follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Silp3

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steel wheel

Does anyone have available, a 16x6.5 steel wheel 5x100?

Thank you!
Silp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tire Rack
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Silp3

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
All set, thanks.

Ended up buying 4 snows and steels. The seller assured me they were 5 x 100. turns out they were 5 x 110 and refuses to refund. I didnt have time to chase them, so I purchased 3 steel wheels in new condition for $60 and the fourth for $60.

Lesson learned, steelies are ugly anyways.
Silp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Demiurge

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can you put them on yourself or does your dealer have no problem with 16'' steelies? Because mine does. I bought an Asphalt FR-S last week from Hurlbert Toyota(Epping). I traded in my RSX-S. It had good studded winter tires on and summer tires in the trunk. I asked them to buy steel wheels and move the winter tires on, but they refused, in the end stating:
"The service dept. does not feel comfortable putting any other wheels on the FR-S. Only Toyota/Scion parts. So I guess thats a "NO" Also, The RSX has been sold. I beleive one of our technicians bought it."

After which I was completely floored. They sold the car to themselves with the tires I told them I wanted to keep. Tires they refused to put on the care even though they are exact diameter (http://quad.demiurge.me/frs-vs-rsx.jpg, few mm within tolerances for same tire!) Seeing them tonight, not even sure what to say...
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
MannyO
Ninja Moderator

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
...Seeing them tonight, not even sure what to say...
That's insane. Give 'em hell!
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO View Post
That's insane. Give 'em hell!
I could probably give them more hell if I knew if they had any merit. Is it *ever* a problem for a dealer to install smaller rim but with same diameter, knowing the offset? It's my first car, and it seemed like a non-issue. I don't understand why they'd refuse, unless the technician who refused is the same guy who bought the RSX with "free" tires...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Screw them, buy a jack and a torque wrench.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Demiurge

I don't want to void the warranty by not having the sensors. if i could do that, i know a great honest place I always go to, I would like nothing better at this point.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
NRGBalanced

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I could probably give them more hell if I knew if they had any merit. Is it *ever* a problem for a dealer to install smaller rim but with same diameter, knowing the offset? It's my first car, and it seemed like a non-issue. I don't understand why they'd refuse, unless the technician who refused is the same guy who bought the RSX with "free" tires...
I think they are just pulling a fast one on you. The G86 in Japan comes with 16" wheels stock. If you have any proof that you sold the car to them with the stipulation you would get the tires mounted, now's the time to use it. Otherwise it looks like you sold them the car and all of its included accessories/contents.

Quote:
I don't want to void the warranty by not having the sensors. if i could do that, i know a great honest place I always go to, I would like nothing better at this point.
No part of the warranty should be voided by not having TPMS sensors in your wheels. A state inspector might give you grief if the light is on during your inspection, but not having the sensors installed shouldn't have any impact on the rest of the car.

I believe that the Magnuson-Moss act prevents car sellers from denying warranty claims on a vehicle just because aftermarket parts are installed. They must prove that the aftermarket part caused a defect in the vehicle.

Quote:
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”
http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

Sorry to hear this dealership is trying to swindle you.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Demiurge

That was a very helpful message, thank you

Quote:
If you have any proof that you sold the car to them with the stipulation you would get the tires mounted, now's the time to use it.
There isn't really any proof, except emails for sales guy acknowledging what I wanted to do. I didn't feel the need to get it in writing, as I didn't expect the place to be a scam, but a business that cares if I come back... I told them exactly what to do, and 4 people around me heard it loud and clear:

1. take winter tires off rsx
2. put summer tires on rsx
3. buy steel wheels for frs
4. put winter tires on steel wheels on frs

Talking to the sales guy last night, he told me the technicians name, so hes not "in on it", I don't think. Ended up saying the 'rsx is gone' but he's "ask" the guy about the tires. Even if they give them back and fix scratches inside (other thing I didn't even mention above, trying to stay on topic of steel wheels , I probably want to go to another dealership for service from now on.
didn't mean to hijack the thread, posted continuation here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27231

Last edited by Demiurge; 01-24-2013 at 11:20 AM.