follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Andy

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm sorry, but Sprinter sucks, its not a good image for a car of this type, it just doesn't give off any excitement for the car..
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
Major Clod

Drives: RA23 Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
Considering this would be a 2nd gen sprinter?
There were four generations of Sprinter release before the AE86 came out. Likewise, there were another three generations after that. The Takumi tax variety was not the only one.

In Australia I'd be doubtful of the name Sprinter. Celica certainly would have more recognition with Australian public, though not necessarily in a good way (FWD hairdressers car isn't it?)

I'd love a new RWD Celica (I'm an 1976 RA23 Celica owner here) but I think this beast will have an entirely new name.

It really is a combination of a variety of Toyota sports car influences - handling AE86, looks 2000GT, engine 2.0L synonymous with Celica. Something to bring back Toyota from their depths of Boredom will need to be bigger than one model, eg not just a "new celica/sprinter/supra/whatever"
Major Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
that was funny i thought i was going to be forwarded on the old club4ag forum cuz, before club4ag it was called ae86club back in the mid to late 90's lol
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #18
Slide
Banned

Drives: Toyota Aristo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Clod View Post
There were four generations of Sprinter release before the AE86 came out. Likewise, there were another three generations after that. The Takumi tax variety was not the only one.

In Australia I'd be doubtful of the name Sprinter. Celica certainly would have more recognition with Australian public, though not necessarily in a good way (FWD hairdressers car isn't it?)

I'd love a new RWD Celica (I'm an 1976 RA23 Celica owner here) but I think this beast will have an entirely new name.

It really is a combination of a variety of Toyota sports car influences - handling AE86, looks 2000GT, engine 2.0L synonymous with Celica. Something to bring back Toyota from their depths of Boredom will need to be bigger than one model, eg not just a "new celica/sprinter/supra/whatever"
They were Toyota Corolla Sprinter...

Only this one was called Toyota Sprinter...
Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #19
Major Clod

Drives: RA23 Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
They were Toyota Corolla Sprinter...

Only this one was called Toyota Sprinter...
Semantics really... Supra's started as the Celica Supra, the Skyline GT-R is now just GT-R, MR-2 went to MR-S, etc...

Not saying they were all called Sprinter exclusively, just that there have been plenty of cars carrying the Sprinter name since the AE86 - they weren't called Sprinter by accident. So not sure you can call it the second generation.

Inspired by, re-imagining of, sure. But this car is far from second generation.
Major Clod is offline   Reply With Quote