

Save your cash and buy a low-miler in five years. Five grand will get you a good MX5 for the moment, if you have to scratch the itch.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #64
KSC

Drives: Ion Redline
And here I though I was the "old man". What a bunch of responsible nerds you guys are! Did I see someone quote Suze Orman?! My Grandmother watches that crap. Shit, If I waited until I could afford a car by your guys standards, I'd be rolling to work on a Huffy.

It's not like the OP works part time at Taco Bell. If you can afford the payments, and want a car, buy a damn car before some wife puts you in a Prius or minivan. Be responsible (the kind of responsible these guys are talking) and save for you future children's education when you have some. Not saying anyone should go broke to buy a shiny new ride to impress people or something, but you certainly sound responsible enough to me to handle a car payment. I'd say go for it.

Last edited by KSC; 03-20-2013 at 09:44 AM.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #65
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonspeakers View Post
1) I’m 26. BS Degree in Computer Engineering/ Neuroscience with 18K student debt paid off.
2) Currently employed (3 yrs) in a stable job making $2,400 a month
3) Rent total is $700
4) I only have $5,000 in the bank in total.
5) Occasionally like to go out to restaurant and movies (~$50)
6) Spend around $150 every two weeks for food/etc.
7) Living with significant other.
8) Don’t know what my credit score is, but I’m sure it’s better than 650. Let’s just say it’s 650 for now.
9) Currently drive a 1999 Acural TL. Paid off.
#7 is the red flag and it all depends on what type of person he/she is. If she is working and making at least as much as you are, then I see no trouble at all if you want to buy the car. But, if she's those type of girls who likes to spend on clothes, makeup, gazillion shoes, wants you to spoil her all the time buying flowers etc, then urine trouble.

In all honesty, only buy the car if you have a garage or shelter you can put it in away from plain eyesight of people, because there are assholes out there who will do whatever they can to damage a good looking car. I've seen a kid running towards my car, looked at it for a second and then started pounding on my bumper, needless to say I had to do what I can to get rid of that rug rat.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #66
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Life is short, you only live once, and all that...

I say go for it. throw your 5k against it, plus whatever you can get for the acura, and enjoy it! You clearly have been financially responsible so far, having paid your student loan, etc. I 'pay myself' 10% off the top of each cheque, before any of my funds go to budget items - bills, debts, savings, mortgage, etc.. if you can still pay your budget items, including whatever you car payment ends up being, plus pay yourself 10% for "me money"... give 'er shit!
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #67
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunova View Post
No, you probably saw someone working at Pizza Hut who *owes* on a BRZ. You don't own it til it's paid off - the bank owns it until then.
I wish the people that sent me my property tax bills would believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Not sure why you have a BS in Computer Science and only make 2,400 a month. You need to start shopping jobs. In computers I would think 60k being the bottom of the barrel, slightly above retail job.
Completely depends on the area. 60k is high for here. Entry level is around 40k. Retail jobs are more like 15-20k/yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
till the stocks tank again and its down to 12$.

I went there... i said it!
Sucks, but that's the way it goes. There are a lot of people I work with that lost a ton of money and are just now settling out again.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #68
KSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
#7 is the red flag and it all depends on what type of person he/she is. If she is working and making at least as much as you are, then I see no trouble at all if you want to buy the car. But, if she's those type of girls who likes to spend on clothes, makeup, gazillion shoes, wants you to spoil her all the time buying flowers etc, then urine trouble.

In all honesty, only buy the car if you have a garage or shelter you can put it in away from plain eyesight of people, because there are assholes out there who will do whatever they can to damage a good looking car. I've seen a kid running towards my car, looked at it for a second and then started pounding on my bumper, needless to say I had to do what I can to get rid of that rug rat.
How is that a red flag? It doesn't sound like she's bleeding him dry?

Seriously, I don't mean to be a ****, (okay, sometimes I totally mean to), but some of the shit on this forum is friggen weird. Clear bras, Opticoat, garages. Do you hire gorillas to watch over the car while you go shopping at the mall?! You realize those very same "assholes" could be out and about, too, right? They have to get their t-shirts from A&F sometime, you know!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #69
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
How is that a red flag? It doesn't sound like she's bleeding him dry?

Seriously, I don't mean to be a ****, (okay, sometimes I totally mean to), but some of the shit on this forum is friggen weird. Clear bras, Opticoat, garages. Do you hire gorillas to watch over the car while you go shopping at the mall?! You realize those very same "assholes" could be out and about, too, right? They have to get their t-shirts from A&F sometime, you know!
I dont blame you, for someone who drives a Saturn.

I was not meaning to say his significant other is bleeding him dry, I was just trying to open up his mind a little bit. Motivating him to do the math himself to see if the price spending between the two couples is enough to keep the car while being steady enough to make the house payments.... I was just simply adding something that I havent seen anyone posted yet and stayed "on topic".
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #70
KSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
I dont blame you, for someone who drives a Saturn.

I was not meaning to say his significant other is bleeding him dry, I was just trying to open up his mind a little bit. Motivating him to do the math himself to see if the price spending between the two couples is enough to keep the car while being steady enough to make the house payments.... I was just simply adding something that I havent seen anyone posted yet and stayed "on topic".
I actually drive a BRZ, which apparently is bound to ruin me financially. That is after a meteor hits it!

And that Saturn had 268whp. It'll smoke your slow ass BRZ anyday! Oh wait...