follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ARK grip catback exhaust review

So here is my first review of a product, so please be easy on me haha.
Sorry for not having pics up. I need to still take some and adjust the exhaust in which I will go into detail about later.

The Ark Grip catback is what I ordered sometime last week through a guy by the name of Lerry. I have to admit, that guy was super nice and really on top of his stuff. I had the stuff to me by the next day!
Packaging:
The packaging was really well done. The box was wrapped up and the exhaust parts were very carefully put in the box with no signs of scratches, dings, or dents.

Install:
The install was SUPER easy! If you need instructions, the instructions are very user friendly and have a step by step process on how to install the catback system. The only problem that I had which is user error, is that I did not put the bolts through all of the parts first and hold up the mufflers to where I wanted them. This in turn caused one side to slightly hang lower by a little tiny bit. Noticeable to me since I am picky, but interestingly my friends haven't noticed. RTFM! (hopefully you know what that is. Ask if you don't , lol)

Overall it took about, id roughly say, 30 minutes. Do keep in mind though that I was rushing since I needed to get to school. Earlier,my car was being filmed for GT Channel in regards to a How To for installing a KW V3 coilover system at the shop I work for so I was very limited on time to get to grad school

Appearance:
This is probably where it helps to have pics and I apologize for not having the pics. I would like to post them after I fix the uneven deal I stated above. Since my car is lowered on KW V3s, I was worried about clearance. Definitely no issue what so ever. My car is pretty low now and no issues over bumps or dips. I do go a little sideways of course, which is the nature of being lowered.

The angle of the mufflers are absolutely stunning!The tips aren't too big and the burnt tip is my type of thing. Definitely an aesthetically pleasing catback system.

Performance and sound:
Here is the gravy that most of you want to know about. The tone when the car is warming up is pretty damn loud, but once the car jumps down into the regular idle speed and warms up a bit, it quiets down A LOT.

While driving, the tone is quite low and is not too loud if you like a mild tone. From 0 through 3k it's a low sound, from 3500k and up, it turns into more of a hollow deep sound which to me sounds amazing (kind of like a g35). It starts to definitely open up after 3500. Note: THERE IS NO DRONE! Definitely was impressed with that. Only thing is that it may be a little to quiet for me with just the catback. Lerry at ARK did mention that I should really look into the test pipe through them that has their anti droning abilities. Unfortunately, I passed up on the offer and well, I feel that I need it now.

Performance wise, I can't say I am an expert, but have notice a little pickup in the higher rpms opposed to stock. Placebo? perhaps, but I do believe I feel it.

Overall:
PROS:

-Excellent packaging. No dings, dents, scratches, scruffs, or anything. Flawless
-Very easy to install with very detailed instructions
-Awesome and friendly customer service
-Great appearance with no issues with clearance
-Amazing tone! Definitely best I have EVER heard
-Performance gains are noticeable to me, but that's just me
CONS:
-
none

Side note:
Test pipe is on order as of today and I should have it tomorrow morning. Install will occur perhaps this week when I have time at the shop or maybe even next week. If you guys want me to update the sound quality, I will definitely do so. I should have listened to Lerry and got the test pipe along with the catback to make it somewhat louder and also free up more flow. I'm glad at the same time that I just went the catback so I could get a feel of the overall tonal characteristics of the exhaust.

Thanks for reading guys. Sorry if this was lame!

UPDATE with test pipe from ARK:

Packaging:
Alright, so I got my test pipe today from ARK just as expected in awesome packaging again and without any dings, dents, scuffs, and the box had all the hardware necessary.

Install:
The install was pretty easy. It's very self explanatory and took about 20 minutes at my shop. If you have any questions what so ever, please ask and I can give a detailed description. Just a side note as Lerry from ARK mentioned as well as @20valvewynn83, the plastic under panel SLIGHTLY needs to be cut. It's a VERY minimal amount and does not look tacky or anything. Reason being? The helmhotz device is SLIGHTLY in the way. In no way was this a pain or a CON. It actually reduces drone. Trust me, it works. Anyways, bolts up nicely with no issues.

Aesthetics:
Well the helmholtz makes it look pretty boss! haha.

Performance and Sound:
Now the gravy portion. Performance wise, the car seems to pick up more than with just the catback on. I can really notice the difference. Oh and if you guys were wondering, no CEL.

In terms of sound, the test pipe didn't make the car too loud. It's a bit louder than with just the catback, but EXTREMELY tasteful. The sound I described from 3500 and up being the hollow g37 type noise is now very noticeable throughout the whole range. I absolutely LOVE IT! Lerry was absolutely about the catback being too quiet and I definitely am happy about getting the test pipe. Again, the helmholtz definitely reduces drone and even with the test pipe, still minimal drone. I can't even notice it.

Overall:
-
Great packaging and flawless with all hardware necessary
- Looks absolutely great on the car
- Install was very straight forward and simple. It lined up perfectly.
- Very noticeable pick up in RPM with the test pipe and catback installed
- The tone has turned into the tone that I have always wanted.
- Not too loud, not too quiet. Just perfect.
- Minimal drone to where I can't notice it
- No rasp or fart can noise.
- Sounds amazing from 1k to 7k
- Definitely more aggressive than just a catback

In conclusion, I am even more mind blown by the catback with the addition of the test pipe. The tone is what I have always wanted the awesome part is the noticeable gain. Hands down the best exhaust system I have heard. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow morning!

Thanks for reading guys! Any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh, and if you want a set, hit up Lerry at ARK. Super nice dude and knows a lot about their products.

Last edited by ft86me; 02-27-2013 at 10:21 PM.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (02-27-2013), AsphaltLover (02-27-2013), R2RO (02-27-2013), spgrizz22 (02-26-2013), TRD_86 (03-02-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
AsphaltLover

Drives: 2006 Scion TC, 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the review. Please check back in and post after you've worn in the exhaust for a while. I'd be interested if the sound is just even more pleasing after it's been toned down a bit.
AsphaltLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltLover View Post
Thanks for the review. Please check back in and post after you've worn in the exhaust for a while. I'd be interested if the sound is just even more pleasing after it's been toned down a bit.

I sure will! I'll also report on how the test pipe is. Thanks for the interest.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you heard the sound difference between the Grip vs DTS before you got it?
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey bro you will just love the sound of the grip setup with the test pipe. As I was the first to have the complete test pipe back grip exhaust I will say the outcome will be to your liking. Just note when you go to put it on you will need to modify the under cover (meaning cut a part of it off). Also just wait until you break it in and the sound gets slightly louder (no too loud). I loved this system more then the DTS but both sound great. I actually had both systems on my car. Love the grip because I can go on long road trips without a headache.
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 20valvewynn83 For This Useful Post:
ft86me (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
TRD_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valvewynn83 View Post
Hey bro you will just love the sound of the grip setup with the test pipe. As I was the first to have the complete test pipe back grip exhaust I will say the outcome will be to your liking. Just note when you go to put it on you will need to modify the under cover (meaning cut a part of it off). Also just wait until you break it in and the sound gets slightly louder (no too loud). I loved this system more then the DTS but both sound great. I actually had both systems on my car. Love the grip because I can go on long road trips without a headache.
I believe ARK show the DTS has better gain than the Grip on their website with dyno's graphs. Both system look & sound damn good. The Grip look like a monster saxophones underneath. Man this is top choice for tax return. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to TRD_86 For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
I believe ARK show the DTS has better gain than the Grip on their website with dyno's graphs. Both system look & sound damn good. The Grip look like a monster saxophones underneath. Man this is top choice for tax return. lol
IIRC The DTS showed more gain because they dynoed it with the test pipe on
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
ft86me

Quote:
Have you heard the sound difference between the Grip vs DTS before you got it?
I honestly have not, but I heard that the DTS was slightly louder according to Lerry at ARK. I really liked the grip due to the way the canisters are positioned.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
ft86me

posting update in a few
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
spgrizz22 (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
If I recall the grip gained more but it also had the test pipe. They only ran the DTS cat back without test pipe so the DTS would produce more with the test pipe. Both systems are extremely sexy I think.
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 20valvewynn83 For This Useful Post:
A5D5TRYR (02-28-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
TRD_86

Have you compared ARK sound with Evo3 or Perrin yet? Based on few recent clips and reviews, the evo3 is a little loud with some drone but it has the best deep warm sound. The Perrin sound raspy and look plain. The ARK Grip and DTS really have nicer design look and sound great.

Last edited by TRD_86; 03-15-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
deedz

Drives: Rocket Bunny FR-S
great review! glad to see another Ark owner enjoying their product
cant wait to throw a test pipe on mine
deedz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deedz For This Useful Post:
ft86me (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
ft86me

Quote:
Has you compare ARK sound with Evo3 or Perrin yet? Based on few recent clips and review. The evo3 is a little loud with some drone but it has the best deep warm sound with silencer option. The Perrin sound little raspy and look plain. The ARK Grip/DTS really have agressive design look and sound not too loud nor raspy.
To be completely honest. ZERO rasp from the ark even with the test pipe on. i sounds amazing. it sounds a little hollow kinda like a g35 with an exhaust. that's the tone. it's not super lower. it's lower tower the low rpms but when you open it up, good lord it's mind blowing
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedzman View Post
great review! glad to see another Ark owner enjoying their product
cant wait to throw a test pipe on mine
it makes a world of a difference. it sounds SOOO MUCH better!