follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Ahernandez0909

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Modifications Advice... Help?

Hey guys I'm just asking for some quick help. I am new to any third market car mods. I used to drive a 2003 BMW 325i (Father's car). I now got a job and decided to buy my own car. I loved the FRS so I bought it the same day I saw it. I love the car and I want to make it faster and "nicer" haha I am on a budget from hell due to the new car purchase, but I am interested in a Cold Air Intake, as I've heard those are good beginning modifications. I wouldn't mind a little deeper/louder growl from my engine and some horespower and torque boosts. I found a very affordable one and wanted to know if anybody knew about this particular maker/part. Thanks for the help guys! Sorry for the "nooby" question

http://www.redline360.com/injen-cold...ion-frs-SP1230
Ahernandez0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Best bang for your buck is a flash. IMO Intakes and or exhaust systems haven't been proven to make power.

If you want more sound I would check out a simple catback system - Perrin, P&L, Nameless, or Accelerated Performance.

Hope that helps

Here's a pic of the P&L vs stock

Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

Drives: 98'GSX 11'Tundra 10'Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Best bang for your buck is a flash. IMO Intakes and or exhaust systems haven't been proven to make power.

Did business slow down?
dsmx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Visconti
Banned

^ ha ha, lucky for me no. Just about the busiest I've ever been

-John
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Ahernandez0909

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks

Thanks a lot man~ Being a "noob" I still don't understand that too much. I heard that intakes and exhausts are the best beginning modifications to make to a car. The one I linked supposedly adds a bit more whp and a bit more torque. I'm not really looking for sound compared to performance but a nice deeper growl wouldn't be terrible. Wow that thing looks a lot nicer lol.
Ahernandez0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have to admit that a tune is the best bang for the buck, but I don't undestand why John say's that exhaust are proven not to make power cause we have on here many dyno prover results on those. I also made my own dyno proven and yes the make power.
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
I have to admit that a tune is the best bang for the buck, but I don't undestand why John say's that exhaust are proven not to make power cause we have on here many dyno prover results on those. I also made my own dyno proven and yes the make power.
I've done several tests which indicate they don't, with or without the flash.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
That flys in the face of every exhaust fabricator. Hell nameless said their exhaust picked up something like 20 whp. You say it's 0. Oh and you sell flashes so no conflict of interest here.

Basically you are saying Perrin, nameless, Jdl, supersprint, etc all are lying. Is this you being sarcastic again or something?
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I think he's probably talking about just catbacks alone, or axlebacks. Nameless full system with the header produced 22 whp on a dyno that Tainen did. Full exhaust systems go for $1k+ which doesn't include a header. A flash will cost you $850 and you get a license, cable, and updated tunes.

Tunes are the best bang for the buck, but if you ask me, get a tune when you have intake, headers, and exhaust, and you'll really see how awesome a tune is. The e85 tune is pretty awesome, but I don't know what the long term effects are of e85 on this engine. That's my only concern with it.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
That flys in the face of every exhaust fabricator. Hell nameless said their exhaust picked up something like 20 whp. You say it's 0. Oh and you sell flashes so no conflict of interest here.

Basically you are saying Perrin, nameless, Jdl, supersprint, etc all are lying. Is this you being sarcastic again or something?
People claim a lot of this forum .. Tunes that are suppose to make power but Dyno less then stock on the Dyno...

I've seen zero gains with several exhaust systems..

I've also spoke to a few guys making headers and their Dyno tests all showed the same thing.

I've yet to see anything truly impressive that falls outside the margin of error.

If I'm wrong show me
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'll second Visconti on the tune. Best bang for the buck mod, period.

Other that that, good tires.

Chucking out the trunk junk is also free and will save you a nice few pounds. Combining that with a lightweight battery to take some weight off the front isn't very expensive either.

After that, springs/coilovers and geometry correction bushings so you don't end up running a gank alignment that ruins your handling.

When it comes to other stuff like exhausts, wheels etc. I always look for stuff that has a some kind of weight savings angle to it if possible, so you get an additional benefit on top of better cosmetics, sound, whatever.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So we've been lied too by Dsport also?
http://dsportmag.com/browse/tech/sci...haust-showcase
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WatchmaN For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
mhigham

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would also say tune would be best bang for the buck and likely the most gain period. Intakes are making nothing and exhaust very little, especially without a tune to support it.
mhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahernandez0909 View Post
Hey guys I'm just asking for some quick help. I am new to any third market car mods. I used to drive a 2003 BMW 325i (Father's car). I now got a job and decided to buy my own car. I loved the FRS so I bought it the same day I saw it. I love the car and I want to make it faster and "nicer" haha I am on a budget from hell due to the new car purchase, but I am interested in a Cold Air Intake, as I've heard those are good beginning modifications. I wouldn't mind a little deeper/louder growl from my engine and some horespower and torque boosts. I found a very affordable one and wanted to know if anybody knew about this particular maker/part. Thanks for the help guys! Sorry for the "nooby" question

http://www.redline360.com/injen-cold...ion-frs-SP1230
If you want to ride in my BRZ at an upcoming local meet, you can see for yourself the difference that a true CAI makes.

I would get a true CAI versus a short-ram intake like the Injen you linked to because the Injen's open faced design sucks in a lot of hot air that rises up off the headers and radiator and gets trapped under the hood. This effect has been measured by others here using the intake air temp data given via OBDII interfaces. Just think about how that's amplified sitting in Atlanta traffic mid-summer. Having the filter away from all that hot air and behind the bumper cover results in significantly (6 degrees F) lower intake air temps.

The gains from a CAI are only about 4-5whp and 2-3 ft/lbs on a stock tune, but the throttle response and sound are greatly improved, as well as making much more room in the engine bay. The Vigilant CAI is only $270 shipped and I think it's a great deal, and same with the FA20Club CAI, really just comes down to how you want it finished. I preferred the flat black coating.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, cai, cold air intake system, injen