follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i was planning on getting the car when it first comes out. but a 250 hp version is being tested right now? that kinda sucks for initial buyers...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
These pics are very useful. Thanks for putting this up.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
iggyhop9

Drives: 2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
i was planning on getting the car when it first comes out. but a 250 hp version is being tested right now? that kinda sucks for initial buyers...
Yeah, there's too much uncertainty with the first two model years of this vehicle. I was planning on being a launch buyer, but there has been too many rumors and too many unclear reports. 1.6L engine, 2.0 turbo, 2.5 subie, now this 250PS engine? I think I'll just wait. Put it on my list with the Lexus GS-F I'm waiting for
iggyhop9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
ydooby

Drives: Toyota MR2 Supercharged
But then again, why is this the only report that mentions 250ps, among many other media test drive reports we've already seen so far? Makes me think that this is simply yet another piece of made-up info.
ydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Ice_Man

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Ice_Man
Quote:
i hate this... 200ps for the ones who want this car when it comes and then later the 250ps version??? wtf
and as i read in another thread the 1,6l turbo version....??
damn toyota
Ice_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
ydooby

Drives: Toyota MR2 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Man View Post
i hate this... 200ps for the ones who want this car when it comes and then later the 250ps version??? wtf
and as i read in another thread the 1,6l turbo version....??
damn toyota
With such wildly varying versions of rumors, I bet the truth is that no one outside of Toyobaru really knows and people just make these up because that's what they want to see.
ydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I wouldnt buy into the rumourmill here considering all the wrong info we have heard already ex subie will have more power/ subie will be cheapest

thanks for the close up of the headlights and tail lights. I really dont think they will have clear taillight housing here in NA that is more of a fab in japan than anything IMO
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydooby View Post
But then again, why is this the only report that mentions 250ps, among many other media test drive reports we've already seen so far? Makes me think that this is simply yet another piece of made-up info.
they also mentioned a convertible. and in another article it was mentioned that the chassis was designed with a convertible version in mind. so there is some merit...

im going to get this car regardless, but it just sucks that i may have to trade it in for an upgrade, if this 250hp car turns out to be that much better. if it's tuning related and i can get there with aftermarket parts, then i'm ok with that. but if its a substantial hardware upgrade (like a 2.5L block, or a new head design, or a turbo/sc, etc), then i'd probably have to upgrade....
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
they also mentioned a convertible. and in another article it was mentioned that the chassis was designed with a convertible version in mind. so there is some merit...

im going to get this car regardless, but it just sucks that i may have to trade it in for an upgrade, if this 250hp car turns out to be that much better. if it's tuning related and i can get there with aftermarket parts, then i'm ok with that. but if its a substantial hardware upgrade (like a 2.5L block, or a new head design, or a turbo/sc, etc), then i'd probably have to upgrade....
Considering how much work has been put into the chassis, I would say that they will definitely be bringing out a more powerful powerplant in the near future, to get this car into more than one market. It would be like the GC, entry level power and mid level power.

There will be a price gap that reflects on that though. I'm just wondering what kind of powerplant they have in mind... turbo? supercharged? 2.5l? or a radical change, like a v6?

I wouldnt mind purchasing one of these with a v6 and nice black leather. Such a nice base chassis could only benefit from a torquey, higher hp powerplant. However the current weight distribution of 53/47 is definitely a factor to consider, since a larger engine will likely make that balance closer to 56/44, or even worse, and that is not a great distribution for handling.

Who knows. I can say for sure though, that I wouldn't like forced induction to be introduced in a higher HP model. I like the reliability of NA, as well as the simplicity.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
Considering how much work has been put into the chassis, I would say that they will definitely be bringing out a more powerful powerplant in the near future, to get this car into more than one market. It would be like the GC, entry level power and mid level power.

There will be a price gap that reflects on that though. I'm just wondering what kind of powerplant they have in mind... turbo? supercharged? 2.5l? or a radical change, like a v6?

I wouldnt mind purchasing one of these with a v6 and nice black leather. Such a nice base chassis could only benefit from a torquey, higher hp powerplant. However the current weight distribution of 53/47 is definitely a factor to consider, since a larger engine will likely make that balance closer to 56/44, or even worse, and that is not a great distribution for handling.

Who knows. I can say for sure though, that I wouldn't like forced induction to be introduced in a higher HP model. I like the reliability of NA, as well as the simplicity.
For 250HP it would have to be a bigger engine..like a 2.2 liter or a 2.5 liter boxer engine...or a turbo for sure.

Hyundai just released new specs for the 2013 Genesis coupe..

The 2.0T is now going to have 275 HP
The 3.8 liter V6 will have 350 HP.

Suddenly 200HP is not that much anymore...

Unless the FR-S is priced right like fully loaded at $23K-$24k.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #25
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If you look at the other headlights from the other mules, it seems like the ones here are the "high trim" HID model with LED strip. Just my guess.

Also, interestingly enough, the headlights here has certain parts black, unlike the modellista leak(mainly the circle that goes around the HID housing):

Last edited by Mari0; 11-14-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post

The 2.0T is now going to have 275 HP The 3.8 liter V6 will have 350 HP

Suddenly 200HP is not that much anymore...

Unless the FR-S is priced right like fully loaded at $23K-$24k.
The 2.0T is now going to have 275 HP - WEIGHT: 3400
The 3.8 liter V6 will have 350 HP - WEIGHT: 3500
FRS/BRZ 2.0 = 200HP - Weight 2600

Also, Hyundai haven't clearly stated if they replaced the current M6 transmission with one that doesn't suck balls in the Genesis Coupe. The hope is they put in a new one...

There is also the issue of the new front-end on the GC which by most accounts is a big fail.

That being said I'm waiting to see what it looks like in person, the interior looks great.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #27
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks for posting!
LEt's hope this has some truth and not just more speculation. I'm probably going to be one of those few inital buyers but if the more powerful and/or roadster are released in the U.S. and are practical and more fun I think I might trade in.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
I don't think Toyota is going to come out with a totally new engine in the second year of production. As stated above doing so would probably mean a bigger engine and would mean that the weight distribution would be way off. That means they would just throw their years of testing and design out the window. Maybe when they come out with a new generation they would put a new engine inside. Well to be honest it might be a possibility that Toyota or Subaru could have figured some way to mod the engine so it can house a turbo kit, but that would still mess with the weight distribution. From the sound of some of these reviews that have been leaked they made it sound like the weight distribution was very important.

As for the convertible version, I don't think they are going to actually make that unless there is a huge demand for it, and I personally don't think there will be. Although the chassis allows the FT-86 to be a convertible, adding all those parts will mess with the weight ratio. But more importantly having a soft top will mess with the drag coefficient and aerodynamics. I mean out of all the leaks we have seen so far have you guys even heard of the possibility of a sunroof? Plus in one of the leaks they even said they special designed the roof to regulate airflow and be lightweight.

This reporter seems to have a lot of ideas of his own.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote