follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wrx seems like the all around compromise between performance, practicality, and price. Good luck, all of them blow away a '96 accord
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
eljefe

Drives: SS BRZ LMTD 6MT, 92 Civic hatch RHD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The rear seat in our car is basically nonexistent. I'm pretty sure its only there for insurance purposes.

That being said, i don't think any other car on your list is going to offer as fun of a driving experience. The WRX would be my second choice.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
You should also run the numbers for insurance on each car you're looking to buy. Although unlikely, you might not want to buy a certain car after hearing the insurance cost.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
Voodoo Rufus
The Ruthless

Drives: 2015 STI Launch Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I currently own two of the cars on your list (GTI and FR-S). I've also owned an STI in the past.

Of the cars you've mentioned, the FR-S and STI are the most fun to drive IMO, but for different reasons. The STI is fun because of the feeling of its go-anywhere AWD and the midrange surge from the turbo. It's not precise, it's not lightweight, but it is very fast in real-world driving, especially with a tune and TBE. It also offers great practicality as a hatchback, like a small wagon. The negatives? Understeer, high CG, poor steering feel, gas mileage and maintenance. There are also new WRX/STI models on the horizon, so be aware of that.
I'll play devil's advocate for a bit. The choice of car should be based on what objective you want it to fill. Utility, commute, fun, passenger carrying, weather conditions in which you live, etc. Or a combination of all. In that case, that's where Subarus shine. I wouldn't consider the WRX / STI as having a particularly high CG, esp compared to other cars in the same market. It will be lower than I-4 or V-6 powered cars. Heck, even Subaru markets that as part of the boxer advantage. The understeer can be largely resolved with a fatter rear swaybar (cheap enough), and 2009+ models have a lot less than their predecessors because of stiffer rear springs. If you're more skillful, chuck it into a corner to upset the chassis and hold your drift. It just won't be as easy to induce as the 86 twins. Steering feel, add better bushings. Maintenance shouldn't be any worse than anything else, aside from maybe more frequent oil changes (I found 5k on my old WRX to be just fine, and ran 8k with no issues). Lesser mileage compared to other 4/5 door sedans, true, but you can still get 24-27MPG highway. 1 or 2 more if you're tuned with a TBE.

The bad news, everything I've read lately (mostly from IWSTI.com) indicates 2015 for the next STI. I wish it would come out this year.

AWD sedan: go anywhere in any weather, do anything, handle well and go fast while carrying all your buds with you at the same time.

For the record, I've driven the FRS, BRZ, multiple WRX and STI models and years, and ridden in a Focus ST. And I like Subarus, BRZ and STI especially. They just have a unique lovable character.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
WRX.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i bought of the FRS because i wanted something sporty and unique, But it really left an unfilled need of practacality , Fuel Effecient. My 2nd car choice was a Prius 3...

But everytime i drive on the twisties the FRS it leaves a smile on my face =)
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
elbles

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I currently have both a GTI and a BRZ, and I had an Impreza in the past. My opinions:

1) The GTI is the best all around car (again, just my opinion--please don't flame me for not holding the Subaru line ;-)). It's fast enough, and more power is just a flash away. It handles well, and rides fairly comfortably. It has far less body roll than my Impreza did (stock vs. stock), and is far more fun to drive (my Impreza was just a 2.5i, but even excluding the difference in power, it isn't really even close). I considered the Rex when I got the GTI, but ultimately, I thought it was more of a compromise than the GTI was, and at the time, I really wanted a nice-ish car.

2) The BRZ is the most fun to drive, hands down. I've driven a lot of fast fun cars (S2000, Elise, Cayman S, etc.), and the BRZ is right up there with them. It may not be as fast, but the fun is all there. I bought the BRZ not knowing if I could make it my DD, and honestly, I still don't know the answer there. I know I could... but given the option, I'm not sure I want to. If I didn't have the option, I don't think I would have gotten it as my only car. It really is a 2-seater, and has somewhat limited space compared to a hatch or even a sedan.

The Focus ST has obviously gotten rave reviews, and it's probably more of a fun car than the GTI (I haven't driven one). Generally speaking, I don't see much sense in the AWD cars myself. I'd either go practical FWD or crazy amounts of fun RWD.

Best of luck though!
elbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Voodoo Rufus
The Ruthless

AWD + full snow tires + bad weather = total mountain goat.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I like my awd forester because it basically means I don't have to plow my driveway or the little mountains plows leave by the curbside. I just power through everything.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
I myself. was kinda in the same predicament. But I'm happy w/ my choice. Overall. I picked the twins over the WRX simply because of how unique it was.
My EXACT choosing. Sure I could have bought a WRX Limited, for the same price (roughly) and had a monster of a car. But everyone here in Nebraska has a WRX and I wanted something different. Something I knew I would enjoy. Overall, very happy with my choice so far and not regretting it as the days go on. Cannot wait to drive this foxy lady in the Spring/Summer.

As for trunk space, I agree as well. I came from a 99 Integra DB8. I had a ton more room in that car than this one. Really the BRZ's back seats are nothing more than extra storage space. Also to bring insurance down a little. Curious to see what it would be as a 2 seater coupe instead of a 2+2 coupe. Anywho.

Speed, I just got over 1k miles. I am not really wailing on it because honestly, I do not need to. A lot of people take it to red line right after 1k miles. Sure they want to see the power pull in it, or just want to F around. Me, I took it up to 5k just to see where the power band started pulling. Found it right at 5k. I did the propper break in and honestly it is how I drove my Integra daily so used to driving under 4k RPM in traffic/city driving.

The tail of the car I do get pulling away from me more than I expected. But this is the first RWD car I have owned. Got to learn not to give it so much juice out of a turn. Tell you what though it does get back on track QUICK!

I do not realize it but when I have people in the car they always ask why I am smiling. I quickly look at them and instantly go serious face...for 1 second haha. I cannot help but love to drive the car. It was made to drive and enjoy to drive. I see the passenger smiling too. It doesn't throw you into your seat, not enough torque but they love the smooth ride (aside from crap Nebraska roads) I get around just fine in the snow and will even better with snow tires. I could not find a place with good snow tires in stock and they will not mount any from Tire Rack. I think the snow is done for now anyways.

I am traveling to South Dakota in the Summer to go see some Mount Rushmore. You bet I am driving the BRZ up there! Going to break in these Primacy tires good!
Khazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
IMO, they should make a whole line of rwd cars on the FR-S/BRZ platform, including a sedan and 5-door "hot hatch" version. And a dedicated 2-seater with the engine/firewall/windshield/front-seaters moved aft about 20" for 50/50 or better weight distribution, too!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
IMO, they should make a whole line of rwd cars on the FR-S/BRZ platform, including a sedan and 5-door "hot hatch" version. And a dedicated 2-seater with the engine/firewall/windshield/front-seaters moved aft about 20" for 50/50 or better weight distribution, too!
The shooting brake render of the 86 is pretty dead sexy. I'm pretty sure toyota or subaru will figure out someway to build something else on the ft86 platform and hopefully not mess it up.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23798
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
ib

Drives: FR-S Lava, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You're young, and St. Louis doesn't get too much snow. Assuming you don't have kids or the need to haul lots of stuff, get the 86.
ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
Voodoo Rufus
The Ruthless

The sad part? This type of car was not unique, 40 years ago.