follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesmiff07 View Post
Im kinda stuck on that thought also...I like the frs bumper....but like the BRZ limited interior...have a lot to think about in the next few months

P.S. the BRZ limited is the closet thing to an actual gt86 we can get

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
What do you spend more time staring at, the bumper or interior?

Frankly I'd be dead without my heated seats this winter.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Dizz1e (04-14-2013), ftc~brz (02-02-2013), Lo (02-03-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #44
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
After driving my FR-S around for the last 3 weeks I really wish I would have gone for the BRZ instead. The small upgrades in the BRZ (nicer seat material, push button start, heated seats, nav) are things that I now wish my FR-S had.

I also thought I liked the FR-S front end better but after living with it I feel the BRZ is more "mature" looking.

Also, maybe it's just Canada, but no one knows WTF a "Scion" is, and it's annoying having to explain it to them.
I feel exactly the same way
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #45
beesmiff07

Drives: Trailblazer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
What do you spend more time staring at, the bumper or interior?

Frankly I'd be dead without my heated seats this winter.
It will have to be the interior....but every time I see a brz im thinking how ugly the front bumper is...Ive thought bout maybe getting the BRZ and putting a FRS bumper on it then debadging it all and getting the GT86 body kit....that would make it look like a spitting image....but that cost is gonna be all of what my budget will be....a lot of thinking in the near future
beesmiff07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #46
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
BRZ looks like its smiling. FRS looks like its mad. Do you want a happy car or an angry one? I think angry looks better personally.

Price difference for me was almost 4000 too from FRS (1000 off for new graduates) vs the limited BRZ. 4000 isnt worth dual climate control, heated seats, push start, alcantra, HID stock with DRLs, not sure what else. HIDs is a 30 dollar mod though it may not be the look you want. homelink is a 220 dollar mod, dual climate control i always thought was kinda dumb especially in a car this small (had it in every car i owned and i always thought it was annoying), heated seats are useless in our area especially on non-leather, etc.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
^it depends on the angle and the modifications. Take a look at @switchlanez BRZ. In some pictures it looks really mean. The reality is the BRZ is nowhere near as smiley as a Mazda.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #48
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyoncarver View Post
I currently drive a 04 s2000...its an awesome car ...but im in love with the frs/brz..but idk which one to get....I like the frs front humper/fogl ights
My input i love my FRS its great i like how more simple the inside is no leather or electric seats or heated seats, cars light because race car
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #49
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
The interior was absolutely what sold me though. Many say that it's just added weight and they don't care, but I think (in Limited form), it completely transforms the perceived quality and look of the interior.
This is true. When my boss (Taiwanese chick who drove a TT and went to college with a bunch of import heads with a brother who drove a modded Accord) visited my town I had to take her around in my BRZ. She seemed impressed with the neat interior and its nav screen, dials, etc. She asked the car's price and when I told her it was $28k she was like, "Only?!" A slightly uprated interior can count for points with chicks, your boss, or both.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #50
beesmiff07

Drives: Trailblazer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
THE DECISION 2013!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

beesmiff07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #51
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
My 2 cents even though I don't own either car.
I prefer the FR-S' front bumper, white tach and HVAC (not necessarily a fan of auto climate), but hate the lack of heated seats (I live in Montreal and would DD 1 of the twins all year long).
I like the BRZ Sport Tech's (Limited) heated seats, HIDs, Fogs and I think they come with heated mirrors in Canada. I hate the spoiler that comes with it though.
Non factors to me are the radio (I'd probably put an android Headunit), the side fender "decoration" (started prefering the fake vent, but grew accustomed to the 86/piston badge), and the dash (fake carbon fiber in the FR-S vs the plain silver dash in the BRZ). Those last two items could be exchanged (a friend of mine mentioned he informed himself on the cost of getting the FR-S' dash parts and said it was worth it for him.)
In the end, I currently drive a car without heated seat, and when it's cold out, I just wish I had them. I could live with the BRZ bumper. I've seen a thread on this forum dedicated to hatch swaps between BRZ and FRS owners (someone confirmed that the colors are EXACTLY the same MINUS the WRB in BRZ that has no equivalent in the FRS).

Money ASIDE (FR-S 26300CND vs BRZ Sport Tech 29295CND), I'd pick the BRZ. Since I'm not made of money, I'd have to rethink how badly I want heated seats or find out if I can get some custom installed on an FR-S and reevaluate from there.

I guess what I'm saying is, do you need the added luxury? All I can say for sure is don't get the BeSpoke Pioneer Radio upgrade in the FR-S. It's not worth the extra $. You'd be better off investing on an aftermarket radio.
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
ib

Drives: FR-S Lava, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Each has its advantages. To me they were:

BRZ:
Accessories
I prefer the Subaru brand; my mother-in-law drives a Scion

FRS:
Front end, cool 86 logo on side
Lava color was available, with 5 miles (no abusive demos)
Lower price
My last car was a Toyota, and it was extremely reliable

The deciding factor may have been the dealership. The Subaru salesman wouldn't answer my questions about the BRZ. I'd emailed them a few times. If they replied, the reply completely ignored my question. The local Scion dealer, Bennett Toyota, actually acted like they wanted to sell me the car.
ib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ib For This Useful Post:
Ryeong86 (04-13-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #53
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrohdejr View Post
There is always the paint gun to cover the fr-s front bumper!!!
Hah, I have an frs and I will probably end up having the front bumper painted... With something that's actually harder than the spray-on bubblegum crap Subaru uses.

If there was one thing I could change about that brand, who are otherwise my favorite, it would be the damned paint. So so soft.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #54
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The best of both worlds is the 86 GTS. Too darn bad they dont sell it here, I'd have paid the difference without a thought.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #55
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFA20 View Post
FRS is lighter has stiffer rear suspension and BRZ has more luxury and stiffer front end.

the result is the BRZ will understeer more and the FRS will oversteer more depends on preference really. they are basically the same thing
the frs is only lighter than the BRZ limited...otherwise the premium is the same weight.
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #56
Kwisak

Drives: 2013 BRZ GBS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
it's the interior of the BRZ limited really persuaded me over the FRS. I also don't really like the brand "Scion". It's more of a teenager's brand IMO.
I'm with you, looked at both,however I am bias coming from a wrx
Kwisak is offline   Reply With Quote